Mahalo baritone for $240???

itsme

Reaction score
I went for a walk by myself today and decided to go into a little pawn shop that had quite a few ukes there a year or so ago. Only two this time, a soprano and a mahogany Mahalo bari.

I didn't note the model #, but it had pegs and one of them wouldn't tune. They wanted $240 for it! I said no thanks, and she said I could always make them an offer.

Come home and google Mahalo baris and it seems the only one out there is the U-320B that can be had online for $75 brand new.

Could this be some rare, prized vintage model? Or did she read an extra zero on the price tag? The pegs make me think someone either swapped them out or it's a discontinued model.

She Probally doesn't know much about ukes and assumed it look like it was worth that much...that those pawn shops for you....start high, and if it don't sell drop the price...ha ha

It's a pawn shop...nuff said. Seriously, that's way out of line for any Mahalo. Years ago I was in a pawn shop and I saw a cheap Squier strat where somebody had obviously scratched the "Squier" of the headstock. The guy running the shop swore up and down that it was a real Fender and somebody had scraped the Fender off the headstock. (The decals aren't the same shape so that was obviously a lie never mind that no one would be likely to scrape a Fender decal.)

Anyway, it was a current model out of Korea or China or someplace like that and he was asking about three times what you coud buy it for brand new in Guitar Center - and wouldn't budge on the price even when I told him that I knew exactly what it was.

Some people are just crooks. And a disproportionate number of them seem to end up running pawn shops...

John

Some people are just crooks. And a disproportionate number of them seem to end up running pawn shops...

No offense to any pawn shop owners out there, but thanks, John. I just got my laugh for the night.

Top Bottom