Another humidifying question

tainauke

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I finally bought a hygrometre (an Oasis OH-2) and saw that the humidity in my ukulele case was around 48% with 2 Herco humidifiers and an Oasis OH-6 all 3 just filled.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried that the humidity in the case isn't going over 50% with 3 filled humidifiers?

I don't know if this changes anything, but the case is new (about 1 week) and it's a Reunion Blues case.

Should I buy a "tougher" humidifier" or is this normal for a new case?
Worried, and don't want my ukulele to crack.

Finally, one last question, when you fly with your ukulele, are your humidifiers in the case? And if so, how do you secure them so that they don't move around freely in the case with the risk of scratching the intrument.

I appreciate all wisdom, input and advice in advance.

48% humidity level is good, try to keep it there. If your uke cracks in the case with 48% humidity, there is something wrong with the ukes construction.

Hello to all,

I finally bought a hygrometre (an Oasis OH-2) and saw that the humidity in my ukulele case was around 48% with 2 Herco humidifiers and an Oasis OH-6 all 3 just filled.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried that the humidity in the case isn't going over 50% with 3 filled humidifiers?

I don't know if this changes anything, but the case is new (about 1 week) and it's a Reunion Blues case.

Finally, one last question, when you fly with your ukulele, are your humidifiers in the case? And if so, how do you secure them so that they don't move around freely in the case with the risk of scratching the intrument.

I appreciate all wisdom, input and advice in advance.

Hello to all,

A hygrometer you can calibrate is better. I've tried several hygrometers that could not be calibrated and found them all to be off by a lot. Google "hygrometer salt test", do the test and see how far off yours is. You might find it's reading low. Oasis puts their name on a common hygrometer mass produced under several names. The two I tried (same unit under different names) were way off and ended up in the trash.

I have a couple of these and both work very well. http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/madelaine_adjustable_round_digital_hygrometer.aspx?SRC=ShoppingCom You can find them on ebay fairly often too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Skinny Money McGee, will check it out.

For the time being, I felt I had to do something - the humidity had dropped to 31% with the 3 humidifiers still in. I read somewhere that so long as the humidity doesn't drop below 20%, it's still ok - but I really don't want to chance it (my ukulele is my baby).
Seeing as the new ukulele case had come with dehydrating crystals, I took a humid rag and passed it all inside the case. I got a reading of 90% humidity and let the case "dry" out a bit. I am now with a reading of 53%.
Will have to watch this though.

Has anyone had this with a new ukulele case?

Helicopter 001.jpgHelicopter 002.jpg

I do not try to humidify in my case of any type (why mold up a nice Reunion Blues case?) unless I am on the go. At home, plastic underbed storage box, one gallon freezer bags simply left open at the top, and one dollar car wash sponges. Humidity: 40-60%, and refill the freezer bags every three months.

View attachment 50375View attachment 50376

I do not try to humidify in my case of any type (why mold up a nice Reunion Blues case?) unless I am on the go. At home, plastic underbed storage box, one gallon freezer bags simply left open at the top, and one dollar car wash sponges. Humidity: 40-60%, and refill the freezer bags every three months.

Great tip, mahalo........Bo.....

Top Bottom