Just got my Kanilea K2 Tenor!

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
After selling my Kala yesterday (thanks Blues Drive), I went to Island Bazaar in the OC and bought my Kanilea. I actually was looking to get a K1 but Shirley had a K2 tenor there that I simply couldn't say no to. I love it to death - though I'm still not crazy about Aquila strings and I plan to get some Worth or D'addario for it.

At first, I was turned off by the gold gears but in retrospect, I wanted a really traditional koa Hawaiian ukulele, and I figured that I could consider the gold as an homage to all the gold jewelry in the islands (kuuipo rings and flip flop pendants, etc.).

So far this is the first picture I took...not the best, but until I have time to take some better ones...
mineforum.jpg

That's gorgeous! I'm glad you were able to get it so quickly. :)

that was fast!

i guess you really wanted that uke - lol.

nice.

joel

Hope you've finally found the one! :D It's hard not to love a solid koa made in Hawai'i, though.

I thought the gold tuners on my kanilea looked tacky at first too. But then, I look at it some more, and they just seem to match the design of the instrument. Love your K2!

Dude! Congrats! I love my K1. I haven't had to change the strings yet so I don't know how I'll feel after pulling the pegs. These are great sounding ukes though so I'm sure you'll love it!!!!

Congrats on your Kanile'a purchace. I also upgraded from a Kala to a Kanile'a earlier this month. My K1 spends more time being played then my Kala did and I played my Kala a lot. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Punch kings! (Old kid saying) I got my K2 from MGM a few months back.
Congrats!

I thought the gold tuners on my kanilea looked tacky at first too. But then, I look at it some more, and they just seem to match the design of the instrument. Love your K2!

It's funny you mention that...I am going to Oahu in May, and I was planning on asking Kanilea if I could bring in my uke then and pay to have them switch to non-gold tuners. I'm still not sure about those, but otherwise I'm loving it.

I also ordered some of these koa bridge pins. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar.../Acoustic_Guitar_Bridge_Pins_and_Endpins.html

So who knows, maybe I'll embrace the gold tuners as kind of old school and go gold/koa all over (including Ko'olau gold strings?). Of course I'm also the girl who had her engagement ring re-set in white gold. (I know that makes me a rotten wife but I just am not a yellow gold fan).

Last edited:
Congrats and thanks for helping me save $$$$$...I almost bought this uke from Shirley :D It sounds great!

beautiful!! i think my eyes just had orgasms!! haha

Top Bottom