My 8 String Kanile'a is finally done.

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
My 8 String Kanile'a is HERE (Now with Pictures)

The guys at kanile'a shipped my custom 8 string out yesterday. Should be on my bench today or tomorrow. No ground shipping from Hawaii or something like that.

Tenor, 5A Koa, 5A spruce top, all ebony trimmings. With old K5 rosette. Cannot wait. Pictures to come but I am stuck at the office right now and cannot get home to see if it was delivered or not.

Extremely happy that this one is done, I have no more outstanding orders and I am going to reshuffle the lineup a bit if this one meets my expectations. I would like a new soprano, and I think I am going to bit the bullet and actually buy a Kamaka (Which if you know me is crazy) HF-3 and a Moore at the start of the year. But that sparrow Moore is tempting right now.

Also it has rained like a foot here in San Diego near the coast, my house honestly will float away if this keeps up, my cats are flipped out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd love to see photos when it arrives. I just got my Kanilea tenor yesterday (albeit not a custom like yours) and so I'm thrilled to see more of them.

I will post some pictures when I get it, I did not even get the mail today because of the rain and the traffic.

I have had 10-11 Kanile'as and they really are the best ukes for the money in my opinion, off the shelf.

Stupid USPS passed the house again, no mail. I know its supposed to be here, I am stuck at the house waiting for the plaster I put up to dry so I can start on the bathrooms again.

A few pictures for you.

FrontShot.jpg

FullRow.jpg

100_2096.jpg

Your not the only one.

When are you going to come and pick up that CE-1, you know its got your name on it, it calls to you.

you know i could only wish to have that kinda money to drop on another instrument right now.

They all look so pretty...

I'd love a Kanile'a, but unfortunately I haven't the money and probably won't have for a while yet. But I'll keep playing my Kala and pretending :p

So it got here this morning and I have completely forgotten how to play anything with more then 4 strings. Also Spruce is really really loud, it will mellow with time but I can keep up with just about any guitar without amplification with this thing.

From now on I am going to do ebony upgrades to everything I just love the speed on it. The binding is great, but I will stick with tortoise in the future on the all koa ones.

Need a while to get used to all those strings its a major pain and kills my picking speed but my strumming will have to get better

FrontSpruce.jpg

Looks good! Yeah, a custom tuned spruce top is really punchy isn't it? By "upgrading everything to ebony" do you mean the fretboard, bridge, etc? How about some bindings on the fingerboard next time (it doesn't look like there's any on your customs)? I really like the feel of fingerboard bindings.

How about a few more pics of the back/sides etc.?

Looks good! Yeah, a custom tuned spruce top is really punchy isn't it? By "upgrading everything to ebony" do you mean the fretboard, bridge, etc? How about some bindings on the fingerboard next time (it doesn't look like there's any on your customs)? I really like the feel of fingerboard bindings.

How about a few more pics of the back/sides etc.?

everything is ebony, binding, bridge, coverplate, neck.

I don't like binding on the neck every vintage guitar that I have had has lamination probems on the neck binding and I find that I play faster on wood then the plastic or vinyl.

I never intend to get rid of these so I build them the way I like which is a little bit of bling but not to much.

I will post some more photos when I get back from the office.

Top Bottom