PDA

View Full Version : KoAloha Ukes

haolejohn
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Alright. Today I called Koaloha ukulele in Honolulu. I was checking to see if they had a student line (they do) and wanted to inquire about the time it would take to get a tenor. I knew their tenor is difficult to get and knew their was a back order but that is a good thing when you don't have the money to pay for one right now. While I was talking to one of the managers (Brian or Bryan) I heard the sound of a KoAloha uke. I had never heard one before and had only seen pictures of the real deal. I feel in love with the sound. I know now that I will buy a KoAloha uke soon. Great experience dealing with the company today. Now I just got to save up some money or donate an organ to the black market in Europe.

Kaneohe til the end
12-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Alright. Today I called Koaloha ukulele in Honolulu. I was checking to see if they had a student line (they do) and wanted to inquire about the time it would take to get a tenor. I knew their tenor is difficult to get and knew their was a back order but that is a good thing when you don't have the money to pay for one right now. While I was talking to one of the managers (Brian or Bryan) I heard the sound of a KoAloha uke. I had never heard one before and had only seen pictures of the real deal. I feel in love with the sound. I know now that I will buy a KoAloha uke soon. Great experience dealing with the company today. Now I just got to save up some money or donate an organ to the black market in Europe.

trust me on this one. you WILL NOT be dissapointed. I am still in love with my tenor. From the day i got it til today, i have lost none of the lust for it. Buttery playability, awesome projection and volume, and aesthetically the best for the price. every time i pick it up it's like god decided to give the world jesus again.

And honestly, dare i say it, i dont desire for another ukulele. of course i would like to have one, but i am just so content that i dont need another. (but guitars are another story)

uluapoundr
12-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Haolejohn,
I have owned 3 Koaloha ukes, a soprano, a concert, and a tenor. I mostly play tenors so I sold my concert and soprano but I have to say that they were really great ukes. Small ukes that were very responsive and definitely held the traditional sound. I have a tenor which was made back in 2001. I love how responsive it is, you can feel it vibrating against your belly when you strum it. My father loves ukes, has a bunch of ukes that he has fixed, but never owned an uke that cost more than $300 and probably would never spend more than that. So, this Christmas, I'm giving my dad the Koaloha Tenor.

If you are looking for an uke that looks and sounds "Hawaii", then you'll love a Koaloha. I've only heard good things about the people who make them, which to me is important when purchasing an uke. Keep an eye on ebay and the FMM board for used Koalaohas.

Kawika_san
12-16-2008, 10:44 PM
no doubts, KoAloha builds them right! I bought a tenor sceptre a couple weeks ago, and it is like a spoiled baby, I never put em' down! The volume and projection you gotta hear it in the flesh to appreciate, I haven't heard another with a voice like this. Better than investing in wallstreet!!!

deach
12-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Not only are the ukes great but the people there are just incredible. They put my "RussBuss-ing" skills to shame.

uber_goober
12-17-2008, 04:26 AM
haolejohn, I have to agree with everyone else. I have two KoAloha ukuleles (a concert and a long neck pineapple) and I love them. They sound great, play great, and I've talked with the folks at KoAloha several times and they're just awesome. You can't go wrong.

-John

JAvendan
12-17-2008, 04:31 AM
just adding...

i got my koaloha tenor from MGM and is strung with clear worths(?) in low g... sounds awesome!

get one if you can.

joel

russ_buss
12-17-2008, 05:37 AM
i played somebody's koaloha last weekend at an uke gathering and felt mighty envious. the thing sounded great. shawty iz a ten!

They put my "RussBuss-ing" skills to shame.

what the heck are you smoking??? can i have some?

haole
12-17-2008, 07:03 AM
KoAloha really does make ukes worth selling an organ for. :eek: I've heard nothing but praise from everyone who's dealt with the company, too. Assuming I had $1400 to spend, I'd get me a Pineapple Sunday.

haolejohn
12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Kaneohe til the end;79025] every time i pick it up it's like god decided to give the world jesus again.

QUOTE]

Now that is setting the standard high. I feel though that after I get mine it'll be the same feeling. I'm coming to Kaneohe this summer during summer break (6 weeks) to visit my wifes cousin and husband (stationed there) and I can't wait to visit my old home. Now I am trying to decide if I want to buy the uke in January or wait until the summer when I can save a little money on shipping. Decisions decisions.

I almowt bought two from ebay and FMM but the wife wasn't behind the idea of me dropping that much money on another uke. After getting off the phone and hearing the story of the company I shared it all with my wife and she is now open to the idea.

Lanark
12-17-2008, 12:36 PM
just adding...

i got my koaloha tenor from MGM and is strung with clear worths(?) in low g... sounds awesome!

get one if you can.

joel

Hey, I just strung up my concert with Worth Clear Mediums this afternoon and I'm digging on these strings on the Koaloha uke too.

Howie1947
12-18-2008, 05:42 AM
I have 3 KoAloha ukes, my newest edition a superconcert. Also have a soprano, which has a wonderful sound, and lastly I have a pikake concert. I dont think the company makes the "pikake" style anymore. They are all fantastic !

koalohapaul
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Aloha Everyone,

Thank you for all the kind words. I check this forum a couple times a week, so feel free to ask me any questions. I'm Paul, from KoAloha, not Paul a KoAloha fan. Well, it is my family's business, so I AM a fan, but you know.

Take care,
Paul

haolejohn
12-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Paul,
That Brian guy you got working there was super friendly. Best customer service I have ever received.

uluapoundr
12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Aloha Everyone,

Thank you for all the kind words. I check this forum a couple times a week, so feel free to ask me any questions. I'm Paul, from KoAloha, not Paul a KoAloha fan. Well, it is my family's business, so I AM a fan, but you know.

Take care,
Paul

Paul, we should be thanking you for the beautiful instrument you and your family make. It must be cool to know that your instruments are making lovely music around the world. Welcome to the forum. Aloha!

DeG
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Someone should write a KoAloha tribute song..like "All I want for Christmas is a Pineapple Sunday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8svl5UEBo)" :D

Scorpex
12-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Haven't seen anybody slag Koaloha yet...and it ain't gonna be me! I was lucky enough to buy a Concert Pikake from MGM during the year, just before the Australian dollar fell 35% against the USD. The uke is just superb...great dynamics and sound. It makes people's jaws drop when they hold it and play it. I love the satin finish of the Pikake. Bring it back, I say!!

haolejohn
12-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Someone should write a KoAloha tribute song..like "All I want for Christmas is a Pineapple Sunday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr8svl5UEBo)" :D

Deg, Loved the hat and the song. I found another ukester here in metro atlanta and he is a dealer as well (kala brand). U interested in a uke get together?

I just realized my next post will be my 100th post. Maybe I need to write a song about 100th post and post the video?

Kaneohe til the end
12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Deg, Loved the hat and the song. I found another ukester here in metro atlanta and he is a dealer as well (kala brand). U interested in a uke get together?

I just realized my next post will be my 100th post. Maybe I need to write a song about 100th post and post the video?

Just don't post anything before that. That could be difficult

DeG
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks! I was trying to look really needy in that video so Santa (aka my wife) would take pity on me and deach me with nice uke for Christmas. I'll let you know if my scheme works.:) I think the price tag on the Pineapple Sunday set her back a bit, but we'll see... I'm determined to get one someday at any rate.

A get together could be a possibility. My friend (Tsani on UU) would probably be interested too. PM me if you get something scheduled.

Congrats on your soon to be "senior member" status!

kingmarki
12-20-2008, 02:51 AM
I just bought my first quality ukulele in August. I only had a cheapie I bought at the swap before, but that's what i learned on. So I started researching and decided to buy the KoAloha Super Concert and it is truly one of the greatest instruments I have ever played. I been playing for over 30 years, guitar mostly, 1961 Fender Strat, Martin Eric Clapton and so know good instruments, but this freaking KoAloha makes me want to not play guitar. I hate to say it, but I'm a convert and only want to jam on the ukulele now. All my damn friends want to play it, but I just can't let them IT'S MINE! Get your own I say! Peace!:D

koalohapaul
12-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Cool song, DeG! You know, I only got my own Pineapple Sunday recently. My dad made a special one for Kathy Sakuma, and snuck one more into the build for me. He asked Kekani to make a couple of special inlays, one of which had a "p" and "o". I thought nothing of it, and figured it was for someone else, never putting two and two together.

I also don't have a Sceptre. :( When my dad made the first run, he promised one to everyone in the company. Everyone picked theirs out before the spray, and marked them on the inside. Ben and I decided to wait until the spray was done. Long story short, a young, talented player really wanted to get one, so my dad sold him mine. :(

We actually do make the Pikake. We discontinued it, but we had a ton on back order. In the time that it took us to catch up the back order, people and dealers kept ordering them. Although we didn't plan to accept any orders, the continued demand was too strong. Before we could effectively discontinue the Pikake, we decided to keep making them. I believe our website wasn't updated since the discontinuing/re-making them, hence the confusion.

drjond56
12-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm in the club too. I have had my tenor for about a year now (courtesy of Noel at UkeLady Music) and it is a stunning instrument. Plays perfectly up the neck, but I continue to be amazed by the sustain. Much better than either of my classical guitars or steel strings. My only problem is with the website--every time I look at the Ebony Sceptre I develop an uncontrollable drool.

Jon

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
It's great to see Koaloha here! I had a difficult email question that wasn't answered, but that's probably because maybe it can't be. I have plans to get a superconcert also. It just keeps callin' my name. Let's put it this way. I don't have many ukes, only 3. One is a uke that's wall decoration and for autograph collecting. Then there are 2 customs. The only manufacture uke that I have is a Koaloha. There's just something about them that keeps me coming back.

While I am selling my ksm-00, only because I have to keep the family peace by selling one for every one that comes in, It'll still be replaced by the superconcert, so the ratio I mentioned above will still be the same.

That's cool how your dad just completely surprised you with something right in plain site. :)

DeG
12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Cool song, DeG! You know, I only got my own Pineapple Sunday recently. My dad made a special one for Kathy Sakuma, and snuck one more into the build for me. He asked Kekani to make a couple of special inlays, one of which had a "p" and "o". I thought nothing of it, and figured it was for someone else, never putting two and two together.

Thanks! Do you have any pictures of your customized Pineapple Sunday? I'd love to see it. Kekani's inlay work is some of the best... I'm sure it's beautiful.

koalohapaul
12-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Plainsong,

Was your e-mail regarding the warranty and longevity of our instruments? If so, it was hard to answer, and we have been more than usually busy for the past couple of weeks. It's the Christmas rush, I got a new worker, and I promoted one of my senior luthiers to shop manager. Couple that with a trip to Kaua'i to look at some wood, and I also got sick. I apologize for not responding sooner, though. Brian forwarded the e-mail to me and my brother. I thought he would have replied by now, but we've been putting him to work in the shop. To answer the question shortly, our instruments are built with the intention of lasting a lifetime. I don't know how the unibrace can be purposely designed to fail and I don't know why or where such a rumor came from. From a pure physics perspective, the unibrace is stronger and will last longer than traditional separate bracings. The sound and traditionality of it can be debated, but there is no way that it makes the ukulele weaker, nor do we design them to fail in 2-3 years. I don't know how we would be able to time that, nor would it make any sense, given our lifetime warranty. If we did design our ukes to fall apart in a given amount of time, we would lose money in the long run, having to replace A LOT of ukulele. We're one of the top three producers in Hawaii, so a lot of the world's high end production ukulele will ultimately come from us. As for how to combat the rumor, I don't know what to say. It is definitely disheartening to hear that our name is being spoken of ill heartedly overseas, but there isn't much we can do about it. My family and my extended family of my crew stand behind what we do 100%. A lot of hard work and aloha goes into the crafting of each ukulele. We are primarily a production shop, but each uke gets individual attention along the way. The best we can do is keep making the best ukulele we can and hopefully the rumors will go away.

If that wasn't the e-mail that I'm thinking about, um, nevermind...

DeG,

I'll see if I can get some pictures up soon. I just ordered a new camera for my Christmas present. Hopefully Santa will deliver it before Christmas. I've been primarily good.

Plainsong
12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Well I knew from a common sense standpoint, the great warranty no one questions, it would make zero sense, I was just curious what the technical answer would be. There are some local ukesters lurking here, so hopefully, you saying that is like you're sitting in the pub with us saying that. :)

Kaneohe til the end
12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been primarily good.

i say this alot, especially around christmas

Kekani
12-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks! Do you have any pictures of your customized Pineapple Sunday? I'd love to see it. Kekani's inlay work is some of the best... I'm sure it's beautiful.

Thanks - much appreciated. Paul's was simple, and meaningful - sometimes these are the best ones.

Paul has given me a lot of opportunity to work outside of the box with him, so you'll see a bunch of my (I should say "our") work on KoAloha `ukulele. Don't let Paul fool you, he has skills as an inlay artist as well, and we've spent many hours in my shop cutting, routing, cutting, routing . . .

Glad to hear he's getting a camera - there are a number of inlays that went out with no final picture to show for it (of course, we have the raw pics).

-Aaron

Poi Dog
12-21-2008, 12:53 AM
I love my KoAloha Tenor BIGTIME! :D

as noted in my "sig". LOL

dsummers
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I never had or played a uke. I am mainly a guitar player and have some nice guitars (Rockbridge, Collings, Goodall). I have been searching for a uke for quite awhile and doing the research and have decided on the KoAloha. I was having a hard time deciding between a Kanile'a k-1 tenor and the KoAloha tenor and actually got to hear a comparison between the two New Years Day. I loved both. One was a KoAloha Superconcert and the other was a Kanile'a tenor with a cedar top. Both sounded beautiful. I just bit the bullet and chose the KoAloha because there was as sustain that seemed to grab me by a hair more. The Kanile'a seemed to project a little better and it was causing a vibration on the KoAloha as I was holding it against my body (I had to watch as someone was playing the two as I have no clue on how to play one- can't wait to get started). I do have a feeling I'll be selling or trading some guitars to get some more ukes (I'll keep the Collings as it is being built for me as we speak). My KoAloha tenor should arrive Friday. I'm new to this forum and I will be viewing it a lot to get some insight and if I ask some stupid questions- have mercy on this old man.
Thanks all!!!

thejumpingflea
01-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I never had or played a uke. I am mainly a guitar player and have some nice guitars (Rockbridge, Collings, Goodall). I have been searching for a uke for quite awhile and doing the research and have decided on the KoAloha. I was having a hard time deciding between a Kanile'a k-1 tenor and the KoAloha tenor and actually got to hear a comparison between the two New Years Day. I loved both. One was a KoAloha Superconcert and the other was a Kanile'a tenor with a cedar top. Both sounded beautiful. I just bit the bullet and chose the KoAloha because there was as sustain that seemed to grab me by a hair more. The Kanile'a seemed to project a little better and it was causing a vibration on the KoAloha as I was holding it against my body (I had to watch as someone was playing the two as I have no clue on how to play one- can't wait to get started). I do have a feeling I'll be selling or trading some guitars to get some more ukes (I'll keep the Collings as it is being built for me as we speak). My KoAloha tenor should arrive Friday. I'm new to this forum and I will be viewing it a lot to get some insight and if I ask some stupid questions- have mercy on this old man.
Thanks all!!!

Welcome to UU!!

KoAloha make great ukes! Congrats on the purpose.

deach
01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks all!!!

You can feel good that you bought a great uke from a company that actually cares.

haolejohn
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
DSSummers,
Welcome to UU.

I'm jealous that you are getting yours on Friday. I just got to wait a little bit longer but now I wonder if I need to wait even a little bit longer to get a Scepetre?