KoAloha Ukes

haolejohn

Reaction score
Alright. Today I called Koaloha ukulele in Honolulu. I was checking to see if they had a student line (they do) and wanted to inquire about the time it would take to get a tenor. I knew their tenor is difficult to get and knew their was a back order but that is a good thing when you don't have the money to pay for one right now. While I was talking to one of the managers (Brian or Bryan) I heard the sound of a KoAloha uke. I had never heard one before and had only seen pictures of the real deal. I feel in love with the sound. I know now that I will buy a KoAloha uke soon. Great experience dealing with the company today. Now I just got to save up some money or donate an organ to the black market in Europe.

Alright. Today I called Koaloha ukulele in Honolulu. I was checking to see if they had a student line (they do) and wanted to inquire about the time it would take to get a tenor. I knew their tenor is difficult to get and knew their was a back order but that is a good thing when you don't have the money to pay for one right now. While I was talking to one of the managers (Brian or Bryan) I heard the sound of a KoAloha uke. I had never heard one before and had only seen pictures of the real deal. I feel in love with the sound. I know now that I will buy a KoAloha uke soon. Great experience dealing with the company today. Now I just got to save up some money or donate an organ to the black market in Europe.

trust me on this one. you WILL NOT be dissapointed. I am still in love with my tenor. From the day i got it til today, i have lost none of the lust for it. Buttery playability, awesome projection and volume, and aesthetically the best for the price. every time i pick it up it's like god decided to give the world jesus again.

And honestly, dare i say it, i dont desire for another ukulele. of course i would like to have one, but i am just so content that i dont need another. (but guitars are another story)

Last edited:
Haolejohn,
I have owned 3 Koaloha ukes, a soprano, a concert, and a tenor. I mostly play tenors so I sold my concert and soprano but I have to say that they were really great ukes. Small ukes that were very responsive and definitely held the traditional sound. I have a tenor which was made back in 2001. I love how responsive it is, you can feel it vibrating against your belly when you strum it. My father loves ukes, has a bunch of ukes that he has fixed, but never owned an uke that cost more than $300 and probably would never spend more than that. So, this Christmas, I'm giving my dad the Koaloha Tenor.

If you are looking for an uke that looks and sounds "Hawaii", then you'll love a Koaloha. I've only heard good things about the people who make them, which to me is important when purchasing an uke. Keep an eye on ebay and the FMM board for used Koalaohas.

no doubts, KoAloha builds them right! I bought a tenor sceptre a couple weeks ago, and it is like a spoiled baby, I never put em' down! The volume and projection you gotta hear it in the flesh to appreciate, I haven't heard another with a voice like this. Better than investing in wallstreet!!!

just adding...

i got my koaloha tenor from MGM and is strung with clear worths(?) in low g... sounds awesome!

get one if you can.

joel

KoAloha really does make ukes worth selling an organ for. :eek: I've heard nothing but praise from everyone who's dealt with the company, too. Assuming I had $1400 to spend, I'd get me a Pineapple Sunday.

every time i pick it up it's like god decided to give the world jesus again.

QUOTE]

Now that is setting the standard high. I feel though that after I get mine it'll be the same feeling. I'm coming to Kaneohe this summer during summer break (6 weeks) to visit my wifes cousin and husband (stationed there) and I can't wait to visit my old home. Now I am trying to decide if I want to buy the uke in January or wait until the summer when I can save a little money on shipping. Decisions decisions.

I almowt bought two from ebay and FMM but the wife wasn't behind the idea of me dropping that much money on another uke. After getting off the phone and hearing the story of the company I shared it all with my wife and she is now open to the idea.

Last edited:
I have 3 KoAloha ukes, my newest edition a superconcert. Also have a soprano, which has a wonderful sound, and lastly I have a pikake concert. I dont think the company makes the "pikake" style anymore. They are all fantastic !

Hey Paul,
That Brian guy you got working there was super friendly. Best customer service I have ever received.

Aloha Everyone,

Thank you for all the kind words. I check this forum a couple times a week, so feel free to ask me any questions. I'm Paul, from KoAloha, not Paul a KoAloha fan. Well, it is my family's business, so I AM a fan, but you know.

Take care,
Paul

Paul, we should be thanking you for the beautiful instrument you and your family make. It must be cool to know that your instruments are making lovely music around the world. Welcome to the forum. Aloha!

Haven't seen anybody slag Koaloha yet...and it ain't gonna be me! I was lucky enough to buy a Concert Pikake from MGM during the year, just before the Australian dollar fell 35% against the USD. The uke is just superb...great dynamics and sound. It makes people's jaws drop when they hold it and play it. I love the satin finish of the Pikake. Bring it back, I say!!

Someone should write a KoAloha tribute song..like "All I want for Christmas is a Pineapple Sunday" :D

Deg, Loved the hat and the song. I found another ukester here in metro atlanta and he is a dealer as well (kala brand). U interested in a uke get together?

I just realized my next post will be my 100th post. Maybe I need to write a song about 100th post and post the video?

Last edited:
Deg, Loved the hat and the song. I found another ukester here in metro atlanta and he is a dealer as well (kala brand). U interested in a uke get together?

I just realized my next post will be my 100th post. Maybe I need to write a song about 100th post and post the video?

Just don't post anything before that. That could be difficult

Thanks! I was trying to look really needy in that video so Santa (aka my wife) would take pity on me and deach me with nice uke for Christmas. I'll let you know if my scheme works.:) I think the price tag on the Pineapple Sunday set her back a bit, but we'll see... I'm determined to get one someday at any rate.

A get together could be a possibility. My friend (Tsani on UU) would probably be interested too. PM me if you get something scheduled.

Congrats on your soon to be "senior member" status!

Top Bottom