PDA

View Full Version : Judging options for Season 57

Dougf
03-18-2013, 05:34 AM
I'd like to get an idea of which judging method people prefer, participant judged, host judged, random drawing, some combination thereof, or something else.

glass
03-18-2013, 05:59 AM
voted now need to enter it....

GinnyT11
03-18-2013, 06:13 AM
IN MY OPINION,
Host judging is likely to choose players who are the most skilled.
Participant judging is likely to choose players who are highly skilled AND popular.
Random judging is the only way some players will ever have a chance of being chosen. Plus, it reduces the competitiveness of the Season and makes it more of a community sing-together with door prizes.

I chose Other because I like the type of "judging" to vary week to week and let all these forces operate.
However, if I had to choose, I'd choose random.

RichM
03-18-2013, 06:24 AM
I voted for random because it's the only way I'll ever win one of these things... :)

caukulele
03-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Not a big fan of participant voting...impossible to choose for a number of reasons, as everyone has something good to offer... so I would choose random or host judged.... If I ever find time to host a season, a (and I really want to someday) mine would be random for sure.....

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-18-2013, 06:45 AM
I like all the methods. Every Season so far has had a very deserving group of winners, so apparently any method will work well.

Judging entries yourself is fun, but it can be tough to rank the videos. For the 33rd Season, I had everyone send me their list of participants they'd approve of winning. Lists ranged from a single vote to over twenty votes, and the participants picked very worthy winners. That being said, I always have fun watching a few names be pulled out of a hat, remain stuck to a bicycle wheel, or have knives thrown at them. My vote went to randomness.

Dan Uke
03-18-2013, 06:57 AM
I voted for random drawing...it gives everyone a fair chance to win. Let the talented players win the UUsers Choice Awards!! :)

I've only hosted one season and it was nice to get a PM from one of the winners saying it's the first time they ever won.

Whatever you choose, we'll go with the flow and support you Doug!

UkeyDave
03-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I've voted for host judged but I really don't mind if its that or random draw. The one and only time i've ever won is when TCK threw a knife at me and I got 3rd prize. (Well my name within a target). The only problem I see with judging on talent is that there are some people who are just miles ahead on talent so random draw or judges taste individuality is my preferred two.Either way I LERVE THE SEASONS. Great fun.Dave

wolfchs
03-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I actually vote for a mixture of all of that... It would be nice to get the participants vote and host's favorites and pick the top 10% and lowest 10% and do a random drawing... this way is a lot of work but it covers all the grounds stated from comments above :)

but like dan said, whatever you choose is good!

frisbee fred
03-18-2013, 07:47 AM
I actually vote for a mixture of all of that... It would be nice to get the participants vote and host's favorites and pick the top 10% and lowest 10% and do a random drawing... this way is a lot of work but it covers all the grounds stated from comments above :)

but like dan said, whatever you choose is good!

Lowest 10%? Oh the shame.......

we tigers
03-18-2013, 07:52 AM
I like a mix. Host vote, participant vote and a lucky random draw.

wolfchs
03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

i meant lowest 10% from the participant's vote, not actually voting for least favorite. And noone will know the last 10% except the host so no shame there, it just gives the underdogs a chance also for the random drawing :)

frisbee fred
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
i meant lowest 10% from the participant's vote, not actually voting for least favorite. And noone will know the last 10% except the host so no shame there, it just gives the underdogs a chance also for the random drawing :)

:D Still chuckling....

austin1
03-18-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm equally fond of participant judging and host judging. Personally not so much a fan of the random draws, for me they remove any incentive to try and be creative or do something different. I don't mind them when they're mixed in with other forms of judging, just not when it's purely random judging.

Dan Uke
03-18-2013, 08:20 AM

I really want a chance to win so I'm gonna make an "ehh" song! I'm a natural talent in mediocrity!!:p

FiL
03-18-2013, 08:36 AM
My answer is too complicated to fit into your poll. :)

The only thing I'm not a fan of is participant voting. It usually means voting the week after the season, so people spend an extra week looking at last week's videos, which takes some of the focus away from the current week.

Random is fun (and probably my only chance of winning), except when one of the regular winners gets picked.

So maybe the best mix is:

1 host-judged winner
1 random winner who hasn't one in the past 6 months

That way, the rock stars among us have something to strive for, and us little guys have some hope to cling to. :)

- FiL

GinnyT11
03-18-2013, 08:51 AM
The only thing I'm not a fan of is participant voting. It usually means voting the week after the season, so people spend an extra week looking at last week's videos, which takes some of the focus away from the current week.

Random is fun (and probably my only chance of winning), except when one of the regular winners gets picked.
That way, the rock stars among us have something to strive for, and us little guys have some hope to cling to. :) - FiL

I agree with you, FiL, 100%. The Seasons move so quickly that voter participation seems to slow them down by asking people who have already moved on to the next week to review the previous playlist again. Let the current Season have the focus.

BTW, When I hosted week 26, I did random winners, but one performance was so impressive and attracted MANY comments, so I awarded a People's Choice award to that entry that week.

frisbee fred
03-18-2013, 09:01 AM
My answer is too complicated to fit into your poll. :)

So maybe the best mix is:

1 host-judged winner
1 random winner who hasn't one in the past 6 months

That way, the rock stars among us have something to strive for, and us little guys have some hope to cling to. :)

- FiL

Season 55 was the first time I had participated and it was participant voting - I thought that's how you did it every season. There were something like 54 videos. By making me vote it "forced" me to watch each video. You tell me but I think more people received helpful comments because all of us had to watch all the videos. I'd like to say I would have anyway but it's hard to say for sure.

decaturcomp
03-18-2013, 09:19 AM
I chose Host simply because I appreciate all of the effort and thought that hosts volunteer. I feel happy to submit to their rules and their decisions.

IF I were to add anything it might be a New Seasonista Recognition award for a really good (or really brave) first effort and maybe one for SOUL!. Once in a while I feel that someone is really putting themselves into a song and that seems noteworthy to me.

pabrizzer
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I chose other because I don't mind the random draw and other innovative methods that have been tried - although apparently chooks aren't that cooperative.
Host alone as judge is my least favoured - if it is to be competitive then the more people judging the better IMHO.
I am happy for the host to decide how the season goes though - it is all fun!

pabrizzer
03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
One thing -
Waiting weeks and weeks for a decision .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................drives me a little bit crazy.:)

alemarco
03-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I enjoy a mix of all three styles.

Several people have commented on participant voting. Although it does put an extra burden on us the following week, I like how it makes us really consider all the entries, and therefore entries that might slip through the cracks actually get noticed. However because it takes extra time, it is important for hosts to consider how recently the previous participant-judged season occurred. In other words, please don't do it two weeks in a row!

Even though my hosting debut isn't for months, I've been developing a wonderfully complicated judging system combining all three of these types.

uke4ia
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't like participant voting at all. Judging is largely subjective, even when people put together complicated point allocation systems. I've done random drawings for the Seasons I hosted because I don't want to be judging. If you do, that's fine. But please do it yourself, and don't outsource it to me.

My other problem with participant voting is that a Season's host has usually planned to make time to review all of that week's entries. I can't commit to making that kind of time available whenever someone wants to delegate the judging. For Season 55, I watched videos for two and a half hours and didn't even get halfway through the entries. And trying to get through them, I found myself focusing on "Is this one of my top videos?", which kept me from leaving many comments.

filipinouker
03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
IN MY OPINION,
Host judging is likely to choose players who are the most skilled.
Participant judging is likely to choose players who are highly skilled AND popular.
Random judging is the only way some players will ever have a chance of being chosen. Plus, it reduces the competitiveness of the Season and makes it more of a community sing-together with door prizes.

I chose Other because I like the type of "judging" to vary week to week and let all these forces operate.
However, if I had to choose, I'd choose random.

A big, loud AMEN to Ginny's post. I have grown to love the seasons for the wealth of styles and musical genres on offer. So refreshing & inspiring!
If i had to choose, there wouldn't be "winners" - rather, it would be like a big family gathering where we get to play, receive encouragement, listen to others and give encouragement. Just my two cents worth...

Hippie Dribble
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't mind any of these options Doug, let the host decide how he or she wants to proceed.

That said, I would have two categories: (i) picked by the host and (ii) a random draw so that everyone gets a shot...that way there is motivation enough for all. So, for the purposes of the poll I nominated 'other'.

The Ukelites
03-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't mind any of these options Doug, let the host decide how he or she wants to proceed.

That said, I would have two categories: (i) picked by the host and (ii) a random draw so that everyone gets a shot...that way there is motivation enough for all. So, for the purposes of the poll I nominated 'other'.

:agree: I like watching all entries of a season, but I prefer watching them without judging.

GinnyT11
03-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I like watching all entries of a season, but I prefer watching them without judging.

Yes, this. I especially don't like public judging. The Seasons are supposed to be lighthearted and fun, encouraging newbies to discover the learning value of posting videos for viewing by an uncritical, friendly group.

ukuleledaveey
03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
im happy to go with what ever the particular weeks host decides to do, i will enter anyway as the taking part is the fun and the lovely feedback is the prize for me :)

caukulele
03-18-2013, 01:11 PM
I do agree with Ginny about the public judging. I don't like it because it just adds a tension to the contest, that I don't enjoy....unnecessary drama...for me the seasons is really not about the contest, it's about sharing and learning and growing and connecting....

Hippie Dribble
03-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Yes, this. I especially don't like public judging. The Seasons are supposed to be lighthearted and fun, encouraging newbies to discover the learning value of posting videos for viewing by an uncritical, friendly group.
Another Amen. Preach it sister! Can I get me a witness? :)

J-Peg
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
I like participant voting myself. (I prefer not to think of it as "judging.")
The way I see it, the seasons are all about participation. So why not let all the seasonistas participate in selecting the winner, too?

Raygf
03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Let the host decide how the season proceeds. I've enjoyed the variety of ways that the seasons have been decided. Thank you to all of the hosts! The seasons have helped motivate me to make and share music and I appreciate and enjoy everyone's efforts. The last thing on my mind is winning when I participate in the seasons. Have fun. Keep making music and keep sharing it!

J-Peg
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Let the host decide how the season proceeds. I've enjoyed the variety of ways that the seasons have been decided.

I agree. While we all may have our preferences, there really is no one right way to run a season. I like having the variety much more than I would like it if we did it the same way every time, even if that one way was my favorite.

OldePhart
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM

Holy carp, I think that's a positively devine idea - I might actually stand a chance of winning something!

TCK
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I would like to see someone make chicken bingo actually work.

OldePhart
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I think that it really should be up to the host of the week to decide how the judging should go. For myself, having hosted a couple of seasons - one "judged" by me and one "judged" by participants - I have to say that as a host I much prefered the latter (though I personally think it probably should be by secret ballot because I know a lot of folks aren't comfortable "judging" others publicly).

Having recently hosted a participant-by-secret-ballot season I really liked what I saw in the results. While there developed a "strata" of votes that pushed the obviously "polished" performances to the top it was nowhere near as lopsided as I feared, and in fact it was probably more balanced than had I judged it myself.

I also like the idea of a random prize but I don't think it should ever be the only prize, nor necessarily even the main prize. It should be the kind of thing that is the incentive for those of us who know we aren't ever going to win anything on merit to try to get a video in every week if we possibly can. But doing nothing but random drawings kind of cheapens the incentive to make those videos the best that we can. I've watched some people progress over the last year from "well...it's pretty obvious that they're never going to win, place, or show" to "holy carp, somebody's been woodshedding!" :0

If I host another season I think I am going to use the same judging method I used for season 53, but with a twist - in order to qualify to win you will have to not only submit your secret ballot to me but you will have to comment constructively on every video (either in the forum or on YouTube) because I think comments really do encourage everyone to shine and help to put newbies at ease.

Just my $0.02...or maybe $0.20 with inflation...

John

OldePhart
03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I would like to see someone make chicken bingo actually work.

BWAAAA-HAAAAA! I thought it worked really well... ;)

John

Dan Uke
03-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Doug do whatever you want!!

Quote I read "I can't tell you the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Jazzbanjorex
03-18-2013, 06:39 PM
I like letting the host deciding on how the season will be judged. It adds to the verity of the seasons. Although, I have my preference yet I would not want that to be the only option. Mostly I like seeing the songs chosen by all the Seasonistas and their personal flare on their songs.

It's like a fun Farkle game among friends. Winning isn't as important as having fun playing but it is a little part of the game. At the end of the night we don't really remember who won but we do remember how much fun we had.

Joko
03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I voted "Other" for ukulele celebrity judges.

Send an e-mail to the following:

Jake Shimabukuro
Julia Nunes
Aldrine Guerrero
Brittni Paiva
Taimane Gardner

Ask them to be the judges.

Yeah, a little far fetched, but why not?

mattydee
03-19-2013, 04:03 AM
I voted "Other" for ukulele celebrity judges.

Send an e-mail to the following:

Jake Shimabukuro
Julia Nunes
Aldrine Guerrero
Brittni Paiva
Taimane Gardner

Ask them to be the judges.

Yeah, a little far fetched, but why not?

Not that far fetched. Brittni has guest judged two seasons for us.

julienstaudt
03-19-2013, 05:40 AM
I think host-juging is the only logical choice. Votes are too long, other is... pretty vague. Still you can do random choice if you can't choose.
Many poeple voted "random" because they never win. Maybe there should be one price specially for the "never won before" seasonistas (because with random picking, there's still a lot of chance that none of them get anything).

Dougf
03-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Looks like most are opting for host judging and random selection. Maybe I'll do some combination. Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming. Thanks,

Doug

krabbers
03-20-2013, 02:02 AM
anyone who knows me will know i love a bit of random

http://youtu.be/y4_1WXXY5bw

lakesideglenn
03-20-2013, 03:18 AM
I vote for letting the host decide each week...seems that should be one of the hosts obligations.
Voting by entrants would be my second choice.
Random makes no sense to me.

GinnyT11
03-20-2013, 04:21 AM
julienstaudt I think host-juging is the only logical choice. Votes are too long, other is... pretty vague. Still you can do random choice if you can't choose.
Many poeple voted "random" because they never win. Maybe there should be one price specially for the "never won before" seasonistas (because with random picking, there's still a lot of chance that none of them get anything).

I vote for letting the host decide each week...seems that should be one of the hosts obligations.
Voting by entrants would be my second choice.

Random makes no sense if we are judging one another. But we're not! Seasons is not a contest about comparing and measuring the participants' entries. It's been expressed by many long-time Seasonistas in several threads that it's merely a challenge to come up with a song for the theme, that everyone's welcome and everyone should be encouraged. It's more an open mic or a camp singaround than a contest.

The "prizes" are usually simple and low cost, just to acknowledge the event, like door prizes. It would be the same half-dozen people winning every week if we always picked the most skilled performers. Sometimes it's extra-amusing if there's a silly approach to getting the "winners."

lakesideglenn
03-20-2013, 04:34 AM
Random makes no sense if we are judging one another. But we're not! Seasons is not a contest about comparing and measuring the participants' entries. It's been expressed by many long-time Seasonistas in several threads that it's merely a challenge to come up with a song for the theme, that everyone's welcome and everyone should be encouraged. It's more an open mic or a camp singaround than a contest.

The "prizes" are usually simple and low cost, just to acknowledge the event, like door prizes. It would be the same half-dozen people winning every week if we always picked the most skilled performers. Sometimes it's extra-amusing if there's a silly approach to getting the "winners."

I hear what your saying, Ginny, but the question was "what judging method do you prefer?" implying that there is judging going on.

Having said that, I still vote for the host picking the winners. It would be up to him or her NOT to necessarily pick the most skilled players every week....

krabbers
03-20-2013, 06:26 AM

nore me, it was just an excuse to air an old video, the selection process didnt pay off. i wanted Tina or Mim to win, i never heard if the top prize arrived. but got nice emails form both Tina and Mim, i should have just picked them......therefore, i think it should be the hosts choice.

mind you if i get the chance to host there will be a raffle,