Honu Tapa MBU finds a new home

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Like Toucan Mango, I converted a glassware cabinet to a uke cabinet. I wanted one as all my cases are in my bedroom and I play in the living room and wanted a controlled environment. I usually put my ukes on a stand but had a couple minor accidents with kids running around.

I looked on CL for a little bit to find a single unit and one that hangs on the wall. If you want to build a large one that stands on the floor, lots of options.

I had to saw off the shelves and colored in the sides with brown markers. You can sand the sides and put some stain, varnish, etc but lazy and I am going to cover it.

I like the oasis humidifiers w/ magnets cuz they give you a clip and a stick on piece. I can use the stick on to cover the side mark and aslo use the humidier when I travel with the clip. I am going to stick a hydrometer to cover another side mark. Maybe I'll add some other stuff later.

I used a String Swing Hanger and glued it directly onto the glass with some strong epoxy. The MBU is nitro so you have to be really careful with stands and hangers. I called them and they said Gibson, Fender, Taylor uses them and they have not a had a problem. Most ukes are not nitro so don't have to worry about my other ones but this is home for MBU.

Advice, don't use too much epoxy as it seeps to the side. I had mineral spirit to wipe it down but I put so much that it was hard to get perfect...My next one will be better.

Couple of things you have to make sure is that the cabinet deep enough for the hanger and uke and secondly, you need enough clearance from the top to make sure you can take it out without dinging the uke.

Total cost was $60 for case and $10 wall hanger.

Honu Tapa is happy in it's controlled environment and I just have to hang it up.

Home (1).jpgHome (2).jpg

Last edited:
Nice Daniel..

wow for a second I thought you sold your MBU..don't do that to me..that is a beautiful Ukulele in the cabinet congrats again you lucky buggah...haha

Looks good Daniel. I am thinking about a large cabinet with a plant. I am glad you aren't selling it. You almost gave me a heart attack.:D

bet Daniel put that title on his tread to mess with us Haha

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the title of this thread. Whew. Nice new home for your beautiful uke.

Top Bottom