PDA

View Full Version : Ko'olau Gold, Hilo, Aquila Nylgut, how do they compare?

Koa Soprano
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
I want to restring my Koa Larrivee, I have these three packs to choose from. Ko'olau Gold, Hilo, Aquila Nylgut. All are Re-entrant tuning, the Hilo's are black nylon which I heard a lot of people don't like.

vanflynn
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Actually there are a couple of members that have praised hilos. Each uke responds differently to strings and you have a nice variety there.

Give them all a try and see what you think. You can swap back and forth to see which you like best.

Let us know how it works out.

specialk13
03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Definitely try them all! You may like one over another and it all comes down to your uke and your preferences.
Enjoy the variety!

OldePhart
03-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I agree with "try them all" (though I suspect you'll end up not settling on the Hilo :) ).

I love the Ko'Olau golds on a couple of my ukes, not so much on others. The Aquila Nylgut tend to have a sound all their own and they have the advantage that I've yet to find a uke that they weren't tolerable on (a little brash on some but usable, and always with decent intonation). Though when all is said and done I usually end up finding something that I like a little better after enough experimentation.

I've only had a couple of sets of the Hilo and wasn't impressed but as VanFlynn says, some around here do praise them.

John

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-21-2013, 07:38 PM
All three sets are nice. Ko'olau's Gold strings are smoother to the touch than Hilo or Aquila---less "sqeak". All three sets have the potential to be a great match for your uke, so why not pick based on style? Do you think gold, black, or white will look best on your uke?

SailingUke
03-22-2013, 04:51 AM
I also have a Larrivee Koa (not many of them around), I have use many sets of strings, but have settled on clear flourocarbons.
I played the Ko'olau's for a long time then switched to Aquila and now the flourocarbons.
Nice clear highs with good volume and sustain.