doesn't inlay work entitle for copyright protection?

ogah

Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this otherwise beautiful Uluru instrument but can't help to think this is just not right.

I am a rabid fan of Chuck's Moore Bettah ukes and been visiting his webpage for so long.. one of his master piece dragon inlay was a bit too much for me but it is just too gorgeous I have it etched in my head.

This uluru looks to be nearly identical copy of his work. I understand many luthiers make Martin style 3 or Nunes style instruments but copying inlay work is another story I thought.. what is your thought on this?

drag.jpg

I am linking Chuck's page with pictures of his dragon uke..

http://www.moorebettahukes.com/GALLERY.html

*well if it was made with permission then I guess I jumped into conclusion too quick..

I hope chuck jumps in, maybe message him and ask?
If this is a direct copy without permission, I think it is not cool, but copy right issues? I don't think so unless he filed for a copyright like he would for a logo. Art is a funny thing when it comes to stuff like this.
If they said it is a Moore Bettah or designed by him, and he did not authorize it, then he has possible standing if sold in the US

Not that I was ever ever tempted to buy an "Uluru," whatever that is, but I wouldn't knowingly deal with any company that views that standards of the marketplace with such disdain. Copyright or not, anyone ought to know the difference between right and wrong.

That's just one more in a long line of reasons not to buy those ukes (and I use the term uke very loosely).

John

Just to clarify, nobody needs to file for a copyright in order to obtain copyright protection. Chuck owns the copyright to his own work just as soon as his work is fixed in a tangible medium--in other words, once the inlay is on the fretboard, the copyright is his, provided his work is original and expressive, which of course it is.

It is pretty darn clear that we're looking at a copyright infringement here. I would bet the farm that Chuck did not authorize this--no way. The problem is that enforcing a copyright especially when someone lives on the other side of the world is tough. Chuck, if you want to discuss this and need any help with copyright issues, please contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you.

Not that I was ever ever tempted to buy an "Uluru," whatever that is, but I wouldn't knowingly deal with any company that views that standards of the marketplace with such disdain. Copyright or not, anyone ought to know the difference between right and wrong.

From Mr. Moore's web site:

Enjoy the pictures you'll find here on these pages but please do not copy any of my designs or images in any manner without my permission. Mahalo!

Enough said.

Just to clarify, nobody needs to file for a copyright in order to obtain copyright protection. Chuck owns the copyright to his own work just as soon as his work is fixed in a tangible medium--in other words, once the inlay is on the fretboard, the copyright is his, provided his work is original and expressive, which of course it is.

It is pretty darn clear that we're looking at a copyright infringement here. I would bet the farm that Chuck did not authorize this--no way. The problem is that enforcing a copyright especially when someone lives on the other side of the world is tough. Chuck, if you want to discuss this and need any help with copyright issues, please contact me directly. I would be happy to assist you.

Steve always wondered what kind of work you do..mds725 and yourself good people to know

they have no shame or really don't care what they do when stealing someone else's beautiful work do they? Chuck everyone on the UU would pitch in to help you..so if anything I can do let me know..

aloha bruddah
Len

This is a Taiwanese, not a Chinese company. And they both have copyright laws, but more to the point, a US citizen whose copyrights are being violated by someone in another country is still entitled to protection under US law.

I maybe wrong but I don't think China or Vietnam has copyright laws. But thats a whole other thread

I've been following this thread with interest, because I am an artist (painter) and a few times over the years someone has "borrowed" my images to use (most often without giving me any recognition)...in this age of internet, images are copied so fast and it is impossible to keep up with it all....

That's just one more in a long line of reasons not to buy those ukes (and I use the term uke very loosely).

+1. Support the makers you like and find ethically sound!

Agree with the above. Though, I do wonder if Chuck filed for registration with the Copyright Office - it would be one less hurdle in case he did want to sue. If those Ulurus are sold in the US, he could sue them here, though service of process may be an issue if they don't have a presence in the US.

Chuck, I'd also be happy to assist if you'd like.

Chuck can register, but it gets cumbersome and it costs money. The upside is that if he brings a suit, it's easier from an evidentiary standpoint and it also gives him more options to seek different types of damages. Without going into the details, he can seek punitive damages, rather than just receiving whatever the cost would be to license his artwork for this other company's use.

Agree with the above. Though, I do wonder if Chuck filed for registration with the Copyright Office - it would be one less hurdle in case he did want to sue. If those Ulurus are sold in the US, he could sue them here, though service of process may be an issue if they don't have a presence in the US.

Chuck, I'd also be happy to assist if you'd like.

I love it 2 ukulele playing lawyers..i would trust both of you.. haha

I thought an even more brazen rip off of his designs was the hibiscus soundhole. Might have been plumeria, I get my flowers mixed up :)

I thought an even more brazen rip off of his designs was the hibiscus soundhole. Might have been plumeria, I get my flowers mixed up :)

Hey Gary..you mean the flower design soundhole off of Eric Devine's Kasha uke..I have not seen any of those copy cat ukes around..

Hey Gary..you mean the flower design soundhole off of Eric Devine's Kasha uke..I have not seen any of those copy cat ukes around..

Apparently I get my luthiers confused as well. :)

Yep, someone posted pics of ukes they were making and they had that soundhole design on them. Awkward.

This kind of thing has happened before, and as long as there are lazy, unimaginative people it will likely continue. On my web site I have asked that my work not be reproduced or duplicated without my permission. (Maybe I need that translated into Vietnamese, Chinese, Taiwanese,etc.) I've never heard of that manufacturer so I certainly didn't give him permission. I'm sure there are some that will say I should be flattered buy this kind of imitation but who I really feel bad for is the customer who thought he was getting a unique work of art. We had worked together on this design for over a year and it is a collaboration between the two of us. Just so happens he's a lawyer. Maybe I should see how he feels about it. ;)

BTW, can anyone provide a clearer image of that uke?

Top Bottom