FS; Older 5 String Bay State Claw Hammer Banjo re-built by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
This is not a uke but an old re-built 5 string banjo I purchased years ago, and
ended up re-building the entire neck because of it poor condition. It has a new
ebony fingerboard, head plate and heel cap. The neck is also reinforced with a
graphite truss rod. The frets are standard size and there are 5th string railroad
spikes at the 7th, 9th and 11th frets. The nut is bone. All the MOP inlays are new
as are the 5 Star planetary geared pegs. I refinished the neck to match the inside
of the banjo pot. The pot is all original and is the spun over type with 24 hooks
and shoe brackets. The head size is 10" in diameter and the playing scale is 24",
sometimes referred to as a Ladies banjo. The original maker is the John C. Haynes $
Co., sold under the Bay State Label, made in Boston. The arm rest is new. The banjo
head is a Fiberskyn. The tailpiece is the original Claw design that came with the
banjo. This is a great playing claw hammer style banjo with that old sound and it
has been in my shop for the past 10 years. I used it as a shop banjo when I was in
the mood to play. The only reason I am selling it is because I have too many banjos
and I am building a couple of new ones. I don't have a case for it but I will double
box for safe shipping. Shipping is $45 in the lower 48 states. I will not ship
outside the USA. I will be happy to answer any questions. Thanks for looking.

SOLD

Attachments

• 5-String Banjo 2013-03-24a.jpg
    5-String Banjo 2013-03-24a.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 5-String Banjo 2013-03-24c.jpg
    5-String Banjo 2013-03-24c.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 5-String Banjo 2013-03-24b.jpg
    5-String Banjo 2013-03-24b.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 5-String Banjo 2013-03-24ad.jpg
    5-String Banjo 2013-03-24ad.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
The next vintage banjo ukulele you re-do please contact me directly. =) Still can't take my mind of the one in your gallery.

Ah, this is great. Is the neck straight now that it has reinforcement? Can it handle standard steel banjo strings?

Thanks

Ah, this is great. Is the neck straight now that it has reinforcement? Can it handle standard steel banjo strings?

Thanks

The neck is straight and always has been. Since I was rebuilding the neck, I added the graphite truss rod for insurance. It has steel strings on it and has for the last 10 years.

I can't entertain a reasonable offer, I'm broke! But would sure like to add another Black Bear to my herd. It even has the same inlays as my tenor!

I would if I could, but I'm currently trying to downsize the collection. Maybe down the road if this hasn't sold. I don't mind bumping this for you, though!

Top Bottom