can you change just one string?

jessesouza

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to ukuleles and find that barring chords is difficult, my ukulele was setup by HMS so the action is nice and low but I was wanted to change my 3rd string (C) and put on a .027 or .029 gauge similar to Galli concert strings or fremont flouro. Is is better to change out all the strings? I have the standard Aquilas now. Thanks for any info...

you can try it - it won't hurt anything. Different strings though have different sound and the mix may or may not sound well together.

However, you may find that the smaller gage fluoro string is actually higher tension than the Aquila! Fluorocarbon strings are thinner but they can be thinner because they are more dense. A lot of people feel like they are actually harder on the fingers because of that. I.e. the tension is the same or higher than the Aquila and the string is thinner, meaning more pain.

I'm assuming you're pretty new to the uke. Just keep playing a little each day and soon you will discover that you don't even feel the strings any more. Honest!

John

changing single string

thanks John, I am new to ukuleles and I am playing daily. It's just those confounded barr chords that I'm not pressing hard enough yet.

to me its kind of like putting 1 brand new tire on your car. it will work but it just rides better with 4 new ones

thanks John, I am new to ukuleles and I am playing daily. It's just those confounded barr chords that I'm not pressing hard enough yet.

I can relate, though I have to go back a lot of years to when I started on guitar. :)

Don't make the mistake that a lot of beginners do, though - if that uke was set up by HMS it's probably got pretty sweet action so don't feel like you need to "death clamp" even the barre chords. Hold a chord shape and very slowly pluck each string. Figure out just how much pressure it takes to get all the strings to ring clearly, then try not to use any more pressure than that. Experiment with moving your index finger around a little until you find the part that "fits" the fretboard the most cleanly.

Using more pressure than necessary just tires you out and hurts your hands. It took me years to learn to ease up on guitar and I still occasionally catch myself squeezing harder than needed.

John

changing one string

Thanks everyone, I'm going to change all the strings when my order arrives but keep the old ones, then I'll have something to compare.

As John already said: your barring problems are more related to lacking practice (which is pretty normal for beginners) than string diameters, esp. with a nice setup (low action) by HMS.

single string change

thanks Louis, I do love practicing, before I decided on my Kala, I tried a Oscar Schmidt OU2 with black strings. It played really nice. Also tried an expensive custom used ukulele with black strings. It played really nice. I'll change the strings and then I'll know a little bit more, I hope. Strings are shipped, should have them soon...

Aloha Jesse,
What strings did your order..makes a big difference in sound feel and comfort...just wondering...elderly music has a great inventory.
Yes I agree, change them all at once....would or may sound unbalanced......Happy Strummings

Last edited:
I created this several years ago to prove a point that you don't need a lot of pressure to play barre chords.

Top Bottom