UB trapdoor spring broke

Frets

Reaction score
Any one have any experience in replacing one of these. Only one broke and I can't even pull the broken one out. It may be 'locked' under the piece of wood covering it. No one locally has any familiarity with this situation. Your thoughts are always appreciated. I love the UB, btw.
-Frets in Belfast, Maine, USA

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 31
I guess it depends how important it is to you to not modify it in any way. You could put some small brass hinges from a hardware store on the front, then just clip the remaining spring hinge. I would agree the ends of the spring hinges are probably captured under those plates somehow and I dont think pulling it out is going to work. clip the ends off with wire clippers and file and sharp remains off. Now if you want it fixed right I would contact Elderly music in Lansing, MI. This seems right up their alley. Though I bet that would be an expensive proposition......good luck, thats really a suckfest, but considering the design I would have to think these break all the time, there must be some sort of precedent for repair.

163_Gibson_UB_twins_back_view.jpg

here is a pic of a guy who added some hinges to replace his springs.....doesnt look too bad, but I bet it messes up the value pretty bad.

Top Bottom