Ain't No Grave - banjo reborn as ukulele

ChrisHill

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and been inspired by many great videos here - this is my first post. In particular, I really liked pabrizzer's "Ain't No Grave" and I felt driven to adapt it for my baritone banjo uke. The instrument is a 100 year old tenor banjo that belonged to my great-grandfather 'reborn' as a uke with some bari strings. Hope you like it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO92-tcHKyE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
That was wonderful! Really enjoyed it.

Dang Chris, that was cool. Welcome bigtime. What bari strings did you put on? Did you tune it to G tuning? I have an old tenor banjo that's been on the wall for years. Definitly was played in it's day. there's a pen and ink drawing of a flapper girl drawn on the skin.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

Patrick: Stringing up the tenor as a baritone uke ended up being a bit more complicated than I'd hoped. To get strings long enough for the scale I had to use a hybrid set: the two bass strings are D'Addario Nyltech Baritone (EJ88B) and the two treble strings are D'Addario t2 Titanium Baritone (EJ87B). My knot ends are pretty crude, but they seem to be holding up ok. I ended up tuning up to A because G sounded like jangly mush and I like a bit more tension anyway. Your tenor sounds cool - would love to see and hear it!

Top Bottom