Custom Aquila All Reds dGBE Baritone tuning

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
I have decided to create a customized Aquila All Reds set for dGBE Baritone tuning. I know our friend Mimmo at Aquila doesn't
sell a set like this, and I know the current thinking is that a full baritone Reds set will not be tonally even, still - I have to try.
I'm very much a - gotta see and hear for myself kinda guy. :)

So, here it goes. A base Reds 89U Baritone set has these gauges:
.67, .88, Wound, Wound

In addition, a single unwound Red 73U Baritone low G is .90.

So, the thought is:
E - the .67 from the 89U
B - the .88 from the 89U
G - the .90 73U single
d - a .67 from another 89U set.

What do you think? At this point, I'm focusing on strumming, not fingerpicking. If this is not perfectly tonally balanced fingerpicking but sounding and feeling good strumming, I'll call it a success.

I'm a huge Aquila fan from my experiences in the bass world, and I have to at least Try to establish an all Reds dGBE for my baritone uke.

If some of you knowledgeable string people don't shoot this down, I'll go ahead with the experiment, and I'll share my results with you here.

Why not just use the two single string packets for baritone? 74U is a low monofilament red string, and so is 73U . There is a fellow in our Thurs. nite group who has both on his baritone. If they are such sought after items, perhaps I should raise my price to more than 1.75 and 1.65 respectively.

I'm not following you, unless you mean to use the 74U/D - 1.28 width - for low tuning, not re-entrant dGBE, which is what I'm currently looking to do.
Is that what you meant - to add the thick unwound D and go for DGBE?

I now have - most of - the Reds on.
It's my own dGBE set, with the d, B, and E all Reds, and the G still wound.
The G is not replaced with a Red unwound yet - only because it didn't arrive yet.

I'm loving the Reds - the sound, and the feel. The previous set was a stock GHS Hawaiian set.
Sounds and feels much, much better. I'll report back again when I'm 100% Red. :D

The unwound G is now on my baritone uke. I'm loving it.

I'm finding the set very well balanced. I don't have a great uke ear yet, so maybe I don't hear it, but I don't hear
any imbalance among the strings. They sound balanced and great together. And they feel Fantastic.

It's added a whole lotta fun to this uke.

So you are wanting a rentrant DGBE baritione? I take dGBE to mean a low fourth string. I checked with my salesman, and he said that both the third and fourth single strings come as unwound, but the four string set has three and four as wound. Yes, for reentrant tuning, the first and fourth are interchangeable.

I thinking on throwing a set of the Reds, with 3&4th wound on my Webber bari. Is the tension on the 1&2nd much like the Cordes or the Nylguts. Can't stand the feel of the Nylgut but like the Cordes.

So you are wanting a rentrant DGBE baritione? I take dGBE to mean a low fourth string. I checked with my salesman, and he said that both the third and fourth single strings come as unwound, but the four string set has three and four as wound. Yes, for reentrant tuning, the first and fourth are interchangeable.

I guess I had it backwards then. I meant High D then GBE low to high.

Yes, Aquila doesn't offer a set the way I am doing it. I had to take a Baritone Reds set and combine it with the Reds single Low D.
Loving it.

I thinking on throwing a set of the Reds, with 3&4th wound on my Webber bari. Is the tension on the 1&2nd much like the Cordes or the Nylguts. Can't stand the feel of the Nylgut but like the Cordes.

I can't compare to those yet. My only comparison in the baritone uke world is to the GHS Hawaiians that came stock.
The Reds for me are far more comfortable than the GHS strings.

I can't compare to those yet. My only comparison in the baritone uke world is to the GHS Hawaiians that came stock.
The Reds for me are far more comfortable than the GHS strings.

I put a set of DiAddario T2's and took them off with in an hour and put the old aquilas back on. The flurocarbons were too soft. The T2's sound great on my Favilla though. I fingerpick mostly so like a good tension on the strings along with a wound 3 & 4th.

I found a good string for my tenors in the Southcoast ML-RW's but haven't found a set of wound strings in G for my bari.

Tonight I put on the wound G from the Red set. So, this customized Aquila Red set is now:

E unwound Red from set
B unwound Red from set
G wound from Red set
high d, using high unwound Red E from a second Red set

Sounds better than ever. That wound G from the Aquila Reds set is far softer and sweeter than what I previously had on the uke. [GHS Hawaiians]
And I admit this lineup is balancing and singing nicer than when I had the previous unwound G on.

Sounding and feeling very, very nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom