PSA: You Get What You Pay For - Cherub Clip On Pickup

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
Here's my public service announcement for the Cherub clip on pickup - don't bother.

Note: I am not fussy with my music equipment. I have always purchased low end, inexpensive stuff and made the best of it. I never have owned and never will own a very expensive instrument.
My uke is a 90 dollar Kala Makala that I enjoy very much.

I wanted to start playing through an amp, and I tried to see if I could get by with a cheapie Cherub clip on pickup. Failure. Terrible.
Just don't bother.

Over and out.

At least give constructive criticism of what is wrong with it rather than just blunt attacking the product.
This thread to me is pointless unless you do so.

Ok, fair enough.

- While clipping it to the body, it seemed to break. It dropped 30% in volume while trying to find a sweet spot.
- Sweet spot or not, the tone was not good. Weak and not very pleasant.
- Generates lots of other noise when you rub against the body of the uke.

Just not useable. It's only worthy as a pickup for a tuner.

Maybe you can try getting hold of where you bought it from, if it seemed to break then sounded worse, chances are it was a short straw and did break.
Piezo pickups generally create other noise too, hence why it is generally more of an acoustic or bass method of amplification, for percussive techniques, or just things that aren't picked up by magnets!

Passive piezoelectric pickups tend to be weak and squawky. That's why I recommend an active D.I. EQ preamp to make them sound more natural and be able to properly drive an amp. I like the Cherub. From a previous post:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?9656-Ukulele-pickups/page2

"Clip one of these onto the headstock of your ukulele:

http://www.amazon.com/Cherub-Guitar-Pickup/dp/B004UJO41S

and control it with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ADI...&ie=UTF8&qid=1361170799&sr=1-1&keywords=adi21 "

UkeKiddinMe: Are you referring to the headstock clip-on or the model that clips to the soundhole?

I was thinking of getting one to play through an over-driven amp, and after hearing the Uncle Kiki vid I am convinced that it would sound just like the mid-range honk I would enjoy.

To each their own.

Aloha,
Maybe the unit itself is bad. I'd take it back and try another one if possible. If ricdoug thinks it's good, then I'll take his word at it. To me, he's the pickup and amp Guru here...........................Bo................

UkeKiddinMe: Are you referring to the headstock clip-on or the model that clips to the soundhole?

I was thinking of getting one to play through an over-driven amp, and after hearing the Uncle Kiki vid I am convinced that it would sound just like the mid-range honk I would enjoy.

To each their own.

It can clip to either.

Maybe mine was bad.

Frank, it might be bad but I've encountered many amps, like the Roland Microcube where a piezoelectric pickup without a pickup will not drive them to their potential. They also sound thin and raspy through Behringer mixers. Uncle Kiki's a very accomplished musician on guitar and steel guitar, too. He uses an old beat up Crate 65 watt solid state guitar amp for most of his gigs and gets some of the sweetest sounds from it using an old Fender Stratocasterthat he chopped down the body on to reduce it's weight. I would glady send you another Cherub to try out and keep regardless, Frank. Ric

I have a Cherub guitar pickup and a generic spare. I think they sound fine, not really acoustic if you crank them too much, but just fine for a bit of amp. I use and in fact keep mine, right in my Pignose 7-100. I just clip it on to the head stock and find a flat sweet spot.:2cents:

I took the plunge, but at this price it ain't much of a plunge ;)

I also got a practice amp with overdrive for $20 off craigslist. I am looking forward to a taste of overdrive.

Midrange honk, here I come

The main thing I did not like about a headstock clip on pickup was the extra noise I got from it as I played.
I have a not very expensive stick-on that I use with much better results.
It has a reusable putty that does not damage the finish and makes the pick-up movable.
It has been a great backup device too.

Top Bottom