headstock design

Which headstock design orientation do you like?

• Total voters

Dino

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a build and am working on my headstock. I have the design in mind but would like to see which way others think the orientation looks best. I have the pattern cut out and on top the head stock. I will put this up as a poll. Thanks for your participation!

Attachments

• IMG_20130316_091551.jpg
    IMG_20130316_091551.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20130316_091632.jpg
    IMG_20130316_091632.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I vote for the first pic... Rounded doohickey part on top.

That is an interesting design.

Oh, what are you thinking for tuners? Any overlay? - that might change my vote.

Thanks for your vote. Tuners will be geared ones. I wasn't planning any inlay. I will take a picture of what the wood looks like under my pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_20130316_100456.jpg
    IMG_20130316_100456.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
My 2 cents, so take this critique with a grain of salt. It's not meant to demean your efforts.

It's over the top in its design without having a symmetry that may be able to support the concept. Think pineapple top for instance which works on the design aspect and still very busy.

It's very easy to go out on a limb with design elements, colors, trim, embellishment, inlay, etc. and they may have a certain instant appeal, but try and think about a month from now, a year from now, 10 years from now. Will you still like it? Will others like it? How about spending all that time trying to build an instrument and showing it off once completed and the reaction to it's looks being.....well, less than enthusiastic.

Simple and classic designs got that way for a reason.

I like Wilma.

Given the option of the same uke with a conventionalish shape, I'd go for convention.

I do like the "haircut" style headstocks.

Aloha Dino,
It's the same design flipped around....to me looks unbalanced and bulky...I know you asked for a Poll, but neither suits me...sorry....
BTW what does the design signify anyways.....

Hey Stan,
Thanks for your opinion. No signification. Just kind of going by how the patter of the wood is.

My 2 cents, so take this critique with a grain of salt. It's not meant to demean your efforts.

It's over the top in its design without having a symmetry that may be able to support the concept. Think pineapple top for instance which works on the design aspect and still very busy.

It's very easy to go out on a limb with design elements, colors, trim, embellishment, inlay, etc. and they may have a certain instant appeal, but try and think about a month from now, a year from now, 10 years from now. Will you still like it? Will others like it? How about spending all that time trying to build an instrument and showing it off once completed and the reaction to it's looks being.....well, less than enthusiastic.

Simple and classic designs got that way for a reason.

No hard feelings. Thanks for your opinion.

Hey Dino..i live Wahiawa haha
how long you been building I am thinking of taking the Hanalima class for fun what you think?

Thanks for your vote. Tuners will be geared ones. I wasn't planning any inlay. I will take a picture of what the wood looks like under my pattern.

When you say geared tuners, do you mean 90•? With the knobs protruding to the sides? Or UPT tuners, which are geared, but are oriented like friction tuners? I think knobs projecting to the side might put this design over the top.

That being said, if this is your design for the uke that is just for you and you are just looking for an opinion on which way to face it, then I still vote for curve on top.

I recently posted a headstock poll and was really surprised by the results. Some good input. Some that didn't really address what I was looking for - which turned out to be another valuable kind of input. The bottom line is that when asking for opinions, you are going to get just that. So for what it is worth, I like your design although I can see why others might not.
My sister-in-law creates fragrances professionally and never tires of saying "Everybody has a different nose." Too true. So if this uke is just for you, then disregard all of the "change it" votes and take the other results with a grain of salt. If it is just for you, do what you like best. You won't ever really know unless you do it. And if it turns out down the road that you don't like it as much as you used to, then you have learned something and you can build another. The one thing I can say for sure is that the headstock design will not be the only thing you may want to change, regardless of how much thought you put into it ahead of time. Opinions have their place, and the voice of experience of others is very valuable, but direct experience is the best teacher.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom