Worth Brown Strings on Koaloha soprano really sounds more deeper?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi,
I really need to know if some worth brown strings (normal tension, High G) could really makes my koaloha soprano sounds with a little more bass... Anyone try? I always use worth clear on my koa ukes!

I don't know about koa, but Worth browns sound like crap on my cigar box ukes. I love Worth browns on my mahogany tenor, though.

The browns definitely produce more low overtones, creating a warmer sound (more bass). But if the instrument won't also support those frequencies then it just ends up sounding dead. But hey, strings are cheap. so try it and see.

I use Worth browns on my mahogany tenor. It sounds great for blues and pop. I also use them on my resonator to keep it from sounding too tinny. I use Aquila nylguts on my CBU's which works really well for old tin pan alley stuff.

Last edited:
They sure warm up my koaloha concert. Tried a few of my favorites before i settled on the WBs. They add depth for sure.

It is what brittni used to play in her golden ages of KoAloha and they did sound warm, on my super-concert I use the clear fats but I don't think they have them for soprano scale.

I can't speak to any Koaloha experience, but Worth BMs are the bassiest strings I've payed in general.

If they can't give you more low range, I don't know what will.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited:
I'd give the martin M600 a try....or if you can handle thicker strings...Koolau Alohi strings warmer and sweeter:)

I too use Worth clears on my Koaloha. But I've tried the browns, which Worth says are more mellow. (In fact I think it arrived, new with the browns.) I couldn't tell any difference.

I have placed browns on all my personal ukes except my newest concert (mahogany with the phd strings).

I really like the browns. I felt that it changed the sound of my koalohas. I also went low g on them all.

You won't regret it. I'm a worth brown addict. Firstly tried them on my Mainland Cedar and they mellowed it slightly, then my Kanile'a Islander (thought they might be too mellow) and they sound and play like butter and then I put them on - everything!!!! - :D

Top Bottom