Sobering experience...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
New one for me: Client has died just as I was about to ship their instrument. I now this is not common but I have to ask: "Has this happened to anyone else?" When I took the call from his son I just didn't know what to say... :(

I pay my custom builds up front..
in case something like this happens, the ukulele I ordered will get to my family and my family knowing how much I love the uke hopefully would let them feel a part of me in it ..also I trust the luthier that I choose so no reason to hold on to the the money that I plan to use for that uke..

but it must of been hard to speak to the son..i get your main point.

only my 2 cents

Last edited:
Wow. That is a sobering conversation to have. Life is short...make every moment count.

Enjoy every taco.

I once went into the place for our gig and the server informed me one of the regulars had passed. I knew him well enough, and our lead guitarist knew him personally as a good friend. This was sad news. What we did not expect was that, through his Living Will, we were hired to perform at his funeral. His ashes were to be scattered to the sea, and he requested our band be aboard the charter, performing for his friends and family during service.

True Story. He requested we play Dead Flowers.

R.I.P Ron (I actually teared up just now typing all this, too) :(

It's the other way round for me...I won't take a commision co's i could "Kick the bucket" before I finish it.:eek:ld:

I hope the widow plays it, enjoys it, and feels comfort knowing this was a custom job commissioned by her husband. I can't imagine getting a call like that, Pete...

The widow is buying the ukulele - that's not the issue....

Just as long as she actually wants it and isn't just being English polite honouring her late husband's hobby/order which she secretly found annoying.

Top Bottom