An epiphany

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
i know it sounds stupid, but today was actually the first time i went to a music store. I tried out these guitars they had, a few (okay, probably over a dozen) acoustic and more than a dozen electrics. to me, i have the guitar hardest to play. All of those others were so... buttery. even the electrics, which i figured would be rougher, were so much easier.

to sum my experience up, i now want an electric for christmas. i saw an epiphone SG special link and i want it. anyone have any reviews of this?

My neighbor's daughter has one. She loves it. She's twelve though.

I played it the other day. It was well made and had nice action. I thought it was actually nicer than the Gibson version especially considering the price difference.

That was my first SG guitar, I've got 3 of them actually lol, I have 2 black ones and a red one. I've had them for 9 years and they sound fantastic!! I am actually putting some EMG 81/85's in my black one....I've played a lot of SG specials and every single one feels like the same guitar. Thats why i keep buying them lol. I can tune them differently. But still keep the same feel of the guitar....

This is just my preference, I like to put light strings on my red one, and Medium strings on my black ones. Where was the one your looking made at? Indosesia or China? Because the ones made in Indosesia are lighter then the ones made in China. Thats why i like the lighter strings on the one made in Indosesia. I can get the higher tones and screams out of it VS the Heavier one. I use that for rhythm......

You won't be disappointed in that guitar!! :music:

SG's are lighter than les pauls usually. and thats about all i can say about that. hahaha. ive never been a big fan of the SG aesthetics, but a cool thing is how streamlined it is. it looks almost as if the neck and the body are once piece. but i prefer the les paul... not the specials though. its gotta at least have the carved top.

the coolest thing about epiphones is the fact that with a little bit extra cash and some soldering know-how and research, its easy to grab a couple of Gibson pickups and replace them, essentially getting the best of both worlds. price and sound. ive found the epiphone pickups to be a little muddy, so i jumped on a pair of gibsons and it made a world of difference.

SG specials are only about $200 right? add another $100 for a used pair of gibson pickups off craigslist and a gibson sticker for the headstock and kapow! on stage, who would really know?

SG's are lighter than les pauls usually. and thats about all i can say about that. hahaha. ive never been a big fan of the SG aesthetics, but a cool thing is how streamlined it is. it looks almost as if the neck and the body are once piece. but i prefer the les paul... not the specials though. its gotta at least have the carved top.

the coolest thing about epiphones is the fact that with a little bit extra cash and some soldering know-how and research, its easy to grab a couple of Gibson pickups and replace them, essentially getting the best of both worlds. price and sound. ive found the epiphone pickups to be a little muddy, so i jumped on a pair of gibsons and it made a world of difference.

SG specials are only about $200 right? add another $100 for a used pair of gibson pickups off craigslist and a gibson sticker for the headstock and kapow! on stage, who would really know?

I think they are running around $150 now, I paid 225 for mine back in the day. That was at a small town guitar store though. HUGE markup lol.

The neck is screwed onto the body on my SG specials. I think all Gibson and Epiphone SG's have screwed on Necks......

haha nuke, we know your secret now !

hope nobody catches on to my Hyundai Escalade sticker swap.:uhoh:

ahhh a fellow ricer. have you seen my car?
ricer-17803.jpg

Top Bottom