Circuit of Reviewers Tenor Uke - Poll #2 - Tuners

Please choose the tuners you would like to see!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DewGuitars

Reaction score
Please choose your preferred tuners for a tenor. Multiple choices allowed.

All comments welcome...!

Last edited:
Oops...

This is actually Poll #3... if one of you kind Admin folks could rename the poll to reflect that, I'd be highly appreciative.
Thanks!

Hmmm....sounds like I should have added Pegheads to the list. Are they really that good? Seems like the new Waverly's would be their equal...

Peg heads aren't good at all. Its part of the machismo of the ukulele world that one is experienced enough to use peg heads and others aren't so they can look down on them. Its a statement of fashion. Many people will complain about my view and they will claim that peg head tuners are easy to use but that's all part of the "machismo". Still, these macho's do buy ukulele's.

Anthony

I haven't used Pegheds yet but I have had ukes with both geared and friction tuners. Pegheds seem like they would be the perfect in between. More precise and easier to tune that friction, lighter than geared. And they look dead simple to use. What makes them difficult to use?

Peg heads aren't good at all. Its part of the machismo of the ukulele world that one is experienced enough to use peg heads and others aren't so they can look down on them. Its a statement of fashion. Many people will complain about my view and they will claim that peg head tuners are easy to use but that's all part of the "machismo". Still, these macho's do buy ukulele's.

Anthony

Haha. Interesting perspective.

Anthony

I don't know that I think of Ken as a really macho kind of guy. Maybe he's different in real life than in his videos and correspondence. ;)

That being said, I do hear what you're saying. I think that, with any hobby that truly engages people, there will be many who use their knowledge and skill more to show off than to encourage new comers. Perhaps this is sometimes the case with Pegheads.
However, I feel that the reason folks like them has little to do with them being statements of superior uke skill or experience. In the same way that you clearly dislike Pegheads because you find them difficult to use, others may find, based on their experience - whether great or non-existent - that pegheads do work well for them.
Learning to use a difficult tool is not a bad thing; but, lording one's supposed superiority over another surely is.

I don't know that I think of Ken as a really macho kind of guy. Maybe he's different in real life than in his videos and correspondence. ;)

Not macho? I used to be a stand in for Sylvester Stallone (in another life). We are about the same height, similar build (if you use a lot of imagination). Of course, he speaks more clearly than me, but, as far as I know, he doesn't play the ukulele.

As for Pegheds? There are several reasons why I like them. They give a better balance to the instrument, they look better (a ukulele looks better if it doesn't have 4 ears sticking out) and I find them easier to use than regular geared tuners.

Not macho? I used to be a stand in for Sylvester Stallone (in another life). We are about the same height, similar build (if you use a lot of imagination). Of course, he speaks more clearly than me, but, as far as I know, he doesn't play the ukulele.

Pictures or it's not true. And if you can't provide them, I think i've got a date with photoshop to make it true!

As for Pegheds? There are several reasons why I like them. They give a better balance to the instrument, they look better (a ukulele looks better if it doesn't have 4 ears sticking out) and I find them easier to use than regular geared tuners.

What about slotted headstocks? These solve both the four ears and weight problems.

All well and good folks, but (ahem) yes, this is a little off-track.
But funny!

Apologies.

I do suggest considering the slotted headstock route. No doubt they are more difficult to build but, seeing as they are not very common, they might be a worthwhile brand-building feature.

Top Bottom