strings too tight?

liverlipsyyz

Reaction score
my strings seem very tight at my first fret (and second). the action there is very high, at least 3mm or more. could that be the reason? how tight should the strings be at the first fret? i just bought this uke and it came with black nylon strings but i also bought a set of new strings. should i change stringes? i'll be sanding down the saddle over the next few days to try to get the action lower.

Probalby should put on the new strings before you sand the NUT. Some strings are thicker/thinner and ride differently in the NUT. Made sure they fit in the slots propberly before making the final height adjustment. Adjust the Saddle last.

Last edited:
Seems like your action is high at the nut, not the saddle. If you bring the saddle down too much, and your nut is not set, you'll end up buzzing.

Set the action at the nut first. Go to Frank Ford's site for info.

-Aaron

Kekani is right, it's the nut not the saddle. You get the action at the 1st fret set first with the nut height and then adjust the action at the 12 fret with the saddle. I didn't pay enough attention.

Seems like your action is high at the nut, not the saddle. If you bring the saddle down too much, and your nut is not set, you'll end up buzzing.

Set the action at the nut first. Go to Frank Ford's site for info.

-Aaron

great. can someone provide url for frank ford's site?

Top Bottom