I can't take it anymore - are we all blind? :)

OldePhart

Reaction score
FIRST – STRAIGHT OFF THE MARK – I don't want this thread to degenerate into a thread that is bashing (or even praising) any particular builders or even builders in general. Please do NOT:
1) Mention any builder by name - not even to praise them. It's not fair to builders to have their name end up in a Google search associated with a thread about flaws, even if their name was only there because someone was praising their work.
2) Link to any other threads, especially marketplace threads, or to any builder's websites, etc.
3) Post any pictures (many of us can identify a builder's work by even a small part of an instrument).

Again, this thread is about PLAYERS and why we spend our money the way we do!

Okay, with that out of the way, is it just me or does anybody else wonder why so many “luthier-built” ukuleles sell for often princely sums in the marketplace in spite of obvious careless flaws that show up clearly in the pictures? Now, mind, we're not talking about ukes being sold as seconds; I'm the first guy who will snap up a cosmetic blem if it is mentioned and the price is adjusted appropriately! I'm talking about ukuleles with obvious flaws that are not mentioned by the builder.

I've been watching the marketplace for a couple of years and I've seen quite a few of these instruments sell in spite of having unacknowledged problems of the sort that make me wonder what other less obvious problems might be lurking “under the wood.” Most of the issues are probably cosmetic, but when the builder doesn't acknowledge them I have to wonder how careful the builder is in less visible, but more important, areas. Also, we're not just talking about a tiny bubble in a finish or something like that, these are things that are actually “structural” though hopefully not fatally so.

So, what are the kinds of things I'm talking about? Most of them wouldn't affect play and are things like one tuner misaligned from the others; a splintered, uneven, wide, or non-straight heel join that has just been filled with glue and sawdust; binding joins in odd and highly visible places; and, perhaps my favorite only because it seems so ridiculous on otherwise gorgeous ukes, string holes in bridges that just kind of wander across the bridge like the footprints of a drunken sailor. If a builder doesn't care enough to build a bridge-drilling jig, or at least measure accurately, for something so obvious as this I have to wonder how tight the bracing and kerfing that I cant see are, etc.

Also, again, if the blem was acknowledged up front by the builder and the price adjusted, most of these issues wouldn't stop me from buying the uke (assuming the price adjustment was adequate). It's when the builder apparently hasn't even noticed these flaws that I really have to wonder what else might be wrong.

I've also seen a handful of ukes go through the marketplace with issues that pretty much had to affect playability. In one case a neck was obviously set at a slight (rotational) angle, on others there has been one string significantly higher or lower than the others, and several cases of strings spaced quite unevenly.

We're not talking about a single builder, either, though there are a couple that pop to mind that I will never purchase from because I've seen so many examples of unacknowledged and simply careless flaws from their shops. Yet people jump on ukes from those very builders like cats on June bugs!

So, we get back to my question... Why do so many of us act as if such builders are doing us a favor letting us spend several hundred dollars, sometimes over a grand, on instruments built so carelessly? Is paying so much for flawed work cheapening the work of those who are really careful? Or, is paying so much for flawed work inflating the high-end ukulele market? I don't have answers, but the questions are driving me nuts. :biglaugh:

That's a tough question to answer but here's my first short response. Market is hot, lots of hype, so they are taking advantage and charging a high amount while riding on shirt tails of the premier luthiers. To explain, since the premier luthiers are charging $$$$, I can charge a few hundred cheaper and people are getting a bargain.

There's been lots of talk of custom vs. production K brand and many want a custom since it's personalized. People on UU don't give very negative opinions on ukes in IMO since they don't want to devalue the brand in case they sell it and there are others that like that brand so your opinion might be an aberration. Statistics and standard deviation...try to find a uke that has a very small range with a few way out there blips, that you just ignore.

Finally, John, you are an engineer and you find flaws that don't bother others. LOL!! Im an econ major so I really believe market dictates price. If someone buys it, then that is what it is worth...Eventually the demand curve will go down and luthiers combat it by having limited supply.

Last edited:
From my point of view, luthier-built instruments are works of multi-dimensional art. What is art worth? Hard to say.

I agree with Daniel that prices are influenced by demand (I did take Econ 101 many decades ago :) ).
From a manufacturing side the average uke takes 40-60 hours (from a skilled craftsman) to build and has $?00 in components, then $1000 for a price is a bargain.
What does a plumber or electrician get paid per hour? Should a luthier be paid less?

Regarding flaws, small things will happen to wooden objects as they are made, especially by human hands. Carelessness, should not happen, but a small scratch, ding, drop of glue, etc. is almost unavoidable.

From my point of view, luthier-built instruments are works of multi-dimensional art. What is art worth? Hard to say.

I agree with Daniel that prices are influenced by demand (I did take Econ 101 many decades ago :) ).
From a manufacturing side the average uke takes 40-60 hours (from a skilled craftsman) to build and has $?00 in components, then $1000 for a price is a bargain.
What does a plumber or electrician get paid per hour? Should a luthier be paid less?

Regarding flaws, small things will happen to wooden objects as they are made, especially by human hands. Carelessness, should not happen, but a small scratch, ding, drop of glue, etc. is almost unavoidable.

Wow nice thread John well thought out..not just put out there on a whim either..

I can go on and on,on this subject..but will probably get in trouble..so my one thing is..I wonder how some builders that have a great reputation will send out an instrument with many many flaws on them(say 3 or 4) that any one can see..yes John I wonder if some builders think we are Blind..funny I have said this many times..

I don't get it and hope this thread answers my question

for me if I was getting all kinds of praise on my instruments I would slow down and make them even better..not speed up to get them out..

my 2 cents

Last edited:
My wife recently purchase a wooden, carved, decorative rabbit for Easter.
It was made in China and the hangtag read...
Artisan created, subtle imperfections only add to the beauty and individuality of each handmade piece.
One of the beautiful eyes was considerably higher than the other.

Last edited:
It's an interesting thread to be sure - and, although being an absolute newbie to ukes, I do have what I consider to be something of an eye for detail and I've also noticed a few things on ukes of all values that really make me wonder if I'm being 'picky' in the 'faults' I can see, or whether such 'faults' are an accepted part of the Uke world.

The one that really always drives me crazy is the one you mentioned about mis-aligned tuners! I mean, how difficult is it, even on the cheapest of ukes to put a handful of screws in to make four pieces of metal line up with a edge and with each other? If it was 'just' the very cheapest end of the market, then I guess there's a bit of an excuse, but this still seems to be prevalent in instruments that cost (to me) a lot of money - ie £100 plus. Drives me nuts that does! :D

To me, the definition of perfection is imperfection!
Small faults do add character definitely, and give it a more personalised feel, like a bit of history!

a splintered, uneven, wide, or non-straight heel join that has just been filled with glue and sawdust

It's funny you mention this. This bugs me. I showed my wife a photo of what appeared to be a sloppy join the other day and she didn't care, but I couldn't believe the price being asked for this type of mistake. I do think that if I am to look at these things as musical instruments, then sound and playability should be the first things I consider. I've been placated by the mere beauty of the tone and playability of an instrument when there were aesthetic flaws found.

...To explain, since the premier luthiers are charging $$$$, I can charge a few hundred cheaper and people are getting a bargain.

Yeah... I think you may have just nailed much of the attitude - the reason for the sloppy work. My question falls back to why we as buyers let them get away with it. Price wise most of these ukes that are "bargains" are at least within spitting distance of K-brands that are very consistent, well-made, good players with excellent tone...and that retain their resale value very well.

If I buy a "bargain luthier" piece my "investment" is very dependent on that luthier's continued reputation and if his or her work is consistently a little sloppy then the resale value of the entire line is eventually going to reflect that. And, if I've actually purchased one of the ones with visible flaws, even if the luthier's reputation grows and the line remains respected, everyone is going to assume that I bought a second if I ever try to move it. Again, I love seconds, but only if they've been priced right.

Finally, John, you are an engineer and you find flaws that don't bother others. LOL!! ...

Yeah...probably something to be said for that. And often the flaws wouldn't even bother me if they were acknowledged and priced accordingly - I love seconds. :) I guess it's the thought that, "gee...if this person is that sloppy and pays so little attention to detail that they didn't even notice flaws that are readily visible, how can I have any confidence in the part of the piece that I can't see?"

John

What's not to understand? People have ukes to sell, they price them, and people either buy them or don't. What's it gotta do with you? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. Just let people live their lives. What's the big deal? Maybe I'm in a bad mood. How are ya, John? See you at UWC? I gotta tell ya, I had a great time hanging out with you last year.

I'm part way with you on this...though I can't go as far as "almost unavoidable" because I know a couple of meticulous craftsman that simply don't make those kinds of mistakes - or who carry such pride in their work that when they do they will do whatever it takes to correct the piece or even discard it.

However, for the most part I agree with you. If there is a tiny bit of glue squeeze out or a small scratch, dimple, or tiny finish bubble I probably won't even notice it (especially the last few years with my near vision going south). Furthermore, I buy my instruments to play so even if I notice a problem like that, before or after the sale, it's not going to bother me - sooner or later the instrument is going to have my own collection of dents and dings.

But, the kind of things I'm talking about are really just evidence of haste or general carelessness. When a tuner is misaligned, bridge holes drilled unevenly, a neck at an angle, etc. it is clear evidence that the builder didn't bother to make a jig and was careless about measuring. When heel joins are rough cut and splintered it means the builder got in a hurry and used a dull (or improper) saw and then didn't care enough to go back and fix the problem with a bit of contrasting inlay or something like that.

And...it's not even the visible flaw that concerns me so much - I'm NOT a bling kinda guy. But, if a builder is careless with visible details, why would I believe that he or she is any more careful with invisible ones? It all goes back to that idea of attention to detail and paying a premium price for a product that probably doesn't deserve that price; at least not when there are K-brands available at roughly the same price where the attention to detail in things that matter is much more evident.

John

yes I'm an engineer of sorts (sorry not licensed) and being tech its easy to underestimate market dynamics and people's behaviour. forums are a very good places for selling wares to people. its a concentrated market that tends to be buyer heavy. just don't try to make a living this way, though.

it is very hard to buy a custom ukulele without ever seeing one or playing it..i made the mistake of buying into the hype with 1 or 2 of my ukes

I went and trusted my fellow UU members and learned the hard way..but that was my fault..sometimes the truth hurts and nobody wants to admit they were wrong..

so I guess you have to do your homework plus even more if you are spending a lot of money on a custom ukulele..but John I do not see anything changing..people are still to go with the hype and learn like I did..but you throwing questions out like this should help some..thxs brah!

Last edited:
for me if I was getting all kinds of praise on my instruments I would slow down and make them even better..not speed up to get them out..

Very good point! And, it's obvious that some of the top builders made that very decision at some point in their past and their work shows it. My questions, though, would be are we as players "enablers" of those who haven't that sort of ethic? I think I asked in the original post something to the effect of, "are we cheapening the work of the really careful conscientious builders when we patronize builders who are less meticulous?"

Daniel pointed out that the builders we're talking about are seen by many buyers as "bargain customs" or something like that. It's true that a builder who is just starting out should be given a little slack (and their prices should and largely do reflect their beginner status) because everybody has to start some place. But, in some cases we see builders go on for years, their prices go up, yet with no real improvement in their work - at that point one has to believe that they're just content with cranking out somewhat sloppy work - do we really want to reward that, and do we insult more conscientious builders when we do?

John

My wife recently purchase a wooden, carved, decorative rabbit for Easter.
It was made in China and the hangtag read...
Artisan created, subtle imperfections only add to the beauty and individuality of each handmade piece.
One of the beautiful eyes was considerably higher than the other.

BWAAA-HAAAA. (I hope she didn't pay upwards of a grand for it, though :) )

"are we cheapening the work of the really careful conscientious builders when we patronize builders who are less meticulous?"

We are not cheapening the work of the cream of the crop, we are merely setting "acceptable" price standards for everyone else. Any uke, custom or otherwise, is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

And perhaps, if the market is that insatiable, and the backlogs for the preferred luthiers is so huge, then they SHOULD raise their prices. Simple supply and demand.

John I don't think we can do anything to help the builder who just wants to send out their work with flaws in them BUT when your luthier or the ukulele company/factory that you get your uke comes from does a good job for you..call/email them and tell them thanks for the hard work they put in for you..thats all you can do..

I have many ukes with No flaws in them..they love their work and it shows..

Last edited:
To me, the definition of perfection is imperfection!
Small faults do add character definitely, and give it a more personalised feel, like a bit of history!

That's an interesting perspective and, to a certain extent, I can agree with it. If I'm buying a statue or a woodcarving then yes, it is very difficult to say what is a flaw and what is the artist's vision? But, something that is simply evidence of a lack attention to detail falls into an entirely different category for me.

If all of the tuners on a uke are obviously intentionally at very different angles then I can say - "the builder is artistically experimenting with the visual impact of the tuners." Whether I buy the uke or not is going to depend on whether his artistic statement strikes a chord with me. If three are aligned perfectly and one is off by several degrees then I don't have much choice but to say, "the builder got in a hurry." At that point I'm going to ask myself what else the builder might have gotten in a hurry on. Is a brace going to pop loose in a year or two? Is the top going to push up if humidity rises even just a little because the builder used a soft brace and didn't trim it short enough?

John

Last edited:
It's funny you mention this. This bugs me. I showed my wife a photo of what appeared to be a sloppy join the other day and she didn't care, but I couldn't believe the price being asked for this type of mistake. I do think that if I am to look at these things as musical instruments, then sound and playability should be the first things I consider. I've been placated by the mere beauty of the tone and playability of an instrument when there were aesthetic flaws found.

I definitely agree that sound and playability are the trump cards. No doubt there. I just have to wonder if the sound and playability of these ukes are so good that they justify the prices being brought. And then, as an engineer I have to wonder how the sound and playability can be consistent in the face of so little attention to detail...

John

Last edited:
What's not to understand? People have ukes to sell, they price them, and people either buy them or don't. What's it gotta do with you? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. Just let people live their lives. What's the big deal? Maybe I'm in a bad mood. How are ya, John? See you at UWC? I gotta tell ya, I had a great time hanging out with you last year.

Hey Seeso, counting the days, man!

I guess what got me thinking about this was the shed I built this past week (weird way to back into a thread on custom ukuleles, eh?) Anyway, my neighbor helped me and we built a 10 X 12 lofted barn with 7' sidewalls - also known hereabouts as a "big ole sucka." :) My neighbor is the handyman sort that has spent over fifty years in building trades of one sort or another - he's semi-retired and I knew he could use the cash (and I could use the help) so I asked him to help me out. This wasn't my first shed, not even the largest I've built, but working with this guy was an eye opener.

It was my shed and there were things that were purely cosmetic that I wouldn't have agonized over that he insisted on putting right. He spent time grinding small rough edges off that were going to be covered by hardi-plank siding anyway, and so on. (I've built a lot of small structures, sheds, carports, etc., and I don't even own a grinder :) )

Anyway, to me it was just a shed, even if it was my shed - but the way he went about it was as if he were building a palace for royalty. Now, the rub in all of this - the shed ended up costing me a bit over three grand even after paying him more than he asked for in labor and buying the best materials. To buy the same size shed with inferior plywood exterior siding instead of hardi-plank would have cost me right in the neighborhood of $4k to $4500 and I've seen those sheds and they are built nowhere near as well as this one.

I guess that just started me thinking about craftsmanship, etc. :)

John

Top Bottom