Woodhead is that you?

Michael Smith

Reaction score
Don't be eating your lunch while reading this post.

I've long had allergy issues and my sinus problems were complicated by a fight with a biker when I was 15. It was kind of a one way fight in which the bones of that part of my nose were broken by a sucker punch when i was looking the other way. Had surgery @ 30 to fix this. Many years ago my MD told me to rinse with a saline solution a couple times a day to help sinus function and with allergy. I started a couple weeks ago with a regular cycle. After about a week my voice lowered 2 octaves, instead of sounding like Pee Wee Herman when I speek I sound like Huel Brenner. But what came out in the rinse is why I'm posting this. A wad of very fine little hairs and jet black debris all stuck together was the first unnerving thing to be washed from my sinuses. This was not snot or blood but could only be described as the wad of stuff you would pull out of the p trap of your vanity sink if it were clogged but much smaller. It was jet black and had obviously been in there for a long while. It had the feel and color of ebony dust that had been left in water for weeks or months. Several days later I washed out a bunch more of this black debris. This time without the little hairs. I've done sinus rinses of and on for many years this was not the normal little bit of dust mixed with snot, this was I think pure dust that had gotten trapped and concentrated for weeks, months or years. Very weird and very unnerving. I do have a good dust system but I'm thinking that some dust is getting by my cyclone filter or that i'm not being careful enough while hand sanding. I'm thinking of getting one of those powered dust face shields (anybody have one of these? and venting my dust cyclone outside instead of having the filter in the shop. I guess I should take a trip to my ENT as well. I was sick about a week before any of this, that may have had something to do with it.

This is what I am doing about wood dust... These are 2 industrial V-bank filters, one is an 85% ASHRAE, the other is a HEPA. The fan in the middle of the box is a CanFan MAX 12" which is a beast of a little fan. It moves 1804 cfm at free air, and still over 1000 cfm at 3 WCI. The big Hepa filter is rated at 2000cfm at 1 WCI. The fan is mounted to a frame that is mechanically decoupled from the rest of the box by being surrounded, and captive, in damping foam. There are 4 sheets of it on top of the ASHRAE filter. It is 1" thick, with an asphalt layer in the middle. The air flow is 'tortured' with baffles ( the damping is not yet installed) to keep the sound level down. On either side of the box are 2 prefilters of 200 micron prefilter fabric, meant for this exact application. This contraption is being installed as my new table saw outfeed table, with a large (sound) insulated duct that goes up to the ceiling, and then to ductwork that delivers clean air 'curtains' to all my work stations.

This is the second unit like this I have built, the other is my downdraft table, with the same fans, and filters. It is one of my favorite tools in the shop! Clean air! My Cyclone dust collector works well, and I have gone through and plugged most of the leaks in the ducting, and improved collection at the tools. It still is not outputting clean air, Dust collector filters only get the big stuff out of the air, not the bad stuff. Without the damping, the noise is significant, not like a big tool, but annoying. With the damping, and not even all of it yet, the sound level is very tolerable, it runs all day. I think the sound level will drop again by half when the rest of the damping is all installed. I will build one more of these units, and duct it also. I have another one of these V bank ASHRAE filters to put on the furnace.

These are industrial surplus filters from clean room manufacturers, for environments that requiore clean air. They were overstock. They work great! The downdraft6 table has been in operation for a year and a half now, and with these new filters for the past few months. I have cleaned the prefilters once, when I noticed the air was flowing slightly lower. Sunlight barely penetrated the dust filled prefilters, before I blew them clean outside. The 85% ASHRAE second tier filters, which are meant to protect HEPA filters, barely had any debris on them at all.

The speed of the fans can be controlled by a simple fan motor controller. This brings the volume of the fans WAY down again.

Yes, it will be like working in a wind tunnel, somewhat, but the air will be clean.

A well designed downdraft table can be built into a shop, fine particulate filter that is far, far better than those little squirrel cage gravel filters that are sold to woodworkers as air filtration.

My very good friend who owned the shop next door passed away from pneumonia. He was 54, and had been a shop based woodworker for his working career. Can't help but think that dust was a factor.

And Michael.. that is a horrible thought... of wood dust just camping out inside....

Last edited:
Sounds like a type of Bezoar. If you want to be disgusted Google it. They're normally in the stomach and gut. Could be left over debris from your surgery/injury if you haven't been around a fire, shoveling coal or dealing with Ebony.

It wouldn't hurt to have a follow-up with your physician... there could be some sort of secondary infection going on in there.

Top Bottom