Ko'olau Gold, Hilo, Aquila Nylgut, how do they compare?

Actually there are a couple of members that have praised hilos. Each uke responds differently to strings and you have a nice variety there.

Give them all a try and see what you think. You can swap back and forth to see which you like best.

Let us know how it works out.

Definitely try them all! You may like one over another and it all comes down to your uke and your preferences.
Enjoy the variety!

I agree with "try them all" (though I suspect you'll end up not settling on the Hilo :) ).

I love the Ko'Olau golds on a couple of my ukes, not so much on others. The Aquila Nylgut tend to have a sound all their own and they have the advantage that I've yet to find a uke that they weren't tolerable on (a little brash on some but usable, and always with decent intonation). Though when all is said and done I usually end up finding something that I like a little better after enough experimentation.

I've only had a couple of sets of the Hilo and wasn't impressed but as VanFlynn says, some around here do praise them.

John

All three sets are nice. Ko'olau's Gold strings are smoother to the touch than Hilo or Aquila---less "sqeak". All three sets have the potential to be a great match for your uke, so why not pick based on style? Do you think gold, black, or white will look best on your uke?

I also have a Larrivee Koa (not many of them around), I have use many sets of strings, but have settled on clear flourocarbons.
I played the Ko'olau's for a long time then switched to Aquila and now the flourocarbons.
Nice clear highs with good volume and sustain.

Top Bottom