My uke sounds muted

addicted2myuke

Reaction score
I have a concert Kala GACE that I just put new aquila strings on. What used to sound bright, now sounds muted to me. I had aquila strings on previously, but they started to get dents in them from so much playing so I figured it was time to change them. Maybe it was muted before and I just never noticed. Do some ukes just sound brighter than others? I stopped into a music store and started fooling around with a Mitchell. It sounded so bright and was very inexpensive. Can I do something to change the tone of my Kala?

Should be GCAE. Typo?

Should be GCAE. Typo?

I think it's GCEA lol

And are you sure you didn't string it wrong or something is hitting the strings? When I retstrung mine, I had a tiny piece of string lying across all of the strings and I thought I messed something up lol. And I've also played with a hoodie on and my sleeve was muting the strings and I couldn't figure it out.

Last edited:
It's not GCEA. i have been playing long enough to know the difference between a model# and the string letters. Look up Kala GACE on the net and the uke will come up. I have strung several times before and there is nothing hitting the strings. I am bare armed when playing.

It's not GCEA. i have been playing long enough to know the difference between a model# and the string letters. Look up Kala GACE on the net and the uke will come up. I have strung several times before and there is nothing hitting the strings. I am bare armed when playing.

I know, I was correcting his wrong correction of you.

I noticed that too. I guess my uke is not commom cause noone seems to know the model. It's really quite a nice uke and not inexpensive. I paid over $300.00 for it and now for some reason it sounds dull and muted. Maybe it's my ears. Too much snow in New England. Oh yeah, your're from Buffalo, so you know snow.

Yes, a new set of Aquila strings will sound more mellow or muted, than an older set. Aquila strings get brighter and brighter as they age. Many like this effect but as you have noticed when you change strings for a new set the difference is quite noticeable.

Anthony

Kala Golden Acacia Concert Electric, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Does it happen to be humid right now? Aquila Nylgut strings sometimes are a bit muted in high humidity (I discovered this when I took a uke to Lousiana a few years ago). Also, not all Aquila strings are the same, now. I've heard folks say that the "new Nylgut" or whatever it is they're calling them are much more muted than the old Aquila Nylgut strings of a few years ago.

John

Thank you John glover. I was starting to doubt myself. That's exactly what it stands for. I can also see why some of the other answers made that mistake. The letters are the same only mixed up. In answer to OldePhart's question about humidity...Oh that's a good one. I'm in New England and we are having yet another stupid snow storm. Tomorrow is the first day of Spring. You gotta love New England. Never boring. I'm disappointed to hear that my favorite strings are now different. If anyone has any suggestions on strings that will bring back my old bright sound, please let me know. I'm home from work today due to the snow. I'm gonna fill my time with practice muted or not.

You could try some Living Water strings. I have a set on one of my Kalas and they sound really nice. Kind of bell-like.

Try Southcoast strings~ check our their site for more info. In any event, I think you will notice a difference with different strings.

Top Bottom