I think I'm ready to do it...

river_driver

Reaction score
...sell my last remaining guitar!

I know there are quite a few folks here who discovered ukulele after first playing guitar for a while. I've played guitar on-and-off for almost25 years, and uke for only the last 3 or so, but anymore I just don't have the interest in guitar. I pick up the guitar, strum it for maybe 2 minutes, then it's back to the uke for an hour or two.

Anybody have similar experience? Have you left guitar (or another instrument) behind completely in favor of ukulele? Any regrets? or have I built this up in my mind to something larger than it really is (larger than even a guitar?)?

I've been really close to starting to move my guitars out the door several times and then just before I do something always comes up where I need a guitar (usually having to lead worship while our leader is out of town or something like that). Although, last time I did that on a bari uke so maybe it is time to move the guitars on out since I otherwise haven't touched them since picking up the uke. :)

John

I did exactly the same thing myself about three weeks ago mate. It's been sitting unloved in the case for the last few years, just never get it out anymore, and like you, I've played for near on 25 years too. (Thankfully my wife still has hers should the rare moment hit when I do want to play one). No regrets for me because, like I said, it just never gets played anymore and the gal who bought it did so as a gift to her young son, they were both thrilled with it...win / win. :)

Don't do it! My guitars don't get nearly as much attention these days, so I know exactly where you're coming from. I also know that every time I sell one of my instruments (doesn't matter which), a year or so down the road I end up regretting it and wishing I wouldn't have sold it.

Chances are that you're craving for some guitar playing will come back at some point and you'll be sad...like me. :)

Trade you guitar for a great ukulele!

I year and a half ago, I traded my Fender Telecaster for a Kiwaya KTC-1 mahogany concert and then my Huss & Dalton steel string for my Collings UT2-K and played the new ukes every day for hours where I used used to play the guitars about once a week. I just gave the Kiwaya to a friend and sold the Collings to a great UU member.

I have a 48-year old Classical Guitar given to me by my favorite Aunt and I could never sell that so I gave it to my 18-year old daughter and she's created a YouTube channel of original music with that instrument - so its going to stay in the family forever.

I have no regrets nor desire to return to the guitar given my new fascination with baritone ukuleles. I just acquired a phenomenal vintage Harmony (from Artisan Guitars) and an excellent Favilla from a UU member and have Southcoast strings on both. They are tuned DGBE and dGBE respectively so they are very reminiscent of my guitars but with the wonderful ukulele feeling. I also have a master grade Koa mya-moe tuned to linear Bb with Southcoasts.

Once a month a visit my local music store Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas and they have the best selection of guitars in the state but also carry Collings and Kiwaya ukuleles. Every time I try one of their great guitars, even the small O and parlor models it feels like an elephant in my hands compared to the ukes.

I'll never say never to having a guitar in the future - like the smallest Martin, Collings, or Goodall made out of Koa but its way, way in the back of my mind right now.

Last edited:
I still love my guitars. Ordered a new Fender just the other day in fact. Plenty of time for both kinds of instruments. Oh and the bass too! :cool:

I rarely play my guitars anymore since picking up the uke over 2 years ago. I do still grab them from time to time and still love the guitar. I've sold 3 or 4 of my high end Gibsons to help fund ukes but I've still got 8 or 9 guitars left that I'll probably keep for when the urge hits me. I also have a nice old 65 Gibson RB-100 banjo that i dont know how to play that im saving for retirement when i'll have more time to hopefully learn how to play it. If not i'll sell it to fund another Collings. Lol.
By the way I'm the one that bought Newkids Collings and looking very much forward to enjoying it. I love Collings ukes!!

While my ukes now outnumber my guitars about 3 to 1, I still play and enjoy them and don't plan to ever sell them. And my lone mandolin too!

I gave away all my guitars bar one,about three
months after I got into ukulele.And I sold that
one later,as it was the most valuable of the lot!
I gave the others to friends,so they are getting
used regularly,which they were no longer doing
in my care,and is what they were made for after
all!

I traded my classical guitar for my Kamaka HF-2, and I don't miss it. I did however keep my Composite Acoustic OX steel string, I love that guitar and doubt I’ll ever get rid of it, even if it doesn't get played much anymore. I know there is always the chance I may go back to the guitar someday and I already own the one I searched for years to solve my GAS.

I've been going back and forth from guitar to uke and back for a few years now. On some level I really want to like the guitar more than I do. I bought a Martin 0-12 with a slotted head stock and it is the guitar of my dreams. All mahogany, comfortable, and such sweet tone when finger picked. I had a finger injury a few years back and playing the guitar just doesn't do my fingers any good and honestly I am loving the sound of nylon strings on the uke. So, the Martin will be up for sale soon, to be replaced by ukes.

Both my daughters can play a bit of uke and I have them hanging all over the house. Uke just brings TONS of joy to our lives. Just love that uke.

When I realized the uke can make a kid-ass folk instrument, my days on the guitar were numbered.

Thanks for your input everyone....
I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. The guitar in question is not one I'm emotionally attached to, sounds OK but nothing jaw-dropping...and if I discover I really want a guitar again, it gives me an excuse to go shopping ( I love shopping for anything with strings on it)!

Cheers,
r_d

Nope, never. My Fender Strat Robin Trower imitations are WAY too good and the Martin and Taylor are really pleasing to the ear.
That said, I play my Pono more these days 'cause it's just a blast.

I don't play nearly as much guitar as I used too, but I don't believe I could ever be without a couple.
I thinned out the collection a little of instruments that I never played.
A few guitars and ukuleles and a mandolin I never learned.

Top Bottom