Ukes strung through the body?

Koa Soprano

Reaction score
Looking at a Brad Donaldson review on Ukeeke he mentioned the uke is strung through the body. I'm not so much a player as a builder so how does one string a uke like this? I'm intrigued by the string tention not being solely on the bridge with this design.

Do you feed the string through from the front, find the end through the soundhole, put the knot in and then pull back from the front?

Please be sure to get a numbered drill bit that just barely lets the 3rd string pass through.. if you do that, only #1 & 4 need the extra little tail run back through the knot to not pull through.

This is the method Rick Turner showed us when I took his class at The Crucible. After grabbing the string through the sound hole, he also slides a glass bead over the string before tying a figure 8 knot.

That's the way to do it if the bridge plate is wood or if there is no bridge plate at all. With the carbon plates that I use, just the knot is enough if, as Bill suggests, you drill appropriately sized holes.

This is the method Rick Turner showed us when I took his class at The Crucible. After grabbing the string through the sound hole, he also slides a glass bead over the string before tying a figure 8 knot.

That's a good tip. I'll also probably get two drill bits for two larger inner holes, 2nd and 3rd strings, and two smaller outer holes, 1st and 4th strings. I wonder if a hardwood bridge plate would be better with this design, acoustic guitars typically use Maple and I've seen Rosewood used. I've always used Spruce on my ukes.

Top Bottom