New Compass Rose at Gryphons

hawaii 50

Reaction score
Last edited:
He really likes non-traditional woods, eh? I just can't do anything with the Sycamore... that leopard spotted one was just too much and it turned me off of that wood.

I'll have to get over to Gryphon sometime to play the others. You said 4? I only see 3 still for sale; good job Rick!

He really likes non-traditional woods, eh? I just can't do anything with the Sycamore... that leopard spotted one was just too much and it turned me off of that wood.

I'll have to get over to Gryphon sometime to play the others. You said 4? I only see 3 still for sale; good job Rick!

There are still 4; one is a concert, in case you're just looking at the tenors. As for me, a sycamore Compass Rose is one of the best ukes I ever played, and got me jonesing to own a CR (even if the one I ended up with is only half sycamore!). :)

I'll have to get over to Gryphon sometime to play the others. You said 4? I only see 3 still for sale; good job Rick![/QUOTE

Hey CJ you must be staying up late trying to get a MB or you working to hard I see 4 haha..sycamore looks nice if you don't match it up with the rope binding..but someone bought that one pretty quick too Haha

that Sycamore body with the Sequoia Redwood top is just like Gillian"s from the UU

One take on "traditional woods" is that they are local...

Just sayin'...

I'm not a total localuth, but I do get a little extra kick out of building with woods from my neighborhood. Just like the Hawaiians...after all, koa is merely a local wood in the islands...

They look good Rick. Hope you have a youtube link floating around for your recent jam. I would really like to watch it.

Just sayin'...

I'm not a total localuth, but I do get a little extra kick out of building with woods from my neighborhood. Just like the Hawaiians...after all, koa is merely a local wood in the islands...

Very true, Rick! I do want to hear Giant Sequoia... maybe with a Stanford fence back and sides? :) I have heard others rave about walnut. I think everyone should consider local wood; I will for my next uke.

Rick, you should ask them to play some newer songs...doesn't do your ukes justice!

Last edited:
Rick, you should ask them to play some newer songs...doesn't do your ukes justice!

Hey Daniel you gots to get a CR..or the next time I see you here..make a video with my Koa CR..you can make it sing!give me lessons ok Haha

Just sayin'...

I made a trip to Gryphons this morning and got to see a couple of the CRs (the walnut and one of the sequoias didn't get put into inventory until after I left). If that sycamore nano jumbo had been a tenor instead of a concert, I would have bought it on the spot. Absolutely striking! As it is, last month I found a wonderful non-jumbo walnut tenor CR with a satin finish (SN 12-330) online at Heartbreaker Guitars, and I'm currently loving it to death. Walnut is sweet! Now I can hardly wait for the bari jumbo body CR I've ordered ........

Yeah I saw those too- the Giant Sequioa is a very rare tonewood, as it's just not commercially viable to log. They all sound great though don't they?

Hey Daniel you gots to get a CR..or the next time I see you here..make a video with my Koa CR..you can make it sing!give me lessons ok Haha

You practicing hard so I'm sure you making it sing too! I gave you tabs for GFI and gonna give you some more tabs for Doug's Season of the Ukulele. You gotta enter and lots of cool people to encourage you! Each season, you gotta play a difft uke so you can show us which one is the best!! LOL

I made a trip to Gryphons this morning and got to see a couple of the CRs (the walnut and one of the sequoias didn't get put into inventory until after I left). If that sycamore nano jumbo had been a tenor instead of a concert, I would have bought it on the spot. Absolutely striking! As it is, last month I found a wonderful non-jumbo walnut tenor CR with a satin finish (SN 12-330) online at Heartbreaker Guitars, and I'm currently loving it to death. Walnut is sweet! Now I can hardly wait for the bari jumbo body CR I've ordered ........

Hey Mark you would of "bought it on the spot"..you are killing me lol you trying to end up with more CRs than me wow! now I know why I like you Lol

Yeah I saw those too- the Giant Sequioa is a very rare tonewood, as it's just not commercially viable to log. They all sound great though don't they?

Rick said that the Giant Sequioa had fallen in Gilroy(not to far from Santa Cruz) I think.. but it did not break up when it fell..the wood really looks nice with the sapwood in the middle

Hey Mark you would of "bought it on the spot"..you are killing me lol you trying to end up with more CRs than me wow! now I know why I like you Lol

I have some serious catching up to do. So how am I going to avoid ordering a Tony Graziano ukulele at this year's Northern California Ukulele Festival?

Mark You should have seen the beautiful tony graziano that sold at I think Artisian...wow wow.....
I do love Koa though, but my chocolate myrtle really surpried me for it's tone....not one for going outside traditional
woods...but Rick and other luthiers are making me more open minded....I guess it is best to go with what the builder is familiar with, is my thoughts..

Last edited:
I have some serious catching up to do. So how am I going to avoid ordering a Tony Graziano ukulele at this year's Northern California Ukulele Festival?

Tell Tony I said hello..he builds a great uke..hope you can take a look at his book of custom ukes..he does one off ukuleles that look and sound great..

Wow the style C walnut tenor already sold..did you go crazy and get it Mark?haha only joking..i wonder what state it ended up in

I was at Gryphon again on Thursday evening (picking up a guitar that needed some repair) and noticed that the walnut ukulele was gone. I played the two other tenors -- beautiful ukuleles. But no, I didn't buy one. I'm too busy loving the CR walnut tenor I bought last month.

Top Bottom