Vintage Yamaha soprano w/ Wood Pegs & Orig. Box

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm continuing with my spring cleaning, selling off everything that I don't regularly play. I very rarely play soprano and when I do, I play my Martin. So up for your consideration is a midcentury Yamaha soprano with its original box. Asking $125 plus actual shipping.

IMG_2190.jpgIMG_2191.jpgIMG_2193.jpgIMG_2194.jpgIMG_2195.jpg

I've seen only a handful of these over the years, and this is the only one I've seen with wooden violin-style tuning pegs. The uke itself is, I believe, mahogany. The pegs look like maple. They turn easily and hold their tuning well.

The uke is lightly built and has very good volume. It has a nice bright vintage tone. The original finish is pretty much intact and shiny, although there are a few small dings and a little edge wear. There are grain cracks on the front and back, but they are tight and hard to see. The cracks on the front were sealed but not cleated (I used instrument glue from Luthier's Mercantile and clamped until dry). I have not similarly sealed the back cracks, although I'd be happy to if the buyer wishes. Please check out the Flickr photo album link below to see many more photos.

The box itself is nothing special, unless you're into vintage Japanese corrugated cardboard. It doesn't have any markings except the model number and the original price sticker bearing the name of the store where the uke was purchased.

More photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157632993959095/

This is a really nice, scarce solid-wood vintage soprano. Please PM me with any questions. Thanks for looking!

I have one of these that is 100% solid maple. These old Yammy's really project some volume.:cool:

Top Bottom