Nylon mandocello strings?

duh Padma

Reaction score
49.479184 N, -86.20 W. Longitude rectified to Giza
Hi

I am in need of nylon mandocello strings that are 42 inches long with no ball on the ends.

The string length of the instrument is 29 inches. The extra length is for the extra long after lengths.

Anybody know what is available or from who?

thank you

duh Padma

Mando instruments are built for steel strings. While you could put nylon strings on one, the lower tension is not enough to effectively power the top, which is generally thicker and built with heavier bracing to accommodate steel strings.

The original question is valid. Note that there is no mention of whether this is for an existing steel string mando or a new build. I think a nylon strung mandocello could sound great on the right instrument. I make acoustic-electric basses for which I helped design nylon core strings that are now made by Thomastik-Infeld. This is along those lines. Great stuff, fabulous sound.

Mando instruments are built for steel strings. While you could put nylon strings on one, the lower tension is not enough to effectively power the top, which is generally thicker and built with heavier bracing to accommodate steel strings.

Made for steel strings...really,
Lower tension not enough ~ you don't say.
Thicker and built with heavier bracing ~ yup Itsme, your right.

But the truth be known, this build ain't your store bought, regular run of the mill Weber, Eastman, or MC868.

Nope it ain't ...what it is is a wishbone construction (neck and ribs are one piece), 13 staved "turtle" back, ladder braced lutz top with violin type of tail piece. Attached is a pic of the back before and after the final leveling of her curves. And me looking for nylon strings for her.

PICT0249.jpg Rosett paste up.jpg

Now if me ever take in to me head to do a "standard" knock off, well then, ya, I'll remember to use steels on her. :)

thanks and blessings
Blessings
duh ?adma

Last edited:
Well gee Dirk...

Obviously this build is somewhat unique so I'll use whatever strings be available that fit the length required to accommodate the extra long after lengths. Is my bane in life...momma always said me was the wired one of the bunch.

blessings

I certainly can't see doing this with all plain strings! If any...

Like I said, get in touch with Bob Archigian and tell him I sent you. He's a good guy with a lot of stories! He visited my shop many years ago with Bob Benedetto who noted that I was restoring a beat-up D'Angelico that he (Benedetto) had re-bound many years before it came to me.

Note that LaBella makes strings for various odd scale lengths of classical guitars. http://www.labella.com/category/products/classical/specialty-sets/

You can always try the Thomastik-Infeld nylon core acoustic bass strings, but gauging may be a tad difficult. They do make them for 4, 5, and 6 string bass. They do have ball ends, though.

Yes, you are the wired one! That's not always a bad thing, though.

You can see how itsme might have wondered, however. A word of advice if you don't mind. Your instruments are very interesting! I love to see people building with a different take on things. When designing an instrument, however, don't leave the strings to the end. They should actually be almost the first thing you consider.

Start with body volume - then go to a good range of notes for the body - then to strings that will respond well at those pitches - then to a scale to accomodate those strings.

If you've built and braced your soundboard for light tensions then I don't think the standard Mandocello tuning is the answer. Plain strings will be too thick for any sort of decent sound. It's why steel strings are traditional.

Look at higher pitches if you want plain strings. I'd take a look at standard Mandolin tuning. But rather than say that's the answer, I'll give you a key in how to figure it.

One handy tool (there are others) is StringCalc. It will let you input various materials. There may be sources for flourocarbon in that length, but it also lets you input Nylgut. I know you can get your lengths there.

Here's a link for StringCalc:

http://www.wadsworth-lutes.co.uk/software.htm

and Curtis Daly at Aquila USA has the lengths you'll need:

http://aquilausa.com/ng_strings.html

You can try some of those heavy gauges if you still want your Mandocello tuning, but they'll be pretty bulky and pretty dead.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom