Another Case Thread

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
I searched, but started another anyway...

I'm looking into a nice hard-shell case. My requirements- it takes a beating, but protects the uke. I live in earthquake country, so I mean take a big beating. It has an accessory compartment big enough for a standard tuner (like a Snark). It would be nice if it also could hold a pack of strings without them touching the uke.

I'm looking at Ameritage. I keep hearing "they are heavy," but I can't find a weight spec. Does anyone know the weight of the Silver or Gold series? Is the main difference between Silver and Gold the humidification system?

Kamoa fiberglass seems to be popular, too. What other cases should I consider? I would be protecting relatively high-end ukes, so while price is always a consideration, I'm not going to get the shakes if the case costs as much as an import uke. Finally, I'm looking for 3-4 of these bad boys, so if I would be better off with a custom order, let me know. They don't need to be stackable, but that might be nice.

Maybe I should hit the marketplace with a WTB? Thoughts?

I searched, but started another anyway...

I'm looking into a nice hard-shell case. My requirements- it takes a beating, but protects the uke. I live in earthquake country, so I mean take a big beating. It has an accessory compartment big enough for a standard tuner (like a Snark). It would be nice if it also could hold a pack of strings without them touching the uke.

I'm looking at Ameritage. I keep hearing "they are heavy," but I can't find a weight spec. Does anyone know the weight of the Silver or Gold series? Is the main difference between Silver and Gold the humidification system?

Kamoa fiberglass seems to be popular, too. What other cases should I consider? I would be protecting relatively high-end ukes, so while price is always a consideration, I'm not going to get the shakes if the case costs as much as an import uke. Finally, I'm looking for 3-4 of these bad boys, so if I would be better off with a custom order, let me know. They don't need to be stackable, but that might be nice.

Maybe I should hit the marketplace with a WTB? Thoughts?

Ameritage--I have a concert and tenor size. The tenor size is heavy. Probably 9 lbs loaded. Has a big compartment despite half of it being taken up by humidifiers. But I got snookered by the gold series. Truthfully if you want your uke properly humidified go with a silver series and get an in-soundhole humidifier. Does a much better job. And it'll save you over a hundred bucks.

Concert weight about 6 lbs loaded. I was wisened up by the time I bought it and got a silver series. You could run over these cases with a car and not worry about your uke getting hurt. Seriously. And I would trust them to get gate checked at the airport if I was absolutely forced to. I would still put up a fight though. :)

And if you are ordering several, I'll bet Nancy at Ameritage will give you some kind of discount. After you get her price, call Elderly and see what they will do. They really want your business and will try to accomodate you.

Last edited:
What size? I have a soprano Ameritage case I don't really need.

I recently got a Crossrock fiberglass tenor case from Elderly. I'm totally happy with it. The pocket holds a stubby screwdriver, wipe cloth and a strap. The strings fit behind the peghead. Light-weight, five latches, D-rings, and the straps come in a plush zippered case.

On the Elderly website they say "not cosmetically perfect," but mine was. I'm not sure what they are referring to. If they are like mine I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

photo.jpg

photo copy.jpg

Those Crossrocks look nice, I keep being tempted to grab one. I had an Ameritage and it weighed 10 pounds for the tenor size, it was a great case but just way too heavy for me since I do a lot of traveling. I am a fan of the Kamoa just for the light weight and backpack straps, though I don't think they will work for you due to the lack of a storage compartment. Here is a thread I did comparing them.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...9937-The-case-on-cases-Kamoa-Ameritage-Kamaka

Dude, if you are worrying about earthquakes, you need to put them in a case and then in a big travel trunk!! If you want to carry your uke so you can jam with others, then you get a lighter case

Last edited:
Based in large part on Stacy's thread about cases (linked in post #6), I ended up buying a Kamoa tenor fiberglass case. She's right, though -- there's virtually no room for storage. I've heard that Kamoa has stopped making fiberglass cases, except possibly for the Kamoas that come in them. What I heard was that (i) there were some quality control issues at the Chinese factories and (ii) there were copycats selling essentially the same cases, but without the quality control checks that Kamoa had been using to prevent the defective cases from coming to market, and the copycats were seriously undercutting Kamoa's price. I've been trying to find a fiberglass baritone case, but without any luck. I bought my Kamoa tenor fiberglass case through the Strum Shop in Roseville, and I believe they still stock them, although (sadly for me) not in the baritone size.

I agree with consitter CJ. The Ameritage cases are heavy but their protection is fantastic. Extremely well made. You can also get their shoulder strap which is an add on (not sure why they don't include them in the first place for a case of this cost). He is also correct about the Silver vs. Gold series. Is it worth another $100 plus for some vents in the storage area, a clay humidifier, and a cheap digital hygrometer? I keep a clay humidifier and an Oasis in uke humidifier in all of my cases, but it gets very dry here in the winters.

Elderly has an in stock case sale of 15% off every January, but I'm sure that they would work a deal for you now with the quantity you are looking at.

Based in large part on Stacy's thread about cases (linked in post #6), I ended up buying a Kamoa tenor fiberglass case. She's right, though -- there's virtually no room for storage. I've heard that Kamoa has stopped making fiberglass cases, except possibly for the Kamoas that come in them. What I heard was that (i) there were some quality control issues at the Chinese factories and (ii) there were copycats selling essentially the same cases, but without the quality control checks that Kamoa had been using to prevent the defective cases from coming to market, and the copycats were seriously undercutting Kamoa's price. I've been trying to find a fiberglass baritone case, but without any luck. I bought my Kamoa tenor fiberglass case through the Strum Shop in Roseville, and I believe they still stock them, although (sadly for me) not in the baritone size.

I think HMS Andrew said they will be carrying Kamoa cases soon. Maybe they sorted out their quality control issues. I hope so. I really like the look of those.

I recently got a Crossrock fiberglass tenor case from Elderly. I'm totally happy with it. The pocket holds a stubby screwdriver, wipe cloth and a strap. The strings fit behind the peghead. Light-weight, five latches, D-rings, and the straps come in a plush zippered case.

On the Elderly website they say "not cosmetically perfect," but mine was. I'm not sure what they are referring to. If they are like mine I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

View attachment 50434

View attachment 50435

I recently tried a Crossrock fiberglass case from Elderly. Unfortunately, it was too small in the upper bought for the instrument I had intended it for (Covered Bridge Tenor). I also tested it out with my Collings tenor and that was a no-go as well, same reason. Looks like yours is a Martin and fits well, but just keep in mind when purchasing that the upper bought is too narrow for some ukes.

I recently tried a Crossrock fiberglass case from Elderly. Unfortunately, it was too small in the upper bought for the instrument I had intended it for (Covered Bridge Tenor). I also tested it out with my Collings tenor and that was a no-go as well, same reason. Looks like yours is a Martin and fits well, but just keep in mind when purchasing that the upper bought is too narrow for some ukes.

I have a Crossrock ABS/Polycarbonate Concert case, and I'm very happy with it. Visually, it is indistinguishable from fiberglass, and about half the price. I can't attest to whether it has the strength of fiberglass, as it's pretty much been a living room kind of case. Interestingly, I keep a Covered Bridge concert in it, and the fit is snug,but appropriate. The Covered Bridge is a bit deeper than the typical concert uke, and the depth of the case is juuuust enough to cover it.

Note that this is a different case from the Crossrock ABS case, which has a matte, textured finish. The ABS/Polycarbonate cases have a smooth glossy finish that looks really nice. They are currently $80 from Amazon, $90 from other retailers.

I think HMS Andrew said they will be carrying Kamoa cases soon. Maybe they sorted out their quality control issues. I hope so. I really like the look of those.

Andrew is getting a bunch of Kamoa Ukuleles soon with the Kamoa cases..not sure if Mike can sell the case only..
I know Eric Devine sends his ukes out in Ameritage silver cases so that good enough for me,i don't mind the weight..

Last edited:
Andrew is getting a bunch of Kamoa Ukuleles soon with the Kamoa cases..not sure if Mike can sell the case only..
I know Eric Devine sends his ukes out in Ameritage silver cases so that good enough for me,i don't mind the weight..
Only gold series here braddah!

We're not carrying Kamoa. Just got some demo models and we've been blowing through them giving the case. They still have the same issues they always did. What should arrive anytime is our crossrock order with most models. good stuff. But if you're talking about your MB....just build a secret compartment in your floor. That'll cover earthquake or theft!

We're not carrying Kamoa. Just got some demo models and we've been blowing through them giving the case. They still have the same issues they always did. What should arrive anytime is our crossrock order with most models. good stuff. But if you're talking about your MB....just build a secret compartment in your floor. That'll cover earthquake or theft!
Ahh, bummer. I misread.

Three words: Reunion BLues Continental.

Youtube search those words plus Ukulele on youtube for the video overview.

Armitage way too heavy. And no backpack straps. I got my RB C case from HMS.

Andrew, does crossrock make a baritone case? I'm looking for something durable and with shoulder straps to travel with a baritone, and there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Top Bottom