PDA

View Full Version : Circuit of Reviewers Tenor Uke - Poll #2 - Tuners

DewGuitars
03-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Please choose your preferred tuners for a tenor. Multiple choices allowed.

All comments welcome...!

DewGuitars
03-22-2013, 01:45 AM
This is actually Poll #3... if one of you kind Admin folks could rename the poll to reflect that, I'd be highly appreciative.
Thanks!

bluesuke
03-22-2013, 02:19 AM
PegHeds are my favorite tuner

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 03:11 AM
On a light, all-solid top-quality uke, Pegheds would be my choice.

ukeeku
03-22-2013, 03:32 AM
I love my PegHeds.

DewGuitars
03-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Hmmm....sounds like I should have added Pegheads to the list. Are they really that good? Seems like the new Waverly's would be their equal...

anthonyg
03-22-2013, 04:52 AM
Peg heads aren't good at all. Its part of the machismo of the ukulele world that one is experienced enough to use peg heads and others aren't so they can look down on them. Its a statement of fashion. Many people will complain about my view and they will claim that peg head tuners are easy to use but that's all part of the "machismo". Still, these macho's do buy ukulele's.

Anthony

dirtiestkidever
03-22-2013, 05:11 AM
I haven't used Pegheds yet but I have had ukes with both geared and friction tuners. Pegheds seem like they would be the perfect in between. More precise and easier to tune that friction, lighter than geared. And they look dead simple to use. What makes them difficult to use?

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Peg heads aren't good at all. Its part of the machismo of the ukulele world that one is experienced enough to use peg heads and others aren't so they can look down on them. Its a statement of fashion. Many people will complain about my view and they will claim that peg head tuners are easy to use but that's all part of the "machismo". Still, these macho's do buy ukulele's.

Anthony

Haha. Interesting perspective.

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 05:21 AM
I haven't used Pegheds yet but I have had ukes with both geared and friction tuners. Pegheds seem like they would be the perfect in between. More precise and easier to tune that friction, lighter than geared. And they look dead simple to use. What makes them difficult to use?

They are not.

JamieFromOntario
03-22-2013, 05:29 AM

Anthony

I don't know that I think of Ken as a really macho kind of guy. Maybe he's different in real life than in his videos and correspondence. ;)

That being said, I do hear what you're saying. I think that, with any hobby that truly engages people, there will be many who use their knowledge and skill more to show off than to encourage new comers. Perhaps this is sometimes the case with Pegheads.
However, I feel that the reason folks like them has little to do with them being statements of superior uke skill or experience. In the same way that you clearly dislike Pegheads because you find them difficult to use, others may find, based on their experience - whether great or non-existent - that pegheads do work well for them.
Learning to use a difficult tool is not a bad thing; but, lording one's supposed superiority over another surely is.

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 06:01 AM
I don't know that I think of Ken as a really macho kind of guy. Maybe he's different in real life than in his videos and correspondence. ;)

Not macho? I used to be a stand in for Sylvester Stallone (in another life). We are about the same height, similar build (if you use a lot of imagination). Of course, he speaks more clearly than me, but, as far as I know, he doesn't play the ukulele.

As for Pegheds? There are several reasons why I like them. They give a better balance to the instrument, they look better (a ukulele looks better if it doesn't have 4 ears sticking out) and I find them easier to use than regular geared tuners.

JamieFromOntario
03-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Not macho? I used to be a stand in for Sylvester Stallone (in another life). We are about the same height, similar build (if you use a lot of imagination). Of course, he speaks more clearly than me, but, as far as I know, he doesn't play the ukulele.

Pictures or it's not true. And if you can't provide them, I think i've got a date with photoshop to make it true!

As for Pegheds? There are several reasons why I like them. They give a better balance to the instrument, they look better (a ukulele looks better if it doesn't have 4 ears sticking out) and I find them easier to use than regular geared tuners.

What about slotted headstocks? These solve both the four ears and weight problems.

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Pictures or it's not true ...

Pictures it shall be:

Here I am getting ready to do the dangerous boxing scenes in Rocky XIV. the second shows me in a film with Tom Hanks, a buddy of mine from the old days.

JamieFromOntario
03-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Pictures it shall be:

Here I am getting ready to do the dangerous boxing scenes in Rocky XIV. the second shows me in a film with Tom Hanks, a buddy of mine from the old days.

Well, you've officially high-jacked the thread with those photos. I'm very pleased to have egged you on.

DewGuitars
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
All well and good folks, but (ahem) yes, this is a little off-track.
But funny!

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 07:24 AM
But funny!

Sorry. I started off making a serious point about Pegheds.

Uke Republic
03-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Pictures it shall be:

I remember that scene with Hanks! :) :)

JamieFromOntario
03-22-2013, 07:33 AM
But funny!

Apologies.

I do suggest considering the slotted headstock route. No doubt they are more difficult to build but, seeing as they are not very common, they might be a worthwhile brand-building feature.

SailingUke
03-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Pegheds are my favorite tuners as well.

cletus
03-22-2013, 12:15 PM
PegHeds for my choice.

Newportlocal
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Pictures it shall be:

Oh wow! That is the best ever! Really gave me a smile.

As far as tuners. My future customs will have Gotoh upt tuners.

Ken Middleton
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Oh wow! That is the best ever! Really gave me a smile.

If I remember correctly, we have a young person called Heather to thank for those photos.

anthonyg
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
The desire here for peg head tuners is similar in my book to the desire of some in the cycling world for down tube friction gear levers. The down tube levers are light, clean and simple. Everything you guys and gals like about friction pegs. Yet, no one in the cycling world uses them anymore but a few die hard traditionalists. STI handlebar levers are SO much better even though they do have some drawbacks too. You cant stay in the past forever.

I'm perfectly capable of tuning an instrument with peg heads. Its just that after doing it for a while I would MUCH prefer to be able to do micro tuning with an open back geared tuner.

Anthony

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-22-2013, 01:27 PM
The desire here for peg head tuners is similar in my book to the desire of some in the cycling world for down tube friction gear levers. The down tube levers are light, clean and simple. Everything you guys and gals like about friction pegs. Yet, no one in the cycling world uses them anymore but a few die hard traditionalists. STI handlebar levers are SO much better even though they do have some drawbacks too. You cant stay in the past forever.

I'm perfectly capable of tuning an instrument with peg heads. Its just that after doing it for a while I would MUCH prefer to be able to do micro tuning with an open back geared tuner.

Anthony

I think you are mistaking PEGHED brand tuners for friction peg tuners. They aren't! They are a planetary geared tuner with a 1:4 tuning ratio. I've taken one apart (never to be reassembled!) and they are anything but "simple".
That said, different applications require different tuners. That's why I use several types.

anthonyg
03-22-2013, 01:30 PM
OK, I did think that most were talking about friction pegs. Gotoh planetary pegs are different. Peghead brand too. I've just noticed them. Thats the problem with turning a common name into a brand name.

Anthony

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Peghed brand tuners are spelled without the "a". I think most people who responded to this poll got it right but if you aren't familiar with them it's easy to confuse. I just wanted to set the record straight.

hawaii 50
03-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey Anthony

I am a Campy guy myself..but I did have one bike with Shimano on it..

th Peghed tuner uses the same idea that Campy and Shimano uses with internal gears..i started riding when I saw the the shifters on the brakes..great idea huh?

I like how the Pegheds have the old school look,,i hope Waverly can make a tuner like the Peghed..to me the Gotoh ones still to bulky..i've seen a uke at HMS with the Gotoh planetary tuners..but they are nice

OldePhart
03-22-2013, 02:25 PM
The new Gotoh planetary tuners...

Dan Uke
03-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Based on all my votes, I think the uke is going to be $$$$$...What price point are you trying to target? This is going to be one expensive smiley face uke.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
,i hope Waverly can make a tuner like the Peghed..

Why? So they can charge double the amount of Pegheds? Waverlys are nice (they'd be nicer if there were more finish and button options) but they are ridiculously priced compared to others. They could knock at least ten bucks off the price by simply eliminating the velvet lined jewelry box they come in. As a builder, I don't want fancy packaging, it doesn't impress me and only winds up in the garbage.

anthonyg
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Hey Anthony

I am a Campy guy myself..but I did have one bike with Shimano on it..

th Peghed tuner uses the same idea that Campy and Shimano uses with internal gears..i started riding when I saw the the shifters on the brakes..great idea huh?

I like how the Pegheds have the old school look,,i hope Waverly can make a tuner like the Peghed..to me the Gotoh ones still to bulky..i've seen a uke at HMS with the Gotoh planetary tuners..but they are nice

I started cycling YEARS ago with friction shifters. Handlebar mounted index shifting is such a GREAT development. I was confused between plain old friction pegs and PEGHEDS.

Anthony

mm stan
03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
While I have mixed feelings on planetary tuners I love them on my soprano but undecided on my tenor
Waverly has nice koa or ebony knobs though but not excited about ther rest..http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Waverly_Ukulele_Tuners.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=1774
I do love these gotoh mini 510 too gold too but still looking http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Mini_510_Tuners_with_Metal_Knobs_6-In-Line.html
Here is the new Goto planetary tuners...intresting http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?p=3230
While the lightest is the Goto Stealth tuners http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Tuning+Machines&NameProdHeader=Gotoh%99+Stealth+Tuners
And I do like gotoh pearloid button for contrast for ebony veneer headstocks http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GUKNP.htm
and these ones really stand out better....http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/the-45/Gotoh-Ukulele-UK3WGG-Pegs/Detail
I like the slim design of these..http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/the-11/Gotoh-Ukulele-SG381-Pegs/Detail

DewGuitars
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Based on all my votes, I think the uke is going to be $$$$$...What price point are you trying to target? This is going to be one expensive smiley face uke.

Ah, but I never said this was going to be a Smiley-Uke... It's actually going to be a more traditional uke...normal looking. I'm shooting for that on this one. A Smiley-Uke for the circuit uke? Hmm...not sure about that. I suppose if folks wanted that to travel rather than a more traditional uke I could consider that - but it's not what I was really planning. That said, if there were enough requests for that instead, I might could be convinced. If so, a matching top wood would be out. It's got to be yellow.

Chuck, I'm in total agreement about the price of the Waverly's. I love their tuners, and they are the best production tuners out there, but way overpriced, and the fancy box just feeds into their marketing of the product as an exclusive and high-end product. They want it that way. Otherwise, the real cost of the things would and could be substantially less. I'd be willing to bet that there's at least a 10X markup on those...

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Chuck, I'm in total agreement about the price of the Waverly's. I love their tuners, and they are the best production tuners out there, but way overpriced, and the fancy box just feeds into their marketing of the product as an exclusive and high-end product. They want it that way. Otherwise, the real cost of the things would and could be substantially less. I'd be willing to bet that there's at least a 10X markup on those...

Yeah, we get it. They are a well made tuner. But please, save the boxes. (I keep them because they seem too good to throw away.) I can buy Grovers in bulk with no packaging. I boycotted Waverlys for years because I felt I was getting ripped off. I reluctantly use them now but I cringe every time I do. The smart guys in our business make parts and provide services for the stupid guys like use who use them...... Jus' saying.

DewGuitars
03-23-2013, 02:02 AM
The smart guys in our business make parts and provide services for the stupid guys like us who use them...... Jus' saying.

I hear that brother!

But it doesn't always work out so great for the other side. I do work for other builders with my CNC, doing inlay work on headplates, cutting fretboards, bridges, etc.. I charge so little that I rarely actually make any money on a job. The little one-off jobs are money losers, and that's mostly what I do, because it at least provides a service people need, and it keeps me out of trouble and off the streets at night.
;-)