Remarkable Koa

Beautiful work, I really enjoyed that site! But yes, the uke prices are certainly at the high end. A good reminder of how reasonably priced so many of the custom ukes built by the well-known builders on this site are!

Aloha Steve,
thank you for sharing...some really nice ukes...wow Gee you must take so much time searching out all these beauties .....ha ha probally worth it, but I probally could not afford them for sure

Nice wood, but it's a bit too over the top for me. It looks like a Kamoa 700. Gimme a Kanile'a Premium any day.

<edit>

Just looked at his prices. Let me amend my above comment to "gimme three Kanile'a Premiums, or two Ko'olau any day"

Last edited:
And the headstock on the Baritone on the far right...I thought I was looking at a Compass Rose at first.

Steve you find all these amazing ukes. Let us know how the uke plays after you buy...we know you not just a window shopper!! :p

Check out the koa wood on the middle uke on this page: http://www.grimesguitars.com/models/Grimes_Ukuleles.html

I don't know anything about this grimes person--his ukes look great but are pretty expensive. But what a stunning set of koa!

Steve Grimes is a very famous guitar builder on the Big Island he has been building for quite awhile..and the Koa he has had for over 30 years..friends with Eric Devine,Peter Lieberman and I think with Chuck too..his ukes look nice huh?

haha--I'm not going to buy it, but I do enjoy shopping!

BTW, in my searches, I happened to find a few references to "mother of curl" koa that was apparently sold to a select few builders (it was a name of a tree that produced especially good koa). Eric used some and I found a few others. Probably none of it around anymore. Check it out: http://www.devineguitars.com/images/koa-mother-of-curl.jpg

Steve you find all these amazing ukes. Let us know how the uke plays after you buy...we know you not just a window shopper!! :p

I did get in touch with Steve Grimes about 8 months ago..but I going to wait awhile..nice Koa wow!
kind of trying to get feedback on Woodley White ukulele..Steve you have one?

No, I was somewhat tempted by the one that Terrence had at dreamukes, but it's gone now. I haven't heard much about Woodley. Oh, and someone was selling one on here quite some time ago. It wasn't as nice as the one that Terrence had but it was much cheaper (although it was put up for sale probably over a year ago). It's tough to find people who have played all of these ukes!

I did get in touch with Steve Grimes about 8 months ago..but I going to wait awhile..nice Koa wow!
kind of trying to get feedback on Woodley White ukulele..Steve you have one?

Steve Grimes is a very famous guitar builder on the Big Island he has been building for quite awhile..and the Koa he has had for over 30 years..friends with Eric Devine,Peter Lieberman and I think with Chuck too..his ukes look nice huh?
Steve is actually on Maui and is one of the reasons I got into building.

BTW, in my searches, I happened to find a few references to "mother of curl" koa that was apparently sold to a select few builders (it was a name of a tree that produced especially good koa). Eric used some and I found a few others. Probably none of it around anymore. Check it out: http://www.devineguitars.com/images/koa-mother-of-curl.jpg
"Mother of curl" is right! Best looking piece of wood I think I have ever seen!!! I also love Eric's lake salvaged Curly Maple. I don't think looking at Eric's site is healthy for my account balance...

"Mother of curl" is right! Best looking piece of wood I think I have ever seen!!! I also love Eric's lake salvaged Curly Maple. I don't think looking at Eric's site is healthy for my account balance...

Hey CJ now that you have a Moore Bettah you can go for a Devine with me and Danny..3 in one uke class that gots to be a record..

that salvaged Curly maple one would look beautiful with a spruce top..tell Eric you know me he give you a discount Haha just joking..let me know when you order it bruddah!

Last edited:
Hey CJ now that you have a Moore Bettah you can go for a Devine with me and Danny..3 in one uke class that gots to be a record..

that maple one would look beautiful with a spruce top..tell Eric you know me he give you a discount Haha just joking..let me know when you order it bruddah!

Yeah, a discount would be nice. You know how close I was to pulling that trigger, but the price change pushed me out... for now at least. Maybe I'll place a WTB in the Marketplace one day. ;)

3 people in a 7 person class owning a DeVine would be a record, I imagine. Not sure you count since you bailed on us and moved back to Oahu...

Yeah, a discount would be nice. You know how close I was to pulling that trigger, but the price change pushed me out... for now at least. Maybe I'll place a WTB in the Marketplace one day. ;)

3 people in a 7 person class owning a DeVine would be a record, I imagine. Not sure you count since you bailed on us and moved back to Oahu...

Hey when you win the powerball lotto you can get Rodney and Renato one too! did you find a case for your MB yet?

Wow I love that blonde colored concert model on the left! I need to be filthy rotten rich...lol

Ok so Eric and now Chuck are conspiring to encourage my bankruptcy. Don't encourage me!!!!

Steve Grimes is primarily known for his arch top guitars. (He's also an accomplished musician.) The ukes he builds are as meticulously made as his other work. Steve is one of my biggest lutherie heros.

Ok so Eric and now Chuck are conspiring to encourage my bankruptcy. Don't encourage me!!!!

Hey Steve..my dream is to play and own a Moore Bettah,Eric Devine,Steve Grimes and Peter Lieberman Ukulele for the rest of my life.. in my opinion they are the big 4 in Hawaii..

just my 2 cents and my dream haha

Top Bottom