Double score (or why my wife's the best)!

remy26

Reaction score
As I mentioned in my for sale threads over in the marketplace, I decided last evening that I was ready to make a run at a special ukulele that's been discussed a little here over the last week. My wife and I will most likely be moving out of state to go back home to be closer to family at some point in the near future. It's pretty much been decided, we are just working out the when. The SF bay area has been an important part of my life over the last few years and there will be many things that I'll miss about it. We've made a lot of memories here and it would be great to be able to take a small piece of it back with us when we make the move. What a better way than with an ukulele?!

We made the short drive over to Gryphon early this afternoon to check out a couple of the new Compass Rose ukuleles that they posted on their site recently. I had the chance to try out both the 14-fret and the 12-fret tenors. I fell in love with the 12-fret! If you don't know the back story, the top is actually made from a Sequoia that lived on the UC Berkeley campus that eventually fell. Two gentleman spent a couple of years cutting up the fallen tree and hauling it out in a pickup truck. The website tells the story much better than I, but it looks like the link has been temporarily pulled. If I can get to it again, I'll post it in the thread. It will always be my small piece of the Bay Area that I can carry with me wherever I go! How cool is that?! Here is a quick pic with my phone...I'm sure it won't do it justice:

IMG_1558_zps4d49d26b.jpg

But I said that it was a double score! Well, we saw this hanging on the wall and my wife wouldn't leave with just one after she heard it too!

IMG_1557_zps5b59ac57.jpg

I was wavering a bit since it would be such a big outlay of money, but it didn't take long for her to convince me that both ukes were probably once in a lifetime finds. I've been casually looking at vintage Martins for a little while anyway and this one (late 1940's, I think) was in great condition and has tone for days!

What a great day! I am very grateful for the place that I am in life. To be able to jump on an opportunity like this and have such a great person to share it with! I really couldn't ask for anything more!

Congrats!!! Rick has some awesome Bay Area stories with his ukes. I love the Stanford fence, Bob Hope's Bar, Berkeley sequoia, and the Giant Sequoia! I also love my old Martin tenor. Sorry we missed you at the UU jam in the city today, but I'm glad you were supporting the local economy! I wish you many years of happiness with these ukes!

Aww man, the SF jam was today?! I totally forgot about it! I originally didn't think I was going to make it because of out of town visitors, but they ended up not coming. Then I never went back in and checked the date again. For some reason I was thinking April. I'll definitely try to make the next get together if we're still in the area.

congrats..I have her sister.. the walnut tenor... enjoy

Congrats on the new uke's and for sharing a great story. Love that Compass Rose!

Aww man, the SF jam was today?! I totally forgot about it! I originally didn't think I was going to make it because of out of town visitors, but they ended up not coming. Then I never went back in and checked the date again. For some reason I was thinking April. I'll definitely try to make the next get together if we're still in the area.

to make the CR connection even better try getting a tour of Rick's shop in Santa Cruz ..you will remember it for a lifetime..you can tell people you met the builder

Thanks for sharing a great story. Those ukuleles will always be a great reminder of your life in the Bay Area. I visit that Gryphon website at least four times a week and they sell those Compase Rose's like they were hot cakes! If I were Rick Turner, Gryphon would be the only store I would ever use.

Don

P.S. As you can see from my location (Kansas) I do not work for Gryphon.

Great story. Great ukes. You just made my night -- this is what the world should be like.

Congrats!

Congratulations on that Giant Sequoia topped Compass Rose, I have been looking at that listing.

Congratulations on having a great wife also; I am fortunate also, in that my girlfriend is supportive of my purchases.

Double score for double the win!

That Martin is especially awesome. I hope you enjoy those when you move out of state! When I move from Hawaii one day in the future, my favorite ukuleles will be coming with me--the guitars, maybe not, but my favorite ukuleles will definitely make the cut. Great way to remember a place by.

What a story and a day! So happy for you. Congratulations!

Congratulations! I played that Compass Rose (as well as the 14-fret) on Thursday evening. I just got my first CR a month ago (an unblinged walnut tenor with 12 frets to the body) from a web-seller in Las Vegas, or I might have bought one of the ones Gryphon just got. Alas, I missed seeing the walnut tenor that tailgate bought. It hadn't been logged into inventory when I was at Gryphon on Monday, and was gone by the time I went back on Thursday. They're great instruments, and I'm glad yours has a Bay Area tie-in.

She sounds like a great lady to force that Martin on you. ;)
They're both wonderful keepsakes. I hope everything goes smoothly with your move!

Double the pleasure. Congratulations. I would love to hear that Martin.

Congratulations!! That Martin looks amazing and the idea of having a unique with such a connection to a place important to you is very nice.

Congrats!! Enjoy them!

Top Bottom