PDA

View Full Version : Plastic ukulele owners chime in, please?

UKEonomics
03-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I've been watching this ebay auction (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISLANDER-UKULELE-/181100642738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2a7081b2) the last few days and really wishing that this plastic Islander didn't have a missing tuner.

As I share my remorse for the missing tuning machine on facebook, one of my friends suggested that you could try to replace all the tuning machines with pegheads.

I'm not a collector. Just want one of these too play around with. I don't have a plastic ukulele so I can't very well test this idea out. Do any of you plastic uke owners know if this is (or might potentially be) possible?

connor013
03-16-2013, 02:56 PM
So, not much help, but here's what I know:

I've owned a few plastic ukes: an Islander, a Fin-der, and a Mauna Loa. I think each of these ukes' tuners were standard size, (even though they weren't something you could purchase). My guess, therefore, is that you could replace a tuner -- or more likely all four tuners -- without too much trouble.

One aside: of the three I owned, the Islander cost the most and played the second best. The Mauna Loa was the cheapest and was a gem. I wish I hadn't sold it. I mention this not so much as a slight against Islanders, but rather to make the point that, like wooden ukes, all plastic ukes are not equal.

Good luck on the auction.

DHutto
03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
You might look into Peghead tuners... Daly Music has them. I cannot vouch for their performance on plastic ukes... but they are very good friction tuners, which is what you need.

check them out:

http://dalymusic.com/store/pegheds-ukulele-pegs-uke-tuning-peg-set/

Hope this helps!

pdxuke
03-18-2013, 02:41 PM
A bit like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, IMHO haha. Wait and get one with all the parts there. My TV Pal cost me 50 clams. Unless you just want a project I'd wait.

UKEonomics
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
A bit like killing a fly with a sledgehammer, IMHO haha. Wait and get one with all the parts there. My TV Pal cost me 50 clams. Unless you just want a project I'd wait.

Yeah, I think that you're right. Trying to ream a plastic hole to fit a new tuning machine is something that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I think I'll just wait it out for another one.

I appreciate the advice, folks!

stevepetergal
03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
I'd bet it would be very easy to find a cheap set of new tuners that would just fit. No drilling or reaming required. Why change to Pegheads, if you can make it like new?

Karasu
03-19-2013, 05:24 AM
You might look into Peghead tuners... Daly Music has them. I cannot vouch for their performance on plastic ukes... but they are very good friction tuners, which is what you need.

check them out:

http://dalymusic.com/store/pegheds-ukulele-pegs-uke-tuning-peg-set/

Hope this helps!

Pegheds aren't friction tuners, they're geared. They have an internal planetary gearing system. The DO look like friction tuners, tho......

DHutto
03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Pegheds aren't friction tuners, they're geared. They have an internal planetary gearing system. The DO look like friction tuners, tho......

Yeah, I went and was reading more about them on Daly's site... I was mistaken... please forgive me. I just forgot to come back here and correct my mistake. Just trying to help in case the buyers heart was set on that particular plastic Uke...