Goodbye to Concerts?

Stevelele

Reaction score
By now many of you may have realized that I am addicted to trying new ukes. In order to satisfy my curiosity, I've had to sell a lot of really great ukes. I am now down to what I consider my A+ ukes. Going through my collection, as I wait for my Devine and as I window shop for others, I am considering making the hard choice to sell some of my best. Here is what I'm considering.

-A Casey Kamaka built Ohta San, all koa, which Shawn Yacavone called one of the top 3 Ohta San's he's ever heard (I think he's heard over 60). This is a super special instrument. The current Ohta Sans are made by a committee of Kamaka workers--but this one was made just by Casey, which is certainly why it's so good. Coming from the same luthier who is building the custom Jake ukuleles, you would expect it to be nothing less than awesome

-My Santa Cruz Guitar Company Mahagony concert (1928 style). When I spoke to Tyler Gilman, he noted that the ukuleles from a few years ago were especially good--better than the ones they are producing now. The one I have is outstanding--it's smooth like glass and plays some of the most sophisticated notes I've heard.

-My brand new Dasilva custom 5k concert. Yes, I know I just got this, and I love it. The curl on that uke is the best I've ever seen, and Mike just outdid himself with the 5k inlay. Not only that, but it has exceptional sound

Why would I even consider selling these? Well, I think I may just stick to tenors from now on. And my aggressive spending on ukes has been bad for my wallet. Plus, I have more coming, and I love to try new ukes!

If you may be interested, let me know--I am not certain I want to sell these, so that's why they aren't in the marketplace with pics and all the other requirements. If I do decide to sell for sure, then I'll put it there and follow the marketplace rules. I am not interested in trades, unless you have something crazy like a Scheurenbrand, a Grimes or a Moore Bettah, but I know that's not about to happen! Anyhow, let this thread go anywhere you want it to go.... I'm writing this at nearly 3am, so for me, this is just as much a thread about buying/selling addiction and crazy 3am ideas as it is about anything else.

Last edited:
I can understand why you might want to sell such amazing ukuleles. My first ukulele was a concert, and now I play tenors and baritones almost exclusively, and I even find myself having tenors I don't play anymore.

Quick question, though - why is this post here instead of in the Marketplace?

It's only because I'm not sure I want to sell them--it's sort of a crazy idea that I just came up with tonight--if you had asked me yesterday I would probably not even have considered it. So I'm kind of just talking out loud about what's going through my mind about my collection at this point, not putting them on the market. But if anyone wants to talk to me about it privately that's cool, too

I can understand why you might want to sell such amazing ukuleles. My first ukulele was a concert, and now I play tenors and baritones almost exclusively, and I even find myself having tenors I don't play anymore.

Quick question, though - why is this post here instead of in the Marketplace?

interesting. i would like to know more about this management change at SCGC. i was there last year, and as far as i could tell, richard hoover was still there and fully in charge.

If I could afford to buy one from you, it would be the Ohta San.

But that ain't happenin', so I might as well not even think about it.

Aloha Steve,
Man you are surely addicted to high end ukes....you've got it bad and you want to buy and sell....holy smokes..
Wow you got some high end addiction to ukes...you may regret selling some of your ukes, but I am sure you are keeping your best though
I would..ha ha what kind of prices are you thinking....

When I spoke to Tyler at Pua Pua last year, I thought he told me that Hoover sold a controlling interest away and is not actively involved in luthier responsibilities for ukuleles. But that is entirely second hand information, so since I don't know for sure, I will change my original posting.

interesting. i would like to know more about this management change at SCGC. i was there last year, and as far as i could tell, richard hoover was still there and fully in charge.

Interesting stuff, Steve. Of course, yours is the position we all wish we were in.

I also tend to ebb and flow in preference between the scales. For awhile it was all sopranos for me, then all baritones, now, it's almost exclusively concert scale, a consequence, at least in part, of having been built a wonderful instrument 6 months ago that I just can't put down. Long term, I think I'd like one sop, one bari and maybe a few select concerts

That said, I could not afford the price of instruments you're talking about, as much as I wish I could. The circumstances in my life are different now, and the availability of funds is limited. Were I in the market with available funds, it'd be the Santa Cruz I'd go for no doubt.

But if I may, one piece of advice from someone who's been there: inevitably, your whims will reallign in a different configuration, and you may regret selling all these concerts. I would keep one if I were you, just for that rainy day when you go looking and it's not there. Sometimes it's nice to pick up a uke of different scale, just cause it's something different, and may prevent you coughing up a fortune again.

That's good advice Jon. I will probably change my mind tomorrow and wake up to find that I had written some dumb stuff on the underground when I should have been sleeping!

Interesting stuff, Steve. Of course, yours is the position we all wish we were in.

I also tend to ebb and flow in preference between the scales. For awhile it was all sopranos for me, then all baritones, now, it's almost exclusively concert scale, a consequence, at least in part, of having been built a wonderful instrument 6 months ago that I just can't put down. Long term, I think I'd like one sop, one bari and maybe a few select concerts

That said, I could not afford the price of instruments you're talking about, as much as I wish I could. The circumstances in my life are different now, and the availability of funds is limited. Were I in the market with available funds, it'd be the Santa Cruz I'd go for no doubt.

But if I may, one piece of advice from someone who's been there: inevitably, your whims will reallign in a different configuration, and you may regret selling all these concerts. I would keep one if I were you, just for that rainy day when you go looking and it's not there. Sometimes it's nice to pick up a uke of different scale, just cause it's something different, and may prevent you coughing up a fortune again.

I've found myself in the same predicament having sold some of my nicer sopranos and concerts in order to play tenors and baris more. I do keep a concert and a soprano on hand because there are days I want to play them. My concert is a Pono that I can stuff in a backpack, or leave overnight at work and my soprano is a Kiwaya laminate that I can do the same with. Still great ukes that are enjoyable to play at the beach, but they aren't "investment" ukes and I don't feel bad if I don't play them for awhile.

Yeah sell them!! If you want a uke sound, play a soprano, if you want a deeper sound, play a tenor!! Just kidding!!

I know what you had, what you got, what you gonna get so I wouldn't sweat....however, get some sleep and see how you feel. With that said, you are listing 3 ukes that aren't going to be made again in the near future so think twice my friend

There should be a twelve-step group. ;)

You should just start a Ukulele Review site. I did and I get new shiny things all the time, then I get to let them go.

I made the decision over three years ago to stick solely with tenors in order to improve my playing. Not jumping back and forth from different scale sizes has allowed me to become completely familliar with the tenor scale. I sold the few concerts that I had, except for a KoAloha Pikake concert that I have held onto even though I don't play it. It is just a great, great, simple uke. I even sold my super concerts, as I like the consistent feel of the tenor body size.

I do have a long scale tenor that sounds amazing, but it does take a little adjustment timewise to "re-aquaint" myself with when I play it.

As far as the difference in sound between the sizes go, there are many manufacturers and builders out there that build tenors that have that "traditional uke" sound, if that is what you are after.

"Viva la tenor!"

I sold the SCGC uke. Man, what an amazing ukulele that is. The finish is unreal and it sounds unbelievable. It is one of the best ukes I have ever played, and that is saying quite a lot!

Now I've got to decide whether I'm going to get rid of the Ohta San and/or the incredible Dasilva 5k:

5k.jpg

I sold the SCGC uke. Man, what an amazing ukulele that is. The finish is unreal and it sounds unbelievable. It is one of the best ukes I have ever played, and that is saying quite a lot!

sold the Santa Cruz??? I don't know whether to cry or be happy. I think I'll do both.

I'm just hoping I get my Devine before you.

Yeah, it's so great, but actually I'm really happy that someone will have a chance to experience just how great it is. I've always said SCGC's old ukes don't get nearly the credit they deserve. In my opinion, it would be impossible for anyone to make a mahagony concert as good as they've made it.

sold the Santa Cruz??? I don't know whether to cry or be happy. I think I'll do both.

I'm just hoping I get my Devine before you.

Top Bottom