View Full Version : New Compass Rose at Gryphons

hawaii 50
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Compass Rose fans..check out the 4 new ones..with sound sample

www.gryphonstrings.com

nice job Rick..

Tigeralum2001
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
He really likes non-traditional woods, eh? I just can't do anything with the Sycamore... that leopard spotted one was just too much and it turned me off of that wood.

I'll have to get over to Gryphon sometime to play the others. You said 4? I only see 3 still for sale; good job Rick!

RichM
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
He really likes non-traditional woods, eh? I just can't do anything with the Sycamore... that leopard spotted one was just too much and it turned me off of that wood.

I'll have to get over to Gryphon sometime to play the others. You said 4? I only see 3 still for sale; good job Rick!

There are still 4; one is a concert, in case you're just looking at the tenors. As for me, a sycamore Compass Rose is one of the best ukes I ever played, and got me jonesing to own a CR (even if the one I ended up with is only half sycamore!). :)

hawaii 50
03-18-2013, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=Tigeralum2001;1217099]He really likes non-traditional woods, eh? I just can't do anything with the Sycamore... that leopard spotted one was just too much and it turned me off of that wood.

I'll have to get over to Gryphon sometime to play the others. You said 4? I only see 3 still for sale; good job Rick![/QUOTE

Hey CJ you must be staying up late trying to get a MB or you working to hard I see 4 haha..sycamore looks nice if you don't match it up with the rope binding..but someone bought that one pretty quick too Haha

that Sycamore body with the Sequoia Redwood top is just like Gillian"s from the UU

Rick Turner
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
One take on "traditional woods" is that they are local...

Just sayin'...

I'm not a total localuth, but I do get a little extra kick out of building with woods from my neighborhood. Just like the Hawaiians...after all, koa is merely a local wood in the islands...

Newportlocal
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
They look good Rick. Hope you have a youtube link floating around for your recent jam. I would really like to watch it.

Tigeralum2001
03-18-2013, 07:16 PM

Just sayin'...

I'm not a total localuth, but I do get a little extra kick out of building with woods from my neighborhood. Just like the Hawaiians...after all, koa is merely a local wood in the islands...

Very true, Rick! I do want to hear Giant Sequoia... maybe with a Stanford fence back and sides? :) I have heard others rave about walnut. I think everyone should consider local wood; I will for my next uke.

Dan Uke
03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Rick, you should ask them to play some newer songs...doesn't do your ukes justice!

hawaii 50
03-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Rick, you should ask them to play some newer songs...doesn't do your ukes justice!

Hey Daniel you gots to get a CR..or the next time I see you here..make a video with my Koa CR..you can make it sing!give me lessons ok Haha

mds725
03-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Just sayin'...

I made a trip to Gryphons this morning and got to see a couple of the CRs (the walnut and one of the sequoias didn't get put into inventory until after I left). If that sycamore nano jumbo had been a tenor instead of a concert, I would have bought it on the spot. Absolutely striking! As it is, last month I found a wonderful non-jumbo walnut tenor CR with a satin finish (SN 12-330) online at Heartbreaker Guitars, and I'm currently loving it to death. Walnut is sweet! Now I can hardly wait for the bari jumbo body CR I've ordered ........

pakhan
03-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah I saw those too- the Giant Sequioa is a very rare tonewood, as it's just not commercially viable to log. They all sound great though don't they?

Dan Uke
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Hey Daniel you gots to get a CR..or the next time I see you here..make a video with my Koa CR..you can make it sing!give me lessons ok Haha

You practicing hard so I'm sure you making it sing too! I gave you tabs for GFI and gonna give you some more tabs for Doug's Season of the Ukulele. You gotta enter and lots of cool people to encourage you! Each season, you gotta play a difft uke so you can show us which one is the best!! LOL

hawaii 50
03-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I made a trip to Gryphons this morning and got to see a couple of the CRs (the walnut and one of the sequoias didn't get put into inventory until after I left). If that sycamore nano jumbo had been a tenor instead of a concert, I would have bought it on the spot. Absolutely striking! As it is, last month I found a wonderful non-jumbo walnut tenor CR with a satin finish (SN 12-330) online at Heartbreaker Guitars, and I'm currently loving it to death. Walnut is sweet! Now I can hardly wait for the bari jumbo body CR I've ordered ........

Hey Mark you would of "bought it on the spot"..you are killing me lol you trying to end up with more CRs than me wow! now I know why I like you Lol

hawaii 50
03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah I saw those too- the Giant Sequioa is a very rare tonewood, as it's just not commercially viable to log. They all sound great though don't they?

Rick said that the Giant Sequioa had fallen in Gilroy(not to far from Santa Cruz) I think.. but it did not break up when it fell..the wood really looks nice with the sapwood in the middle

mds725
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Hey Mark you would of "bought it on the spot"..you are killing me lol you trying to end up with more CRs than me wow! now I know why I like you Lol

I have some serious catching up to do. So how am I going to avoid ordering a Tony Graziano ukulele at this year's Northern California Ukulele Festival?

mm stan
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Mark You should have seen the beautiful tony graziano that sold at I think Artisian...wow wow.....
I do love Koa though, but my chocolate myrtle really surpried me for it's tone....not one for going outside traditional
woods...but Rick and other luthiers are making me more open minded....I guess it is best to go with what the builder is familiar with, is my thoughts..

hawaii 50
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
I have some serious catching up to do. So how am I going to avoid ordering a Tony Graziano ukulele at this year's Northern California Ukulele Festival?

Tell Tony I said hello..he builds a great uke..hope you can take a look at his book of custom ukes..he does one off ukuleles that look and sound great..

hawaii 50
03-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow the style C walnut tenor already sold..did you go crazy and get it Mark?haha only joking..i wonder what state it ended up in

rubber necker
03-22-2013, 07:40 PM
beautiful ukuleles I like the one with the redwood top

mds725
03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
I was at Gryphon again on Thursday evening (picking up a guitar that needed some repair) and noticed that the walnut ukulele was gone. I played the two other tenors -- beautiful ukuleles. But no, I didn't buy one. I'm too busy loving the CR walnut tenor I bought last month.

hawaii 50
03-22-2013, 08:25 PM
I was at Gryphon again on Thursday evening (picking up a guitar that needed some repair) and noticed that the walnut ukulele was gone. I played the two other tenors -- beautiful ukuleles. But no, I didn't buy one. I'm too busy loving the CR walnut tenor I bought last month.

Hey Mark..I miss my trips down to Gryphon to try out Rick's CRs but I hear HMS might be carrying his ukes..
take care have fun at the get together Sat..

Dan Uke
03-22-2013, 10:15 PM
I heard that MGM would buy one once RT made 14 frets to the body tenors. You guys better call HMS and reserve it now before Mike buys one for himself! LOL

hawaii 50
03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
I heard that MGM would buy one once RT made 14 frets to the body tenors. You guys better call HMS and reserve it now before Mike buys one for himself! LOL

Hey Daniel..after finding out that where the bridge is does not really affect the sound on the CRs per Rick..I changed it to 14 frets to the body..just in case I play up the neck like I supposed to someday lol

Dan Uke
03-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Hey Daniel..after finding out that where the bridge is does not really affect the sound on the CRs per Rick..I changed it to 14 frets to the body..just in case I play up the neck like I supposed to someday lol

Great decision Len!! You will not regret it. I bet your new RT will sound better than your old one!

Tailgate
03-23-2013, 04:03 AM
Wow the style C walnut tenor already sold..did you go crazy and get it Mark?haha only joking..i wonder what state it ended up in

Texas... I saw the thread and the UAS kicked in. got it yesterday... beautiful uke. Haven't spent much time with it, but will try to post pics later. With this purchase, my Collings UT3 spruce/quilted maple will go up for sale. Great uke, just never quite bonded with it. A little too bright for me. Will post that one FS later this weekend... possibly a Pono bari too... up to 7 ukes.. I...Must...Control...Myself...

Dan Uke
03-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Texas... I saw the thread and the UAS kicked in. got it yesterday... beautiful uke. Haven't spent much time with it, but will try to post pics later. With this purchase, my Collings UT3 spruce/quilted maple will go up for sale. Great uke, just never quite bonded with it. A little too bright for me. Will post that one FS later this weekend... possibly a Pono bari too... up to 7 ukes.. I...Must...Control...Myself...

Wow, UT2 and UT3 for sale in the marketplace. Lots of quality ukes for sale.

RichM
03-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Wow, UT2 and UT3 for sale in the marketplace. Lots of quality ukes for sale.

Welcome to tax season. :)

hawaii 50
03-23-2013, 05:51 AM

Congrats Tailgate happy to see you got that beautiful walnut CR..
just go with the flow and enjoy all your ukes while you can..if you ever go out to Northern Calif..you have to go visit Rick at his shop in Santa Cruz.

I met Rick he is super nice interesting guy..knows all about building great instruments..been doing it forever
keep on strumming

Dan Uke
03-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Welcome to tax season. :)

Hahaha...someone got a rebate since the UT2 is now sold.

hawaii 50
03-23-2013, 06:05 AM
Hahaha...someone got a rebate since the UT2 is now sold.

Daniel..
while we talking about money..
I checked out the Ldfm website and was wondering how our money matches up with Canadian dollars and I guess he has way more wood options then on the site? PM when you get a chance thxs

Dan Uke
03-23-2013, 06:08 AM
Daniel..
while we talking about money..
I checked out the Ldfm website and was wondering how our money matches up with Canadian dollars and I guess he has way more wood options then on the site? PM when you get a chance thxs

It's dollar to dollar so you can just send a check in U.S. dollars..technically the Canadian dollar is a few cents stronger but who's counting. I'll PM you my new specs