Ya gotta check out this ukulele...

philbot79

Reaction score
Interesting article. Strange disjunction between the band name, the signature uke and the kind of songs they write...

Personally I think it's the ugliest uke I've ever seen, for a few reasons.... but, ahh, guess we are in the post-modern world eh :)

I am so glad the cuckoolele is no longer the ugliest uke ever.

I have no idea why anyone would build a uke like that of even play one in public...sheesh...

I don't have any "problem" with the uke due to the subject - I own almost as many firearms as ukes and I used to shoot action pistol competitively - shooting is a skill and a sport just like any other. Still, "gimmick" instruments are just plain ugly, no matter the subject. If you have to resort to a gimmick "instrument" you're not a musician - you may be a performer - but you're not a musician.

About the only "gimmick" instrument I've seen that I liked was the electric guitar shaped like a baseball bat that John Fogerty used to pull out to play "Center Field" live at his concerts (he may still do so, I don't know).

John

I don't have any "problem" with the uke due to the subject - I own almost as many firearms as ukes and I used to shoot action pistol competitively - shooting is a skill and a sport just like any other. Still, "gimmick" instruments are just plain ugly, no matter the subject.

John

I'm feel the same. I own one of those "evil black rifles", and I think it is beautiful in it's own way just like my 1911. However, not as an instrument.

To see a fun-loving, life-affirming, instrument, like the uke, dolled up to look like a killing machine churns my stomach. :(

To see a fun-loving, life-affirming, instrument, like the uke, dolled up to look like a killing machine churns my stomach. :(

well said brother. Someone is sadly missing the point if they have a uke built to look like a gun. Hard to find words, really...

Hmmm. Well that's....hmmmm. "Charm" isn't the word that springs to mind. Perhaps it's a "beat your swords into ploughshares" thing?

However, I'm always wary of bands that have a name before their leader could even play an instrument.

Sadly it seems the American obsession with weapons of mass destruction has reached the humble world of ukeing. :(

Sadly it seems the American obsession with weapons of mass destruction has reached the humble world of ukeing. :(

Always makes me gloomy to hear this sort of thing.

Based on the responses, I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort to click on the link.

In other news... I would love to have me one of Ugene's creations someday.

Scooter

Top Bottom