I Can Sing and Play!

Kyle23

Reaction score
Phew, took me awhile to get it. I was looking towards getting a singer to follow me around everywhere while I play and they sing... lol but really, it's a big weight off. Learning to play is great and all, but being able to sing with it makes it even more fun. I have to admit, I'm a terrible singer so I have to work on that. Anyone else just learn how to sing and play at the same time?

Hey, great job, singing and playing opens up whole new possibilities.

When I first started to play I was scared to sing in front of anyone. I would play the song and sing it in my head to keep time. I don't care who hears me anymore and believe me, I'm not that good. But the uke keeps me in key at least. Good job and keep singing!

I'm a terrible singer, but I keep muddling along. I get distracted and sometimes stop singing when I get to tricky chord changes and then there's the whole lack of range thing. Glad you are getting the hang of it!

I'm a terrible singer, but I keep muddling along. I get distracted and sometimes stop singing when I get to tricky chord changes and then there's the whole lack of range thing. Glad you are getting the hang of it!

Yeah that happens to me. And sometimes I forget to breathe and have to stop hahahaha. So much going on that I forget to even breathe. Jeez.

Yeah that happens to me. And sometimes I forget to breathe and have to stop hahahaha. So much going on that I forget to even breathe. Jeez.

tumblr_mjf6b4eXH61qms9jto7_250.gif

I used to sing in a choir when I was in school but I've never had a strong voice and I can't sing very high, my range is really limited (mainly by my confidence, I won't even belt out a tune as loud as I can in the house alone!).

I still enjoy singing along to my uke. I've always been one to medicate myself with music when I'm feeling down, singing a song and strumming along just makes me feel happy. :) I also find that singing helps me to keep in time, almost as good as a metronome.

I never liked singing till I got the uke...it took me a year before I could do both...I don't like my voice but other people swear they love it...I still like to play instrumentals...it's fun too...

Awesome! How long have you been at it? Six weeks or so in, and I'm still stumbling along with chord changes.

hooray for singing and playing! i'm just starting to get the hang of doing both at once as well :nana: such a good feeling!

Sounds familiar! :agree:

IMHO this is the core of ukulele: Strumming and singing a song! As good as some of these pickers are their youtube videos are kind of empty to me.

I was so focused on playing right that I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket at first while I played. And my loving husband was very quick to criticize. So I stopped singing in front of him completely. Now however I find that I am back in tune since I am more familiar with the chords and can pay attention to my voice while I play. I think it actually made me a better player by making me learn my chords through hand memory more than through thinking about it so much.

Rita

i sing along with playing uke,
both singing and uke playing not up to much, but really enjoy it, to me thats what matters

I have been playing, and singing poorly, for 2 + years and just lately I have started to sing real softly when practicing because I have gotten good enough to notice that my chord changes can be a little bit sloppy so I am practicing having a nice clean switch between chords.

When I play I noticed that everyone would sing along with me for the first 2 lines and then stop as they did not know the words. So now I carry around some sheets with the lyrics to pass out. You'll find lots of people are willing to sing, but they just don't know the words.

Happy Strumming!

Top Bottom