New Ukes Day

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
Am awash in the joy of two new ukuleles. These are major upgrades to my collection going from starter ukuleles to player ukuleles. Both were purchased from Hawaii Music Supply and have their standard setup.

First is the KoAlana Concert. This is KoAloha's Thailand-made production model. The wood is solid sapele (similar to mahogany). It has a classic and unpretentious look: satin finish, friction tuners, and even the fingerboard is sapele. I'm guessing here, but I think that the strings are Worth Clears (that's what they use on KoAlohas). It has the same headstock profile logo as a KoAloha, but it is set apart by a piece of mango wood in the center of the star. Mango is also used for the fretboard markers.

The tone of this ukulele is very sweet. It doesn't bark (like my Luna Tattoo Concert strung with Aquilas), and the sustain goes on and on. I'm looking forward to when the tone opens up. The intonation is spot on at the 12th fret. This is just a special instrument. I bought it as an afterthought to another order, but she has stolen my heart, ears, and fingers.

======================

Pono ATD - Acacia Tenor Deluxe. I bought this ukulele to extend my collection into the tenor range. Pono is the production line of Ko'olau Hawaiian Ukuleles. they have been tweaking this line for eight years and are very proud of the quality of these ukuleles. Acacia wood is the same family of Hawaiian Koa, but not the same. This uke is jewel-like in finish and construction. Aaron told me that the strings are Ko'olau Golds (wound third string). The gloss finish is so deep and rich I could almost dive into it. It has a bone nut & saddle, tie bridge, and closed tuners with ebony heads. This ukulele has a big sound with these strings. The wound C string is almost out of balance. After a week or two with these strings I'll give some Worth Browns a try. This is definitely more ukulele than I am a player. It sounds like every little error is going to be heard in the next county; that's intimidating. I look forward to growing into this big-sounding ukulele.

Last edited:
Sweet - both are great ukes.

Congratulations! Nice ukes. Very happy making.

Congrats on you new additions to your uke family...Happy Strummings..
BTW the Koalana's are made in Bangkok, Thailand factory....

Very nice ukes, I hope they serve you well for many years!

Top Bottom