FS: Black Bear Macadamia Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
** SOLD to a wonderful, loving home! Congrats!!! :) **

$600 shipped anywhere in U.S. -- includes case and insurance! (was asking $650 originally)

Please note: Several more pics of this uke are added below in thread posts below. A sound sample is available, courtesy of Eugene Ukulele (thanks, Jon!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFs6IL86Xew

Beautiful Black Bear Macadamia Concert uke #414 with build date of February 2012.

Here's what we have:
image.jpg

* Macadamia top, back and sides, and headstock overlay
* Beautiful wormy Mango neck (no worms included!) w/ graphite truss rod
* Rosewood fretboard, bridge, body binding
* Abalone fret markers and Black Bear logo
* Bone nut and a BRAND NEW saddle (the saddle is being replaced by Duane Heilman as I write this)
* White side dots
* Grover friction tuners, smaller cream-colored knobs/buttons
* Satin finish
* 12 frets to body, 18 total
* Tweed hardshell case

This uke has full-bodied, rich, warm tone with excellent sustain. Here is the original link to this uke on Black Bear's/Duane Heilman's web site: http://www.blackbearukuleles.net/detail.html?itemid=406

History:

I purchased this uke from another UU member; this uke once also belonged to "Eugene Ukulele" (Jon Duncan), also a UU member, who originally purchased it. I am selling the uke because I've decided that I'd like to buy a walnut tenor, and very sadly, I can't afford to have both. Both UU members had posted this uke on the UU Marketplace before, so I did some copying and pasting from their ads regarding the specification info (per above) for convenience's sake. :)

When I bought the uke, I knew that it had two, small finish flaws on the face of the uke, I had disclosed this in my thread, here, initially, and had also included pics to illustrate this. However, the uke is now with Duane Heilman at Black Bear Ukes in Yakima, WA, and he is repairing them.

Here's why I lost my buyer and the uke is back on the market (because I know you're all wondering!):

1) Saddle: Duane is adding a new saddle as the old one had, as my previous buyer discovered, been apparently sanded down to lower the action; I had not been aware that this had been/was done. My buyer felt that the action was too low for him; personally, for me, the action suited me well.

2) Neck relief: Duane is also adjusting/taking some of the relief out of the neck of the uke. I have received an email straight from Duane Heilman himself that there is no bow in the neck of this ukulele, in case you are concerned about this. My buyer didn't agree with this assessment and this was the other reason he decided against the uke.

3) I offered to send the uke back (at my expense) to the buyer with the repairs, once Duane has completed them (which should be in approximately one week), but he declined my offer. That is why I am posting the uke again.

I can offer additional pics of the new saddle, adjusted neck relief, etc. once I have the uke back. But, it will be with Duane for at least one week while he's working on it.

Wrap-up:
I have to admit that this experience has been a very frustrating one, but at least I have learned a lot in the process. One of these things is that, with as many people as there are here on UU, there are bound to be differing opinions about ukes and where best set-up practices, etc. are concerned. I can only say that I have done my absolute best to let you all know what has transpired.

I bought this uke for $700 in Feb. 2013 from a UU member; per above, I am selling because I'd like to get a walnut tenor. Duane has quoted me $75, plus shipping, for the repairs, so I am now in at a minimum of $775 for this uke. I am offering the uke at $600 shipped in the U.S. with insurance included. My walnut tenor is on hold for me and I really need funds ASAP to make that sale happen.

Thank you for considering this uke. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Pics of the Black Bear Macadamia Concert for sale

I think that I have to do these in separate posts because the file sizes are too big. Here's the first pic:

image.jpg

A truly beautiful uke. I have missed it. If I didn't have to hang on to my money to pay for my custom concert being built it's likely that I'd buy it back... like the story of the two old farmers and the tractor. I urge anyone interested in this uke not to hesitate. It is a dandy.

- Justin

PRICE DROP!!!
$600 shipped anywhere in U.S. (includes case and insurance)!
(was asking $650 originally)

Thank you for looking! :)

Last edited:
Hi, everyone ~ So, I've lost my buyer and am re-opening this thread -- thanks for looking and considering this wonderful uke! :)

April 10, 2013:

The uke is back on the market -- please see my initial post on this thread for ALL of the details.

Thank you! :)

This is really a nice ukulele, everyone. I think $600 is a steal, and if it's gone back through Duane's hands for a tuneup, it should be good as new. Beautiful macadamia, and you don't always see that nice bridge on Duane's more economical ukes. Hochapea is great to deal with too, by the way!

-Steve

Last edited:
such a beautiful uke and with the bonus of a service at no cost? sheesh....fantastic price. this is a brilliant instrument. someone gon' get happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom