• Random drawing

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • other

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dougf

Reaction score
I'd like to get an idea of which judging method people prefer, participant judged, host judged, random drawing, some combination thereof, or something else.

IN MY OPINION,
Host judging is likely to choose players who are the most skilled.
Participant judging is likely to choose players who are highly skilled AND popular.
Random judging is the only way some players will ever have a chance of being chosen. Plus, it reduces the competitiveness of the Season and makes it more of a community sing-together with door prizes.

I chose Other because I like the type of "judging" to vary week to week and let all these forces operate.
However, if I had to choose, I'd choose random.

Last edited:
I voted for random because it's the only way I'll ever win one of these things... :)

Not a big fan of participant voting...impossible to choose for a number of reasons, as everyone has something good to offer... so I would choose random or host judged.... If I ever find time to host a season, a (and I really want to someday) mine would be random for sure.....

I like all the methods. Every Season so far has had a very deserving group of winners, so apparently any method will work well.

Judging entries yourself is fun, but it can be tough to rank the videos. For the 33rd Season, I had everyone send me their list of participants they'd approve of winning. Lists ranged from a single vote to over twenty votes, and the participants picked very worthy winners. That being said, I always have fun watching a few names be pulled out of a hat, remain stuck to a bicycle wheel, or have knives thrown at them. My vote went to randomness.

I voted for random drawing...it gives everyone a fair chance to win. Let the talented players win the UUsers Choice Awards!! :)

I've only hosted one season and it was nice to get a PM from one of the winners saying it's the first time they ever won.

Whatever you choose, we'll go with the flow and support you Doug!

Judging Options

I've voted for host judged but I really don't mind if its that or random draw. The one and only time i've ever won is when TCK threw a knife at me and I got 3rd prize. (Well my name within a target). The only problem I see with judging on talent is that there are some people who are just miles ahead on talent so random draw or judges taste individuality is my preferred two.Either way I LERVE THE SEASONS. Great fun.Dave

I actually vote for a mixture of all of that... It would be nice to get the participants vote and host's favorites and pick the top 10% and lowest 10% and do a random drawing... this way is a lot of work but it covers all the grounds stated from comments above :)

but like dan said, whatever you choose is good!

I actually vote for a mixture of all of that... It would be nice to get the participants vote and host's favorites and pick the top 10% and lowest 10% and do a random drawing... this way is a lot of work but it covers all the grounds stated from comments above :)

but like dan said, whatever you choose is good!

Lowest 10%? Oh the shame.......

I like a mix. Host vote, participant vote and a lucky random draw.

Lowest 10%? Oh the shame.......

i meant lowest 10% from the participant's vote, not actually voting for least favorite. And noone will know the last 10% except the host so no shame there, it just gives the underdogs a chance also for the random drawing :)

i meant lowest 10% from the participant's vote, not actually voting for least favorite. And noone will know the last 10% except the host so no shame there, it just gives the underdogs a chance also for the random drawing :)

:D Still chuckling....

I'm equally fond of participant judging and host judging. Personally not so much a fan of the random draws, for me they remove any incentive to try and be creative or do something different. I don't mind them when they're mixed in with other forms of judging, just not when it's purely random judging.

Last edited:

I really want a chance to win so I'm gonna make an "ehh" song! I'm a natural talent in mediocrity!!:p

My answer is too complicated to fit into your poll. :)

The only thing I'm not a fan of is participant voting. It usually means voting the week after the season, so people spend an extra week looking at last week's videos, which takes some of the focus away from the current week.

Random is fun (and probably my only chance of winning), except when one of the regular winners gets picked.

So maybe the best mix is:

1 host-judged winner
1 random winner who hasn't one in the past 6 months

That way, the rock stars among us have something to strive for, and us little guys have some hope to cling to. :)

- FiL

The only thing I'm not a fan of is participant voting. It usually means voting the week after the season, so people spend an extra week looking at last week's videos, which takes some of the focus away from the current week.

Random is fun (and probably my only chance of winning), except when one of the regular winners gets picked.
That way, the rock stars among us have something to strive for, and us little guys have some hope to cling to. :) - FiL

I agree with you, FiL, 100%. The Seasons move so quickly that voter participation seems to slow them down by asking people who have already moved on to the next week to review the previous playlist again. Let the current Season have the focus.

BTW, When I hosted week 26, I did random winners, but one performance was so impressive and attracted MANY comments, so I awarded a People's Choice award to that entry that week.

My answer is too complicated to fit into your poll. :)

So maybe the best mix is:

1 host-judged winner
1 random winner who hasn't one in the past 6 months

That way, the rock stars among us have something to strive for, and us little guys have some hope to cling to. :)

- FiL

Season 55 was the first time I had participated and it was participant voting - I thought that's how you did it every season. There were something like 54 videos. By making me vote it "forced" me to watch each video. You tell me but I think more people received helpful comments because all of us had to watch all the videos. I'd like to say I would have anyway but it's hard to say for sure.

I chose Host simply because I appreciate all of the effort and thought that hosts volunteer. I feel happy to submit to their rules and their decisions.

IF I were to add anything it might be a New Seasonista Recognition award for a really good (or really brave) first effort and maybe one for SOUL!. Once in a while I feel that someone is really putting themselves into a song and that seems noteworthy to me.

I chose other because I don't mind the random draw and other innovative methods that have been tried - although apparently chooks aren't that cooperative.
Host alone as judge is my least favoured - if it is to be competitive then the more people judging the better IMHO.
I am happy for the host to decide how the season goes though - it is all fun!

Top Bottom