New Uke(s) day Kanile'a K1 concert & Koaloha pikake soprano

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

I feel like a very lucky boy! Yesterday I received not one, but two
ukuleles. I've been wanting for some time to invest in a K brand and realised that because of my rampant UAS (my fiancée despairs!) I had enough ukuleles that don't get enough attention that I could sell. So I headed on eBay and trimmed the herd down significantly.

The results meant that I could afford two! Well why not?! So first I bought the pikake from a lovely gentleman from UU and then got the Kanile'a from the Southern Ukulele Store in Bournemouth (who I can't recommend highly enough!)

Having played lovely but eastern factory produced ukes I could tell the difference instantly. Both were easy to play and the intonation are spot on. I hadn't really noticed intonation being 'off' on my other ukuleles but having played these they don't seem as perfect. The K1 plays like butter. The frets are so smooth and the neck is nice and slim. In fact the K1 is such a beautiful Uke. The UV gloss and pearl position markers are classy and I like the understated design which shows off the stripey koa.

I have to say though, out if the two I actually prefer the sound of the Koaloha. I think this is partly down to the soprano size, but also because it has such a loud yet traditional sound. I can see why some people say the Kanile'as sound muted. I wouldn't call it muted, more that the tone is mellow and bass-y. I've tried worth browns and mediums already (I'm a stringaholic!!) but on the advice of various people here have ordered some of Ken Middleton's Living Waters.

I'm so happy with both of these ukuleles. I still sometimes feel like a beginner but feel ready for these instruments now having played a few years. And it is true - they really do make it even more of a pleasure to play.

I will say one thing though. There's still something about them Mainlands!!! I've had these two beautiful ukes for only a day and I still couldn't resist picking up my mainland mango for a strum. It's been my favourite Uke and just feels like a part of me. :)

I'll post some photos here. I'm far too shy for a video yet though. Working up the courage to post some of my songs here one day! ;)

Matt
Ps. I just wanted to say thanks to all the people I've spoken to and got ukes from on UU. I've had the pleasure of dealing with some of the nicest and friendliest people on t'internet!

Congratulations on your two fine new instruments!

Damn! That's sweet! I think I'm going to have to follow in your footsteps and sell off a couple ukes that I don't play much off and just pony up the extra for another K uke. Most jealous, ya lucky bugger! Congrats!

Damn! That's sweet! I think I'm going to have to follow in your footsteps and sell off a couple ukes that I don't play much off and just pony up the extra for another K uke. Most jealous, ya lucky bugger! Congrats!

Thanks a lot. It felt good consolidating the ukes I had! There were too many that didn't get played (and I'm glad they've gone to loving homes! :)) so I sold four or five and bought two. I'm really happy I did. I still have my lovely mainlands.

Congrats, Matt! They are both fantastic choices. Wishing you many merry moments of music-making.

Many congratulations on 2 beautiful ukuleles. I also bought the same K1 from SUS. Great people to deal with. My next purchase for my 50th in May is either a Kamaka, Koalhoa or some other uke. Choices choices choices! So exciting.

Aloha Matt,
Wow Two New ukes...Congrats....Yes at least you have two different sounds between the two...one a brighter tone and one a sweeter tone...have fun and enjoy..Happy strummings
PS I do Love my mainland... it is easy to play and sounds great...it's a great ukulele.....

Many congratulations on 2 beautiful ukuleles. I also bought the same K1 from SUS. Great people to deal with. My next purchase for my 50th in May is either a Kamaka, Koalhoa or some other uke. Choices choices choices! So exciting.

SUS have a lovely Koaloha concert if you feel like it for your 50th ;)

I will have to take my wife for the weekend and just happen to be passing SUS. Thanks for that. Enjoy your great ukes.
Ben

Hey congrats! You got two beauties, that's heaven....

Congrats! I recently got a K1 concert as my first uke and I LOVE it. I just put living waters on it and they're much less boomy than the Aquilas. I'm also enjoying the beautiful tone and good intonation. Quality instruments are where it's at!

Congrats! I recently got a K1 concert as my first uke and I LOVE it. I just put living waters on it and they're much less boomy than the Aquilas. I'm also enjoying the beautiful tone and good intonation. Quality instruments are where it's at!

Do you find the living waters are still loud enough? I'm not a big fan of aquillas so tried different worths but they're way too quiet. Just waiting for my living waters to drop through the letterbox.

They're definitely not as loud as the Aquilas. Unfortunately I haven't played the worths and I haven't taken them out to play with others so I can't say how they're gonna do in terms of cutting through a bunch of people in a jam or onstage. I'm happy with the volume I get in my living room and they do sound really nice.

Top Bottom