didn't have to bust my50's martin tenor against the side of the house

dismount

Reaction score
I know this thread needs to be under tech support but I cant help it. Ken Middleton (bless his heart) took pity on me and instructed me how to check for a bad string. It saved mw trim trading it off or worse changing something on it that devalued it. Put a set of aquila strings and wow everything is perfect. Guess it took one more set of strings to try. Thanks ken I owe you big time. Kind of a new uke day for me. Phil

Well...dang...if you was trying to give us all a heart attack that's a pretty good start...

Seriously, Ken is da man! I love it when a guy with his own line of uke strings will recommend something else when he thinks it will help. Super "aloha spirit."

John

Well...dang...if you was trying to give us all a heart attack that's a pretty good start...

Seriously, Ken is da man! I love it when a guy with his own line of uke strings will recommend something else when he thinks it will help. Super "aloha spirit."
John

Sorry John. Frustrated to the Max. Thanks to all who helped me get through this. Phil

Yikes. And I thought you had checked the strings :)

Anyway, glad for the happy ending!

i thought, dismount, that your original post said you checked four sets of strings...as skinny mentioned, too.

(looks back at dismount's original post: "Cant seem to figure why 1st string is flat starting at7th fret to 14th I mean really flat. Martin repair man said its the string but 4 sets later still same problem. Anybody tell me what to do or should I bust it against the side of the house????")

just to help us all for future reference in case we get dead spots, too: you're telling us that the fifth set of strings you tried--aquila--fixed your issue, when the first four sets did not? Is that it?

If so, then indeed, Ken Middleton is a genius. Few would think to try a fifth set of strings.

Last edited:
Is $400 a great deal now? I thought you saved my name so you could sell it to me cheap? LOL

Ken Middleton (bless his heart) took pity on me and instructed me how to check for a bad string.

I am glad you managed to keep undamaged your martin and the side of your house ;), but why don't share with us your newly acquired knowledge?

I'd bet that the diameter of the string is larger than the diameter of the other 4 sets you tried and the increased diameter keeps the string from being too low in the nut slot.
If the action is too high at the nut the higher notes on the string will be sharp , if the action is too low the higher notes will be flat.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone thanks coolkayaker I should have said to check out uke tech thread. Nongdam I just about had it boxed up ready to get your shipping address!! Yep think string diameter played a role in it. Those old tenors were made for big diameter phone cable strings

Top Bottom