Buying a Uke: Setup vs. Stock

ROUGHRIDER13

Reaction score
I am a cellist of 4 years, looking to migrate to the ukulele as a secondary instrument (mini-cello).

Looking to purchase a ukulele at a price of no more than $60. Originally I was debating between the Kala KA-15S and the Lanikai LU-21 (both out of box), but then I read about the importance of having ukuleles setup. So now I'm leaning towards the Makala MK-S from HMS.

Questions:
1) How important is set-up?
2) Between the Kala KA-15S, the Lanikai LU-21 and the setup HMS MK-S, and an EI Makai UK55, which do you recommend for me?
3) What are some more "setup" places other than HMS and Mim's?
4) Do you have any other uke recommendations for me?

Another thing that worries me: the HMS MKS is $5 than the lowest price for a stock MKS on Amazon. So what kind of setup occurs: a thorough one or just some dude playing a few notes and passing it along a conveyor belt?

This is my first post, so I'm not quite sure if this is in the right place.

Thanks,
RR.

Last edited:
Welcome to UU!

I think the beginner board is a good spot for this post. People are really helpful here.

Get the set-up. My only experiences are with HMS, but I know Elderly Instruments and Uke Republic also offer set-ups (along with Mim's, as you mentioned, and likely many others).

My first proper uke was an inexpensive Kala I ordered from HMS (KA-CEM). My first actual uke was a stock piece of junk I ordered from Amazon with no set-up.

I've since played some better ukes, but I'm still impressed with how playable the Kala is. I can't know how much of that was due to HMS, but I am pleased with their service and will continue to buy from them.

Hi, welcome to UU. Not to be a wiseacre, but I assume you've never played a poorly set up cello, or you would have answered your own question. Wherever you buy one, set up is key playability. It would be well worth an extra cost to make sure it is right.

Here is a video that HMS put out on set up in their shop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adeFF0nQyzM

I've seen Mim's shop and have one of her set ups. She does the same type of work.

Bill

The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) is probably your best bet on what you are looking for..the more you read on this site the more you well see how people trust them..one of the best Ukulele shops I have seen..and the prices hard to beat..they setup all their ukes before they send them out

check out
www.theukulelesite.com

I don't work there just my 2 cents..

Get the set up....

If you're like me, dealing with fret buzz and intonation issues won't inspire you to learn. Plus, if you decide the uke isn't for you, having done the set up may get you a better resale value. A good set up shouldn't cost you more than $35...in hindsight I should've shopped from the places mentioned above that do set ups on all their ukes at no extra cost....

Last edited:
If you're like me, dealing with fret buzz and intonation issues won't inspire you to learn. Plus, if you decide the uke isn't for you, having done the set up may get you a better resale value. A good set up shouldn't cost you more than $35....

The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) sets up all their ukes at no charge when you order from them

Welcome to UU!
My first proper uke was an inexpensive Kala I ordered from HMS (KA-CEM). My first actual uke was a stock piece of junk I ordered from Amazon with no set-up.

I've since played some better ukes, but I'm still impressed with how playable the Kala is. I can't know how much of that was due to HMS, but I am pleased with their service and will continue to buy from them.

I'm sure it's the HMS set up. Haven't shopped from them (yet) but I tried out 4 different Kala tenors the other day at a local music store where I live, including the one I purchased, and ALL of them had fret buzz and intonation issues. Nothing a good setup couldn't fix.

The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) sets up all their ukes at no charge when you order from them
Which is why my next purchase will be from them, Uke Republic, or other reputable uke dealers that do set ups. As a guitarist picking up the uke, I should've known that a good setup is priceless.

Which is why my next purchase will be from them, Uke Republic, or other reputable uke dealers that do set ups. As a guitarist picking up the uke, I should've known that a good setup is priceless.

Good luck bruddah and keep on strumming

So what kind of setup occurs: a thorough one or just some dude playing a few notes and passing it along a conveyor belt?

To answer this question... Mim and UkeRepublic are as far as I know just Mim and Mike doing their own set ups. I doubt they have any conveyor belts. You can trust any of the uke dealers mentioned.

naryitexdoctrines

Total noob Uke player here so... I've just recently purchased a lanikai LU21T and a Makala MKA-C , both from Amazon. Having done my homework I knew the importance of getting them set up for top performance , so I took them both to a shop who's initializes are GC, they said they both were fine , but seeing how they had no clue what I meant when I asked them about tuning the tenor low G I wasn't very confident in there opinion . So I then took them to a guitar shop that has been in business for over 25 yrs here in Ocala, they also told me I was good to go with both and no set up was really needed. So luck of the draw I guess but I am very happy with the way they both sound and feel my money was well spent. Good Luck and happy strumming.

Last edited:
I am a cellist of 4 years, looking to migrate to the ukulele as a secondary instrument (mini-cello).

Looking to purchase a ukulele at a price of no more than $60. Originally I was debating between the Kala KA-15S and the Lanikai LU-21 (both out of box), but then I read about the importance of having ukuleles setup. So now I'm leaning towards the Makala MK-S from HMS.

Questions:
1) How important is set-up?
2) Between the Kala KA-15S, the Lanikai LU-21 and the setup HMS MK-S, and an EI Makai UK55, which do you recommend for me?
3) What are some more "setup" places other than HMS and Mim's?
4) Do you have any other uke recommendations for me?

Another thing that worries me: the HMS MKS is $5 than the lowest price for a stock MKS on Amazon. So what kind of setup occurs: a thorough one or just some dude playing a few notes and passing it along a conveyor belt?

This is my first post, so I'm not quite sure if this is in the right place.

Thanks,
RR.

Hi RR
Have you considered paying a bit more for your first uke. As many people have find out when they get into the uke the first cheap one does not satisfy you for long. Just a thought.
Phil.

All but two of mine are 'off the shelf' and I'm quite pleased with them straight from the box. I had to lower the nut on one of the two that were 'set-up' for it to better work with how I play. Is the uke going to be better with a thorough set-up? Probably. Are the odds good you'll enjoy an uke from Amazon? They have been for me. YMMV.

And welcome!

As a cellist you probably have a pretty decent ear for pitch already (most players of fretless stringed instruments do) - this means that problems with intonation that other beginners might not notice will probably drive you a little nuts. I'd go for the best uke you can and wouldn't even consider an inexpensive uke that hasn't been set up by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Also, as a cellist what would you recommend to someone who is just taking up cello? Would you recommend that they buy the absolute cheapest cello they can find for their first instrument? Probably not... :)

With a fretted instrument quality is even more important because you cannot compensate for intonation issues just by rolling your finger a little like you can on a fretless instrument - what you hear is pretty much what you're stuck with!

John

If you have experience I would definitely set one up yourself. Getting one already set up probably gets it *most* of the way there, but you may still need to tweak it to get it to your tastes. I bought one "set-up" that was worse out of the box than one I bought off amazon. I had to substantially lower the nut and I need to go back and raise the bridge. Another one I bought supposedly set up is sharp at the 12th fret so that needs a bit more work as well. I'll slightly shave the nut on that one too. I played viol da gamba throughout college so I may have a pretty sensitive ear as well.

Of course if you buy mid/high end it better be properly set up or a pox on the maker.

One thing to note: the more material you have to shave off a nut/bridge yourself the more likely you are to do it unevenly and get poor results.

Last edited:
1) How important is set-up? Mid to high level of importance.
2) Between the Kala KA-15S, the Lanikai LU-21 and the setup HMS MK-S, and an EI Makai UK55, which do you recommend for me? None of the above. Spend more, be happier.
3) What are some more "setup" places other than HMS and Mim's? Uke Republic springs to mind.
4) Do you have any other uke recommendations for me? Enjoy!

From my own point of view, setting my ukes up myself was part of the learning process and it's something I enjoyed reading about and doing.....

Obviously, not everyone is like me - so go for whatever you think will best suit your needs - but whoever does it, I'd say a setup on any 'off the shelf' uke is a necessity

As a beginner without a musical background, the benefit of a proper set-up for me was that the action was low enough to allow for easy playing. With my first stock ukulele, I had the problem that the strings in the first fret were uncomfortably high and they cut into my finger tips more than they should have. I didn't realize this initially and thought it might just be normal, until I bought a properly set-up tenor (then followed by a properly set-up soprano; the stock one was an upper entry level concert-size model) and experienced the difference. It may not be as noticeable for already experienced string musicians, though (calluses, better finger strength, etc.).

I'd also rather buy a more expensive entry level instrument ($150 range), even if that may mean having to save up an extra few weeks. The phrase "buying cheap means buying twice" is a bit worn, but it's true when it comes to instruments (and many other things). You'll appreciate the better quality tuners, for example. If you buy something too cheap now, like the ukulele as an instrument, but feel yours sounds off, doesn't hold the tuning, etc, then you'll spend the money anyway, with pretty much no re-sale value of what you bought for $60. This also gives you more time for research, something I wish I had done more intensely at first! (I would have skipped the concert model.) If you buy something that is very inexpensive, you also may need to get different strings.

I don't have as much experience with different models as most people here, so I won't give any actual recommendations. I'll say, though, that I'm happy with the KPK soprano (solid mahogany) and KPK tenor (solid acacia), both with Martin flourocarbon strings. (Mine are labelled ukuMele, but they come from the same place as the KPK ones and seem to be essentially identical). The soprano, set-up and re-strung with Martins, was under $200.

Hi RR
Have you considered paying a bit more for your first uke. As many people have find out when they get into the uke the first cheap one does not satisfy you for long. Just a thought.
Phil.

What's the next price level above cheap? $80? $100? $120? $140+?

The general idea I'm getting is to pay a little more and go with setup.

Top Bottom