PDA

View Full Version : Ukes strung through the body?

Koa Soprano
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Looking at a Brad Donaldson review on Ukeeke he mentioned the uke is strung through the body. I'm not so much a player as a builder so how does one string a uke like this? I'm intrigued by the string tention not being solely on the bridge with this design.

Do you feed the string through from the front, find the end through the soundhole, put the knot in and then pull back from the front?

mketom
03-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Do you feed the string through from the front, find the end through the soundhole, put the knot in and then pull back from the front?

You got it... As you mention, there is less tension on the bridge itself.

Koa Soprano
03-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Cool, thanks, I think I will give this a try on my next build.

Macmuse
03-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Cool, thanks, I think I will give this a try on my next build.

Take a look at this thread for the Ono builds: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?68872-Next-Up-The-Curly-Twins/page12&highlight=curly+twins

:)

That links to the page with my question about the strings but previous pages show the work in progress.

TheCraftedCow
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Please be sure to get a numbered drill bit that just barely lets the 3rd string pass through.. if you do that, only #1 & 4 need the extra little tail run back through the knot to not pull through.

Dougf
03-16-2013, 03:38 AM
This is the method Rick Turner showed us when I took his class at The Crucible. After grabbing the string through the sound hole, he also slides a glass bead over the string before tying a figure 8 knot.

saltytri
03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
That's the way to do it if the bridge plate is wood or if there is no bridge plate at all. With the carbon plates that I use, just the knot is enough if, as Bill suggests, you drill appropriately sized holes.

UKEonomics
03-16-2013, 04:43 AM
I've seen a builder (can't remember who) on Youtube that uses this technique. Seems like this would keep the uke from having any bridge lifting problems down the road.

Koa Soprano
03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
This is the method Rick Turner showed us when I took his class at The Crucible. After grabbing the string through the sound hole, he also slides a glass bead over the string before tying a figure 8 knot.

That's a good tip. I'll also probably get two drill bits for two larger inner holes, 2nd and 3rd strings, and two smaller outer holes, 1st and 4th strings. I wonder if a hardwood bridge plate would be better with this design, acoustic guitars typically use Maple and I've seen Rosewood used. I've always used Spruce on my ukes.