$1k - Factory or Custom?

Paul December

Reaction score
With a budget of $1k max, would you go Factory or Custom? Why?
...to keep things simple, please stick to new, single uke, no "for a bit more", and no pocketing the difference on a cheaper uke
;)

...to keep things simple, please stick to new, single uke, no "for a bit more", and no pocketing the difference on a cheaper uke
;)

With that amount you could get a really nice factory uke. I would go for one of the K brands.

I am afraid $1000 is not going to buy you a custom uke from a first class luthier. You could go for a less well-known maker, but that may be a bit hit and miss.

Depends on your budget...I can have fun with any uke....but a custom is made the way you like it....you develop a bond with the builder and ukulele..
I have a couple budget ukes I treasure too....a custom will not instantly make you a better player...but with it's inspiration from beauty and great playability and comfort
it sure will set you in the right direction to motivate you.... the better you get, the better you can play and make most ukes sound nice...:)

I aggre with Ken. For a less well known luthier, I like Brian Griffin from Griffinukuleles.com. The incredible wood he uses, craftsmanship and intense French Polish are ony matched by his love of making an incredible instrument. He's retired so doesn't make the instrument for need of money but for the love of wanting a quality instrument that will be played a 100 years from now

I would go for K as I've tried several of the custom luthiers under $1,000 and I don't think they are better than a K brand.

I agree with Ken and the Brian Griffin tenors for sale right now are $1,200

If you want to get while the gettin's good, you need to go here and check out Vento ukes: http://koaguitars.wix.com/ventomusichawaii

You can get an awesome custom for $1000. You won't believe what you get for your money. Actually, I'm quite sure many of you won't believe it!

Would semi-custom count? If so, I'd go for a LoPrinzi concert Nova (as I don't consider this factory any more than the CRs).

There's one that wavers from $949-1049 on eBay right now (they keep periodically putting a short-term discount on it that brings it below that $1k threshold) so I'd wait for the discount to roll again.

I think there are a couple other luthiers out there who are willing to do concert sized who I'd consider also ($1k should allow for the tuners and finish I'd like from them).

Last edited:
If you want to get while the gettin's good, you need to go here and check out Vento ukes: http://koaguitars.wix.com/ventomusichawaii

You can get an awesome custom for $1000. You won't believe what you get for your money. Actually, I'm quite sure many of you won't believe it!

Hey Steve I let you know about Vento..I get my Koa A body soon..full abalone body and headstock..you not going to believe the price..(but I think prices went up since I made my order)

Fred Vento was the finish tech for James Goddall guitars while he was on the Big Island has a one person shop in Hilo and has been building for 10 plus years

What about a Boat Paddle? http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/instruments.php

So long as you don't need all the bling or a pick up, you can easily pick up a brand new one for under a grand. I've never played one myself but have nothing but good things about them.

A grand? Surely that's a custom all day long? It might not be one of the more exclusive customs, but it would be YOUR custom and a mighty fine one at that!

I'd love to have your predicament, that's for sure!

Hmmm...interesting question. It's a quandry I'd like to be in...

The customs I want are all in the $1400+ range, so I guess I'd go with a K-brand, but only because you're not allowing me to wait until I can add the $400 :)

John

Paul, what are you looking in your 1k$ uke?

Wood and grade, finish, inlay, tuners, sound qualities, etc. ?

Interestingly, your parameters -- specifically, your “$1K max” and “no 'for a bit more' " mandates -- eliminate any Kamaka other than a soprano (a new concert is "a little bit more" at $1,045, and a new tenor is $1,245), any Kanile'a other than the base model soprano ($835) or concert ($915), as a base model Kanile'a tenor is $1,075, and any KoAloha other than a soprano or concert (a KoAloha tenor is $1,075, unless you can find a second at the KoAloha factory. So if you want to buy a tenor, I would advise getting a custom because it appears that you can't buy a K brand tenor new for $1,000 without paying "a little bit more." As for customs, I've heard great things about both Vento ukuleles and Brian Griffin's ukuleles. I bought an "off-the-rack" Willie Wixom for under $600 and I like it, but it's a bit heavier than comparable ukuleles and I think his prices have gone up with an increase in demand just after I bought mine.

You could throw Pohaku, Covered Bridge, Black Bear, Kepasa and Earnest into the mix, especially if it doesn't have to be a tenor.

Although, I don't know if you'll count them as custom if they're already made.

Last edited:
;)

These are purty http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/loprinzi-model-a-koa-soprano

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/loprinzi-custom-koa-special-soprano

Or look at
http://sprucetreemusic.com/ukes_loprinzi.html They also sell Imua, they're purty too. A bonus is Madison has a climate similar to Chicago.

Both dealers are reliable, which I think is more important than the particular brand.

Paul, what are you looking in your 1k$ uke?

Wood and grade, finish, inlay, tuners, sound qualities, etc. ?

I was more interested in general ideas, and if the K's are still worth the $$$$ since they've upped-their-prices :(

To be honest though, I have been toying with the idea of a $1k concert. Only requirement is that it must be gloss finish.

Maybe a gently used uke is where you get the most uke for your money.
Does it have to be new?

I was more interested in general ideas, and if the K's are still worth the $$$$ since they've upped-their-prices :(

To be honest though, I have been toying with the idea of a $1k concert. Only requirement is that it must be gloss finish.

Knowing it's a concert, I would go custom as they are cheaper. I hear good things of Vento.

One thing you might want to consider is that if "K" Brands continue to raise prices, they will retain their value more as they appear to be bargains relative to the new price.

I'd keep a eye in the marketplaces and buy second hand custom ukes.....be patient and have the money ready to jump as soon as possible..wont last long for good deals
by the time you are waiting you can save more for a better deal.....good luck and happy strummings..

Top Bottom