Best Uke Capo?

Tsani

Reaction score
I am looking for a capo to use on my concert uke that I play in church with our praise band. I am often called on to make quick key changes, so I need a good capo that goes on quickly and silently. I prefer something like a "Kyser" that uses a spring and "clothes pin" type action. The one I use now has a racheting type closure and it is not good. It makes too much noise when you put it on. The old elastic type is bad also. Too slow. I am not very optimistic about anything that uses some kind of screw action.

Another pet peeve is that I do not like anything that sticks out backward behind the neck because my arm or wrist will bump into it.

Are the Kysers all made for 6 string? I see them advertised and they lump guitar, bass, banjo and uke all together. That makes me think that the bar that holds the strings down will be too long.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited:
The best is what makes the person happy that owns it. That is different for different people. I think in general Shubb and Shubb lite capos have the greatest following. I have a G-7th capo and I am very happy with it on my tenor, and it is certainly a keeper. That being said I think the Shubb lite may meet your needs the best.

+1 on the Shubb Lite. The low-weight makes all the difference (this from a guy whose best guitar capo is an Elliot, with screw action!)

I like the kyser, and they make a short one for uke/mando. I had an old guitar one lying around. I just took a hack saw and file to it,now it's a uke capo.

I just got myself a new Shubb "lite" ukulele capo. It works pretty well, but it's not obvious how to put it on the first time. Don't throw out the paper instructions! hehe

Petey

Your index finger...okay...I'll shut up now ;)

John

Thanks Petey :)

On a more serious note, don't overlook tuning up. At least try it. Many ukuleles actually sound and intonate better tuned up as much as one or 1-1/2 steps (i.e. to "D" or "Eb" tuning), and some sound good tuned down as much as a step (below that things go pretty floppy). So, this means that you can pretty easily cover all keys without a capo. Now, obviously, if you need to change keys on every song this might not help - but if the reason you're wanting to capo is to bring things into range with your voice, I'd certainly consider investigating tunings before capos. Capos work well on steel-string guitars but with a uke you're already looking at a very short scale, limited sustain, and a somewhat cramped fingerboard. If you can make a tuning work for you then you'll avoid worsening an already narrow range.

Just my $0.02 - or $20.00 given inflation...

John

I have done extensive research on capos - not in the uke world, but the guitar world.
Translation: at one time or another, I have tried every type of capo. :)

I learned that the spring ones like the Kyser, while they are nice and easy and silent, can sometimes put
too much pressure on the strings, leading to the instrument being out of tune. As far as intonation goes,
the Shubb won for me because you could vary the pressure and use Precisely what is needed and not a drop more.

Don't use capos but noticed that Kala just introduced a new line under $20

I'm with Newportlocal--I really like my G7th capo. If I have to admit to using a capo in public (oh, the shame of not mastering more up the neck chords), then I really appreciate having a capo that works so well and looks so darn nice, too.

I'm with Newportlocal--I really like my G7th capo. If I have to admit to using a capo in public (oh, the shame of not mastering more up the neck chords), then I really appreciate having a capo that works so well and looks so darn nice, too.

Ken Middleton did an enlightening post on capo use in this thread.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?52823-Shubb-Ukulele-Capo/page4&highlight=Capo
I have a Rabbit Muse song I like to play. I just put my capo on. Works for me.
http://www.kiwiukulele.co.nz/songs/darkness.pdf

I like the kyser, and they make a short one for uke/mando. I had an old guitar one lying around. I just took a hack saw and file to it,now it's a uke capo.
Yeah, I thought about that. There is a price difference on buying the uke/mando capo. I can get the guitar version for a low price, but they want to make the uke players pay full retail price.

Top Bottom