PDA

View Full Version : NUD Walnut Compass Rose tenor

Tailgate
03-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Here are a few pics of the Rick Turner Compass Rose walnut tenor I bought from Gryphon (great service from Paul Jacobs.. he played 3 CR's for me over the phone).
Uke is beautiful and detail is awesome. Cantilevered fretboard is very unique. Sound is warm and sustain is a 'wow'. Pulled off the Aquila's and the new Living Waters are stretching and settling in. Low G tuned, very comfortable to play.
First uke I've played that has a side sound port and I think I'm hooked. The port allows me to hear what I play much, much better (the good, the bad & the ugly)... very cool.

hawaii 50
03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Wow Tailgate..nice pictures..
you got a good deal too..i love the soundport too..all my ukes are going to have them..can you believe the fit and finish hard to beat huh?

have fun strumming

Newportlocal
03-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Congratulations! Beautiful ukulele! Sounds like you are going to have a great time!

Gary Gill
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
That is nice. I think I would like a sound port too.

connor013
03-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Man, that's sweet!

Walnut works well, doesn't it?

Enjoy!

Tailgate
03-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Man, that's sweet!

Walnut works well, doesn't it?

Enjoy!

sounds awesome! Not quite as mellow as koa but very pleasant and warm.

OldePhart
03-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Wow, very nice!

uburoibob
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I love these Ukes. I remember being at NAMM about, oh, 5 or 6 years ago, maybe even longer, and being enamored of Rick Turner's ukes.
I fell in love with them then. Every one of them was unique in materials, sound and construction. Just wonderful!

Bob

Tailgate
03-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Wow, very nice!

thanks John.. I think I remember you mentioning that you were partial to walnut for tone wood

mm stan
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Congrats Tailgate...Sweet I was looking at that one...only if I had the money...geez Have fun and enjoy man....Happy Strummings

Hippie Dribble
03-23-2013, 02:31 PM
hearty congrats Bob, she looks a beaut mate. man, that uke collection of yours is getting sweeter everyday!!!! Enjoy her brother!

Gillian
03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm glad to hear more people agreeing that walnut is a wonderful tone wood. I'm waiting on my Compass Rose...walnut with a sequoia top.

Congrats for your lovely ukulele.

remy26
03-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Congratulations!! That walnut looks great!

I just picked up the one with the sequoia top...wonder if they miss each other? :D

Tailgate
03-23-2013, 03:03 PM
hearty congrats Bob, she looks a beaut mate. man, that uke collection of yours is getting sweeter everyday!!!! Enjoy her brother!

Hey Jon.. haven't seen you post much lately.. is all good?

hawaii 50
03-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Congratulations!! That walnut looks great!

I just picked up the one with the sequoia top...wonder if they miss each other? :D

Congrats on your new CR..they are selling kind of quick huh let us know how it sounds

mds725
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Congratulations! I was at Gryphon on Monday, apparently just after they logged this ukulele into inventory but before they put it out on the floor. I was curious about it because I just got a bling-less walnut CR tenor, and I was hoping to compare the two of them. I ded end up seeing pics of ti on the website, but you'd bought it by the time I went back to Gryphon on Thursday evening (I was picking up a guitar I'd dropped of for a small repair on Monday). Anyway, your CR tenor looks gorgeous and I'm sure it sounds great. Happy strumming.

dkcrown
03-24-2013, 01:04 AM
Nice pick-up tailgate. I always enjoy going to the Gryphon website to hear Tom's sound samples and do some window shopping. BTW, Side sound ports are fantastic.

Niels_
03-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Very cool looking uke. I just realised why they are called Compass Rose :).

Tailgate
03-29-2013, 03:51 AM
Here are a few pics of the Rick Turner Compass Rose walnut tenor I bought from Gryphon (great service from Paul Jacobs.. he played 3 CR's for me over the phone).
Uke is beautiful and detail is awesome. Cantilevered fretboard is very unique. Sound is warm and sustain is a 'wow'. Pulled off the Aquila's and the new Living Waters are stretching and settling in. Low G tuned, very comfortable to play.
First uke I've played that has a side sound port and I think I'm hooked. The port allows me to hear what I play much, much better (the good, the bad & the ugly)... very cool.

I just wanted to update after having this uke for a week now.. can't say enough about the build quaity.. the weight is just right for me. When I play, the side sounport gives me good volume and I get more enjoyment out of playing because of it. The action is smooth, tone is excellent. The sustain is very very nice. It's just plain fun to play. I love my Kanilea honu tenor, but the CR gives it a run for the money. Based on the CR purchase, looks like I have a couple more ukes to sell shortly (not the Kanilea ) since they won't get much playing time.. Bob

ScooterD35
03-29-2013, 04:01 AM
I'm dying to hear a sound sample of this!

Scooter

Sporin
03-29-2013, 04:08 AM
I jam with a lot of guitar players and can often not even hear myself, I want a soundport, too! :)

BEAUTIFUL uke, I love CRs.

GASguy
03-29-2013, 05:10 AM
I have a Kaneli'a "Exotics" tenor in all flamed walnut that I love for tone and looks.

After receiving my new Compass Rose Tenor, in redwood and bubinga, last night I can only imagine how great your walnut Compass Rose tenor must sound!